Hi from Whakatane.

Snorkel

Hi eveyone! I 've just joined up. Been keeping fish on and off most of my life. Not a beginner, but definately no expert either. I have one 300litre tank which I have just set back up after a three year break from it. While wondering what to put in it, I lucked onto this site... Looks great! One of the things I have found about fish-keeping is that not many (if any) of my friends are interested (not surprisingly!) so a place like this is much appreciated by me ..... Yay! I wont be lonely anymore!!! :)

Hi & welcome.

It makes it so much easier to keep up the interest and ride out the setbacks if you have people to talk about stuff with! I'm always getting re-inspired by looking at pics of other people's tanks and hearing about their ideas.

Hope to see you around here for a while :)

good stuff Snorkle, yeah i just joined up this week aswell, it feels real good to know that you are connected with people of the same interests, my mates appreciate my hobby, and my wife does too within reason (she still isn't gona let me buy the Frontosia colony i've always wanted). Whats Whakatane like for fish stores? Not to good in Tauranga so we always go down to Rotorua, hes the man!!!

Thanks for the friendly welcomes everybody! Nice... Fish shops in Whakatane are non-existant, nothin at all. Trying to get a couple of fish for my tank in the local small lake that was an old Whakatane River course. I found a dead one floating, I think it was a wild goldfish, about 300mm, a cool looking fish. Big scaled, bronzed coloured thing a bit too far decomposed to touch! I,ll put a photo up if I can catch one.

Yup, we have not got any fish shops. Our local vets have tried to fill the void that was left when the local pet shop closed - They have a few freshwater fish - not tropicals.

I find that wonderworld in rotorua is really good- they have a sizable fish room - well worth a visit they have a good amount of livestock.

Cheers for that camnbron. Yes,I have been wonderworld, awsome shop. I'm over spending loads of money on my tank thou, and thats just the place to do it! :wink: I was in there two weeks ago gettin a thermometer, and I kept getting drawn to a huge tank/cabinet combo down the back for 5G's..... One day! Meanwhile, back in reality, I,m looking for some wild goldfish.

lol awatapu lagoon?? youd probably get a eel over a fish in there though i have wondered about fising in there before.... lol good luck though mate, if your over these ways drop by animal antics on hewletts road, they pretty good, always been good to me anyway, rather than some national chaoin stores that we have....... grrrr....

Thanx for the offer. Very kind, I was gonna restart my tank with bristlnose and neons and CO2'd plants untill I saw this quite large dead, floating fish in our local pond (Sullivan's Lake), and now I'm quite keen to catch a couple and have a go at keepin 'em. I'm not really sure what they are, but I'm curious to find out. I googled "wild goldfish" and it is said that they can get to 3.5 kilos! Now I'm learning about carp, goldfish and all sorts of fish I had never bothered with. The weird thing is, no-one seems to know much about the ones living in Sullivan's. I talked to a man who lives right there on the lakeside, and He said in the spring, at night the fish leap right out of the water and land with a resounding slap, which goes on all night. He said that He has seen dead ones to about 5 lb! Fishermans exaggeration I'm sure. I cant wait to get one! :o

Mabee, but I dont think so. There is a big sign up saying "keep our waterways free of koi" or something like that. If I can get one I'll put up a photo. Meanwhile here is the tank the wild goldies are gonna go in... Hopefully. IMG_2166400x100.jpg 1500x450x450. Been up and running for a week.

Hi & welcome snorkel!

Nice tank :bow: I didn't know you get get goldies in the wild there, neat!

Caryl wrote:

some carry on about their dogs or cats. I like them as animals but they are not little furry people

You're right Caryl, but I have met furry people who are not as nice as my furry pets :o :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: and I trust my furry felines more than some people :o 8)

Take care & have fun snorkel! Post pics of fishies when you get them.

Caper

Last night armed with a spotlite and a scoop net, we took a walk around Sullivan's lake. This is the result... IMG_2211200x300.jpg Sadly it was sick and died overnight. It was a hen fish, 380mm long, about 2-3lbs in weight, and heavy with spawn. It appeared to have some type of fungal scale disease, I'm no expert and just guessing thou. It could of been anything, but had no obvious injuries. We saw one other which was healthy and took off quickly when the light went on it. Wild goldfish. :oIMG_2200300x200.jpg