Pull the other one!!!!

Adrienne

As the title says ....

what do you think?

The reason so many fish die soon after they are purchased is because plastic bags, when left floating in the tank as most of us do, release toxins when the water touches both sides of the bag. The toxins kill the fish.

This is the story given to a friend when she went back to her lfs to say her fish had died within 24hrs of purchase.

By the way the shop is not in Auckland.

Comments welcome.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a load of hogs wash :x

I would be going in there and demanding my money and threatening them with Campbell Live :lol: :lol: (jokes) however I would be asking for my money back or at least a replacement :-?

Mind you, only if water parameters are fine and dandy can anyone ask for a replacement or refund, I take it her tank is good? 8)

lol thats a goodie :)

I always have and always will float bags, and have never had any imediate losses, if the bag did leach toxic stuff I would say it would be pretty instant and would also have some affect on other fish, I doubt they would make fish bags from something that leaches chemicals just doesn't make sense to me, sounds like a petshop telling porkies again :)

I think the idea of a bag leaching toxins after such a short space of time is utter bollocks!

If the fish are sold from the store then the bags are new. They are made to be safe for fish.

IMO more likely reasons the fish die soon after purchase are either poorly acclimatized or the fish were sick or overly delicate to start with.

Best one i have, and it is true..

A child with his mum took a dead fish into a sjop here in Chch. The owner, who now has moved on, told the child his fish had drowned :D

He did replace the fish at no charge.

I must say I have always kept plastic bags in to acclimatize fish completely. And what happens when Your posting a fish in plastic bags sometimes it can be for a couple days if postage is really slow, that means you couldnt do that as the plastic bags will leach and all fish being sent will die.

I would tell them to stop talking absolute rubbish!

The owner, who now has moved on, told the child his fish had drowned

:lol: :lol: how could you tell someone that their fish had drowned.

the next thing the mother will see is her child catching all the fish and laying them on top of the tank. :roll:

LOL! Its only been happening for how many years now? You'd think if that was really the case they would have stopped it by now.

I never float my fish, I just tip them into a bucket with a bit of tank water, then use a piece of air hose to slowly trickle tank water into the bucket to gradually acclimatise them. No way am I putting LFS water into one of my tanks!!

I float my bags... but no LFS tank water reaches my tanks I am afraid.... ya can open bag and add water from your tank etc blah blah, but I sure as hell would never tip the darn water and all into my tank :lol: That is asking for trouble :D

I've followed Wet Pets instructions and nothing bad has ever gone wrong *knocks wood*

Put the bag in a bucket, open it up, fill the bag with your own tank water so that there is 1/2 old water 1/2 new water, leave 10 mins, into new home!

This shop person was saying that plastic bags are only toxin free when theres water on the inside and that the moment water contacts both sides they leak toxins - utter cr-p in my opinion or we all would have fish dropping off each time we get them.

However the shop keeper did offer a replacement fish which was politely declined.

I don't think any of us would ever let other tanks water touch ours.

Yeah as far as I know or have been told the bags are purposely toxic free solely for the whole idea of fish in the first place :lol:

I don't think any of us would ever let other tanks water touch ours

It is amazing the amount of people do tho :o or have done.

I never add other water to my tank, I do float the bags though and I have never had a loss straight after purchase.

I just float the bag for a while then add a bit of my tank water and float for longer then I catch the new addition with a net and put it in the tank. Even though I trust my LFS ya just never know what is in the water when they get stuff from so many different places.

I was very surprised to see the woman at the LFS tip water from my tank in to theirs when I returned something though.

I have visited another FS and had the person talk total crap to me though lol the tanks looked like crud too, won't be going back there

I dont float my bags for tropicals and here is why:

a) The temp between the bag and the tank will be almost the same, if anything the tank will be only a couple of degrees warmer. Exception made for long trips.

b) when the bag water warms up ammonia builds up in the bag, not pleasant for the fish, or the occupants whom tank is about to get dumped with dirty water.

c) Fish in bag will be freaking out and causing more stress

The exception being when its a very fragile fish, and pH changes are expected. In which case you're probably better off mixing the water 1/4, then 1/2, then release over a period of 10-15 minutes rather than dump. I have my tanks usually in the low 7s, which is very common, so haven't had this issue.

Ideally you'd use a Q tank or net the fish from the bag and move them without taking the water with you. I don't always take my own advice, but its what I've found to be best from practice and reading.

when the bag water warms up ammonia builds up in the bag, not pleasant for the fish, or the occupants whom tank is about to get dumped with dirty water.

That is a good point IMO. Putting possibly contaminated water from the LFS into your tank is a bad idea.

I like the idea of using a drip line and a bucket.

Put the fish and water from the bag into a bucket next to the tank.

Put a length of airline tubing into the tank and start the syphon into the bucket.

20L bucket takes about an hour to fill up. Slow acclimatization.

Then net the fish and put them into the tank.

Throw old water away.

I have never lost any fish using this method.

I think it shouldn't matter if you tip LFS water in, because any fish should be going into a quarantine tank for several weeks before going into their final tank. You can then make sure that pH and temp are close so that the transter from quarantine can be done by net.

Always quarantine fish, and yes I've learnt this the hard way.