Winter Warmers

Ok, the cold has really set in, do any of you have a favourite winter warmer you'd like to share?

Spent the morning in the kitchen filling our slow cooker with veges for a vege soup.

Started with one of those pre-made soup pouches then added:

A large onion, a bit of garlic, kumara, parsnip, parsley, pumpkin, mushrooms, carrots, red capsicum, courgette, potato and swede. I just diced them all up into cm cubes and set the slow cooker on high, seaoned with salt and pepper to taste easy as. :D

Yum!!

I'm a soup girl too...Nothing better than a bowl of steaming freshly made soup on a cold winters day! I usually make HEAPS then pour serving-size amounts into containers, freeze then take up to the boy so he's fed for the week 8) I think I spoil him a bit much lol :oops:

I cook allsorts of different kinds of soups, but faves would be chicken and vege, leek and potato, pumpkin and pea and ham. I always use freshly *made chicken stock- far better flavour than even the Campbells stuff and easy and cheap to make. Just boil up the bones from a roast chook with diced carrot, celery stalk, onion, peppercorns and a bayleaf for about an hour :D

I start all my soups by slowly sweating an onion and finely diced garlic clove in some olive oil over a very low heat, for about 10-15 mins to bring the sweetness of the onion. (For leek and potato the onion is replaced with a leek of course 8) ).

* For chicken and vege I'd then add diced veges and chicken stock and bring to the boil as well as a handful of lentils and split peas, after simmering 1/2 hour I add a couple of diced chicken breasts and simmer until it's cooked.

Leek and potato- after sweating the leek and garlic I throw in diced potato and chicken stock and bring to the boil, then simmer until the spuds are beginning to fall apart..

*Pumpkin- I usually add a little curry powder to the onions at the start, then add pumpkin cubes and chicken stock. While it's simmering I roast a head of garlic in the oven (leave skin on, drizzle w olive oil, wrap in foil then roast at 180C for about 45 mins or until soft). Once the pumpkin is tender i pour the mix into a blender, squeeze the garlic in, and add a couple of tablespoons of cream then whizz it up till its all smooth...Yum!

*Pea and Ham- for this one I cheat and use a packet mix (Kings ones are good) and just use water instead of stock otherwise it gets way too salty. I throw in a ham hock or some bacon bones to give it extra flavour and chop the meat off the bones into the soup when its cooked.

Another great winter warming recipe is beef and red wine casserole- (could be done really well in a slow cooker too). Cube some rump steak and dust in seasoned flour, then brown in a heavy based pan. Add onions, garlic, and diced mushrooms and gently fry for a few minutes, then take out and place into a casserole dish. Add a cup of good red wine to the pan and scrape up all the bits of meat, etc from the bottom, then make up 1 cup of instant gravy and add to the pan. Mix this into the casserole dish as well as some chopped thyme, cover, then bake at 160C for two hours so the meat is really tender. Serve with creamy mashed spuds and steamed green beans and carrots. And the wine of course :lol:

mmmm Ok I'm so hungry now!!

There's some good winter beers out there, I particularly like the Resurrection Ale from Galbraiths (don't bother looking for it in the supermarket, you can only get it at the bar/brewery in Auckland) and Macs Sassy Red is pretty good also.

Jamie Oliver's recipe for Beef and Guinness Pie is a fantastic winter warmer if you can spare the time to make it! Recipe

I like Simian's suggestion better.

Wonder what his wife looks like?

hmmmmm?

Does she travel well?

lol

Navarre

:lol: :lol: Gee Nav... go snag your own :lol: Gee scratching around after some other mans pickings :wink:

I love soup in winter time, the best and only good part of winter actually... I am not a winter person... I was bred for desert type conditions I have decided :roll: And need to be laying flat out on a hot rock at the moment.

Hot thick Pumpkin Soup with toasted French Stick or a nice Beef Stew or Beef Stoganoff... mmmmmmm

How about mulled wine?

You basically take some red wine, some citrus and some whole spices, bung them all in a pot and heat slowly. The house fills with a lovely spicey smell so it's nice to welcome cold and weary travellers with a roaring fire and some mulled wine!

A bit more detail on the ingredients for anyone who's interested:

1 bottle red wine (cheap but not nasty!)

1 stick cinnamon

1 star anise

6 cloves

Some sliced ginger root

1 orange - just the very outer zest and the juice - don't put the white pith in.

Optional: some honey or brown sugar or a cupful of sherry or some brandy or green ginger wine.

All the spices are optional and interchangeable so have fun experimenting with whatever you've got.

Warm the wine gently and don't let it boil. A crock-pot on low is perfect, or on a trivet on top of the fireplace.

Serve in pre-warmed sturdy glasses or pottery cups.

The house fills with a lovely spicey smell so it's nice to welcome cold and weary travellers with a roaring fire and some mulled wine!

Sounds like the beginnings of a description of a 1800's lady of the night service centre :lol:

My favourite is a lamb curry made with mutton or hogget leg chops. The ones with the small round bone in. The rib chops are just too fatty and fiddly imo.

Coat the chops in flour. Brown in a hot fry pan - usually 35 seconds on each side. Then brown lots of onions and whole seeds like cumin, coriander, fennel, fenugreek. Adding them to the frying pan causes the seeds to release flavour and aroma.

Add to a heavy base large saucepan or slow cooker with diced potato and carrot.

Add a bunch of whole smashed cloves of garlic (hit them with your hand on the chopping board), 3 tablespoons of peppercorns, sliced hot chilli to your taste. I add a tablespoon of red curry paste from a jar, and a tablespoon of Tamarind paste.

Cover with boiling water.

If using a saucepan Boil for 5 minutes.

Reduce to 1 1/2 and leave on the stove for 3 hours.

My sister made a pumpkin pie last weekend, first time I've ever tried it and it was awesome!! I didn't even realise it was sweet, I always thought it would be savoury. She served it with whipped cream mixed with maple syrup. Definitely a good way to warm up a winter evening!

:lol: :o :lol:

Well Afrikan it's up to you how you keep your cold and weary guests warm!!

:lol: Oh I certainly am not speaking from experience :o It's just I read historical novels... and your description sounded somewhat familiar :lol:

And David R the mention of pumpkin pie.... yummmmm

And sorry Barrie no can do, the thread stays... :lol: Aren't people supposed to gain a couple of cms around the waist or hips during the winter...? :)

Can't go past Sticky Date Pudding - preferably with a small scoop of Cadbury Vanilla ice cream!

Ingredients

200g dates, pitted and chopped

1 teaspoon baking soda

150ml boiling water

125g butter

125g sugar

2 eggs

125g self-raising flour

Method

1. Put the dates in a bowl with the baking soda. Pour over the boiling water, stir and let stand for 20 minutes.

2. Beat butter and sugar until creamy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating until light and fluffy. Stir in the flour, then the date mixture.

3. Pour into a well-greased flan dish. Bake for 30 minutes at 190°C (test with a skewer to make sure it is done.)

4. While the pudding is cooking, make the sauce (see recipe below).

5. When the pudding is ready, remove from the oven and coat the top lightly with enough sauce to produce a sticky glaze. Return to the oven for 2 minutes.

6. To serve, cut into slices, pour additional sauce over each serving, and accompany with whipped cream or ice cream.

Sauce

200g brown sugar

50g butter

1 cup (250ml) cream

1 teaspoon vanilla essence

Method

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan, bring to the boil, then simmer for 1-2 minutes.

ps: sorry, Barrie......

I recon freshly roasted Pork Belly... HMMMMM YUMMMM.

then followed with the following chocolate cake

Chocolate Cake

Ingredients

2 Cups Water

3 Cups Caster Sugar

250gm Butter (Chopped)

4 Eggs Beaten Lightly

1/3 Cup Cocoa Powder

1 Teaspon Baking Soda

3 Cups Self Raising Flour

Method

1.Combine water, sugar, butter, sifted cocoa and baking soda in a large saucepan and heat until butter is melted.

2.Simmer uncovered for 5 minutes

3.Transfer mixture to large electric mixer bowl and leave to cool to room temperature

4.Add flour and eggs to other ingredients in mixer bowl and beat until mixture changes to a paler colour

5.Bake in moderate oven 180oC for 50 minutes in a 26.5cm x 30cm square tin lined with paper and greased lightly with butter

6.Leave in tin for 10 minutes then turn onto wire rack to cool

My personal favourite for winter warming is a 12 yr old single malt whiskey. A nip of that and you're away! :D

The only down side is that if I leave my glass unattended for even a second, the wife is into it like a rat going up a drain pipe. But if I try and pour her one of her own I get a lecture about how bad it tastes? :roll: