Target on tv3 Now

cichlid7

Target is probably the biggest load of rubbish ever to hit NZ

They did a show on glaziers years ago and their expert said there was no such thing as a trademan glazier... Their expert had been in the countey for not very long and simply didnt know... didnt know the regulations either. A friend was on it and was praised as being the best but over night he lost two thirds of his bussiness.

They have no credibilty at all and quite frankly, those that take them as being gosbel are as foolish as the program is

sorry if I have offended any one but the program is so full of faults and mistakes that if people cant see it, they must belive in the tooth fairy

No, I have never been in or on the program but being in a trade, you get to see all the rubbish

Fair Go is at least factual in what they do

Agree with Barrie. When they did one on electricians a few years ago 3 out of 4 were shown to be cowboys...however they didn't show the other 20 odd they also set up who were good at the job! I don't believe in "set them up" television!

Remember the one where a sparky was caught going through a lafys knickers?

A friend made a fortune from that as people were judging all sparkys by that one... all the people wanted to be home on the day that he was working on their house so he satrted working from 3.30 to 8 at night and chargeing out a minimum of 2 hours at time and a half.

Even today I had a guy (office worker ) that said to me that he wanted to be home when my guy did some work for him as he didnt know if he could trust him... my answer was "If you cant trust my guys, that tells me that I cant trust you. How do I know that your not going to steal your own stuff and blame my guys for it?" I told him I wasnt interested in doing the job unless he was going to be there and he would need to take a day off work if he wanted us to do the work (I am the only one that has the right to fix these showers under garentee). He changed his mind about trusting us but I didnt and he now has to take the day off

TARGET IS A LOAD OF RUBBISH

The affair between Barbie and Ken is more real

haha good one barrie

A mate of mine has a very obvious but fake camera which he's set up in various places around his place when he's been getting work done by tradesmen. Has got some quality jobs and good prices too over the years!

i didn't see target, but from my personal experience:

we have been with NZ Couriers for nearly 3 years and have only had 1 item damaged and 5 items lost, which they were very prepared to pay out on. most of the items we ship get to the destination overnight, and we have a lot of very happy client, most of which are now regular buyers.

prior to using NZC, we were using fastways, and i have nothing but bad things to say about them. many items lost. some items severly damaged (one we are still awaiting payment for 4 yrs later).

you got it cic

JK mentioned what the problem is... after seeing programs like target, his mate feels that all tradesmen need to be watched and that you cant trust them. 95% are good people that do the best job they can and give their best advise that they belive is correct.

Lets compare that to say lawyers... 50% are wrong in court and you are fined or go to jail. Doctors still have people die and wrongly jailed. Teachers are still teaching kids that grow up to be murderers and crooks. Accountants make mistakes that are picked up by the IRD and companies still go under.

What Im getting at is in every field of employment (and life) there are bad eggs and people that make mistakes but target makes a soap opra from the few bad ones yet in all the mistakes they have made (and I would love to do a show on them) they have only said sorry and admitted to 2 and both of those had the money to sue the rear ends off. As in the first glazing one, by them saying there is no such thing as a tradesman glazier, they discredited me indirectly as I am a tradesman with advanced trade cert. I looked at sueing them when they would not admit publicly to being wrong but it was estermated to cost me $40,000 and 2 to 3 years... was it worth my time... no. End result was they got away with calling every tradesman glazier a lier.

I again repeat that I have never been on or in the program (but belive that one day almost all tradesmen in Auckland will end up on it) When they do, I will sell my home to sue them if they make one mistake. In my factory I have a sign saying no recording devises

yep i agree that target is a load of BS.

bout as real as sensing murder :lol:

despite seeing all the dodgy dudes on target, i very rarely have a customer that doesn't trust me in their home by myself.

funnily enough those are usually the people who go through the whole job with a fine tooth comb and complain about stuff that i can do nothing about, or has nothing at all to do with me.

you got it cic

JK mentioned what the problem is... after seeing programs like target, his mate feels that all tradesmen need to be watched and that you cant trust them. 95% are good people that do the best job they can and give their best advise that they belive is correct.

\

Sorry barrie you've missed the boat on my point.....your boats gone to waiheke mate but this ones only going to rangi.

What i was pointing out is that hes been taking advantage of the pressures put on tradespeople as result of the show. I am sure he trusts them fine (otherwise a fake camera wont do shit will it) but by putting this fake cam out he's been getting better deals than hes been quoted etc. It's a bit unfair on the tradespeople etc but it does show you the effect the Target has had.

Hell i still even trust tradespeople in my home even after having numerous items stolen by a dodgy carpet layer years ago!

The post office use courierpost. They have lost one of my parcels and delayed one for two weeks and I have sent a lot over the last few years. The problem is that what I send is not permitted material so it is no good making a claim. What they don't know doesn't worry them. I am happy to stay with them. It is cheaper to send through the post office (who use courierpost) than to send directly through courierpost.

A lot of couriers are franchise owners. You can't complain about a whole courier company based on one.

If one courier is letting the franchise down then you have to. I know target is bollocks, but when I buy an NZ Courier bag I can't pick my courier owner/driver who delivers it, I have to trust that the Franchise parent company ensures the drivers follow a set of rules laid out, such as not dropping fragile packages.

Spidersweb, whilest I have partial agreement with your argument, useing your points, as we are all NZers are we all guilty of murder as other NZers have murdered?

I know its a stupid argument but the principal is the same

My own policy has been ever since I've been in bussiness (21years) is to do the best deal I can for the best price I can. I have no doupt that some people possibly feel ripped of but I know in my heart I have never done that.

Target would , Im sure find something wrong some where if they dug long enough

Yeah I complained about Target back in 2003 about several things, same subject as this topic, setting people up, misrepresentation etc

Actually ended up on the phone with the producer of the show (was rather suprised they actually called me, let alone the producer). While I didn't beleive what she said, she tried to assure me they make their upmost effort to give 100% factual information, I see a Tui advert in that.

And yeah I know what you mean about 'grouping people'. If one courier driver fails, it doesn't mean they're all bad, but it does mean the franchise as a whole can't not be 100% trusted.

I wouldn't say Fastways are perfect, they might've just got lucky, only way to do a serious test would be to send 100 packages around the country with fragile on them to get an average breakage percentage.

Smith & Smith sold some wallpaper to a person who took one end off the box then didnt hang the wallpaper.

10 years later they complained because the paper had faded at one end... the paper was fade resistant..not fade proof... fair go said they should replace the wallpaper

Speaking as a NZ courier I would just like to point out that people should not tar all couriers with the same brush. While most take pride in their work there are some who do not just like any job or profession anywhere in the world. Couriers are usually under very tight time constraints and work long hours. It is also very frustrating ( working with the public)and poorly paid if you put $ to hours worked. Although classed as self employed we can only contract to whatever company we are affiliated to, no outside work is permitted which means we do what they tell us to do, also the company can change the work they give you with 7 days notice. As regards to fragile packages how many can you sit on the top of the pile? Many parcels have fragile stickers on when in fact they are not fragile. The people who load the parcels into the approriate bins usually work graveyard hours for minimum wage, I make no excuses for courier drivers who do not execute their job to the highest standard possible but truly feel that target should take a look from the other side of the fence.

Thanks exactly right Jim

How about doing a few programs on the way that we all get ripped off. The public in general think that all in business for them selves earn a huge income. I have had people say to me very often "you can afford it, you work for yourself" and think thats its OK not to pay you

the amount of people that plan on ripping a business off right from the first contact is huge