Hi from Whakatane.

Snorkel

is a hen fish a wild goldfish :oops:

Caper

I think a hen is a female fish and a jack is a male but I'm not totally sure.

Are the wild goldfish only that colour or can they be different colours?

Yes that's right, hen fish is female, jack is male. Cam, I saw a big gold colored goldfish where this was found. It was in good shape and took off as soon as the light went on it. I'm no expert, but I think the majority of them are a drab bronze colour. Gold ones probably get thinned out quickly in the wild. Will learn more shortly, I've only just become interested in these fish. However, they are common thru-out the country I believe. Coars anglers actually catch plenty of them, and to surprising sizes as well. Dough baits work well I'm told.

The wild goldfish are noctornal, during the day they must hide from the Giant Cormorants under the weed to avoid being eaten. At night they are simply caught by placing a scoop-net in front of them. I caught one and kept it for 24hrs in my 1500x450x450 tank. It seemed to take quickly to its new surroundings. It was 300mm long and heavy for its length. However it was not an ideal situation and I soon changed my mind about keeping it. JC360, you were right, a much larger tank is required! A pond would be best.

It joined its sick mate in the compost bin. "Stop the spread" and all that. Dont worry theres plenty more where that one came from. I wont be catching anymore from there. Incidently, these wild goldies are found everywhere in this area but no-one seems to know much about them. Sullivans Lake looks desserted of fish in the day, but take a look around the edges at night and it teems with gambusia and shrimp. I am keen to have a look around some more local waterways with the lite. It is fascinating.

used to find all sorts of fish n shrimp etc when i lived on parents farm in waimana, had many intentions of making a native stream style tank but moved out before i got the chance, id love to do it eventually.

Did you find just wild goldfish or any other species of fish?