Caught the nano bug

Aaron-Betta

I have used Dalton's aquatic mix and ran into the problems described by Warren as rotting and getting sulfuric gas bubbles and eventually killing my plants, also having blue green algae as well.

Problem was solved when I boiled the Dalton's mix, sandwiched it between layers of boiled, clean propagating sand and rebuilt my planted tank.

Since this is only a small tank, just boil the substrates you use.

Or if you have extra cash just buy the laterite that the HFF guy recommends, it's really good stuff, check out Pupuke aquarium's setup to confirm, I think they use laterite as well.

Thin layer of Daltons, you don't need much, only a few mm deep bed right on the glass floor.

Cover with gravel, thin gravel, like you'd normally find in a fishtank. Try to get as much as you can in there. Glarring at my fingers I'd guess a minimum of 50mm (considering your tank size, normally I'd try for more than that).

Put in any rooted plants.

Slowly fill with water, the slower you do it the less crap you'll get in the water. Hopefully the water will be clear, if not get some fine filter wool in the filter and P-Clear (a liquid that bonds particles together in aquariums).

Usually the fish will produce enough nutrients/waste to keep the plants happy long before you'll run out of daltons nutrient. And if you DO experience nutrient lacking problems, a simple JBL Ball (substrate fert ball) can be squashed in near the plant that needs it.

If your plants are all stem plants, then it wont be of any use, use Flourish instead or even better home made PMDD.

If it's the stuff just simply called 'Aquatic Mix' the the guy at HFF is 100% correct - it's no good. It contains a large amount of organic matter that rots at the bottom of the substrate. Within months you will get gas bubbles with a strong sulphur smell coming from under the substrate. I'd recommend changing it before you get too far down the track before your tank gets poisoned.

Warren, I have been using Daltons for a couple of years now and what you have stated above has not been the case at all.

I have very successful growth and have never had any bubbles form in my substrate.

Not saying your wrong, just pointing out that I find the stuff great and will continue to use it.

well, I have just finished cleaning the tank out again and have layered a bit of Daltons on the bottom. Now washing my stones by hand so I can salvage what I can so I have enough. Only brought them about a week ago, no use in throwing it all out, just a pain trying to wash the aquatic mix out of them. :roll:

ive used dalton aquatic mix with good results see my introduction thread, dont know if it is the best stuff but it has helped me with success, last time i was down there i spoke to a guy who they said he was the guy who was in charge of the mixes, he also mentioned that the they sold a decorative mix, pumice based, that may have been propagation, the only thing was that it was 5 mm +, i wasn't sure if it was gona be too big for my set up. But he said the people at Palmy, Wet Pets, rave about the stuff for plants.

• 3 weeks later...

righty, update time.

Since my last posts, I have stripped it down and started again using Daltons. Still trying to get over an algae problem. Have been treating with half doses of algaefix.

nano7.jpg

Plants seem to be slowly taking off with the exception of my windelov pieces, some pieces are good while others are a bit dead looking. Have been told it sometimes dies off and starts again, either that or it might not like the algaefix. Have added a few plantlets of dwarf sag to the background and also a small tiger lotus in the foreground. Currently using Flourish excel and Leaf zone on alternate days. Brought a small GAE to help with the algae problem. Currently stocked with a few guppies to keep the GAE company.

Looking good Aaron!

Regarding the Tiger Lotus, be aware that it will get progressively bigger and bigger and then one day you will come home and it will have doubled in size over 2 days and you can't see anything else in the tank!

Great plants though! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Regarding the Tiger Lotus, be aware that it will get progressively bigger and bigger and then one day you will come home and it will have doubled in size over 2 days and you can't see anything else in the tank!

Are you speaking from experience? :)

Mine probably wont get too big because of the lack of lighting and the water current around it. Hoping it will go out not up.

• 4 weeks later...

nano8.jpg

Well, things have taken off! especially the water wysteria (sp). Is there any way to control its growth? eg, stop it from taking over the tank, lol.

Have added some Red Rubin Swords and a Leopard somethingerother (forgotten the name, but thanks Alan :D). I also have some new windelov as I dont seem to have any luck growing it on my piece of wood. (thanks Luke) I have started training some java moss to grow over the wood to help hold my new windelov on.

TigerLotus.jpg

any comments, ideas, criticisms always welcome.

looks great aaron! must admit that i caught the nano bug last week and decided to set up an AR380 which i'm trying to stock at the moment with some nice plants.. Also bought a female blue ram so i'm looking to stick my male in the tank with her next week and hopefully try my luck at raising some fry.

PS what fertlizers are you dosing? and what sort of water change schedule are you on? I need to buy some form of liquid fertilizer but not sure what would be the best