LFS Markup?

David R

Prices differ on livestock, it all depends at what cost the importers have the fish at.. sometimes a species is relatively cheap and other times down the track the same species can be alot dearer, depends on suppliers and availability of the fish at the time...

It is interesting to see at times how much mark up is done on livestock in a shop.... here I have looked around, same fish from same supplier and the prices vary...

It is sad tho when a private or local breeder takes a fish into a store and gets paid say a dollar for a certain species (example) and then you see the fish going for untolds, I have seen this... and thought hmm going for that price they could have least given a little more for the fish.. after all they aren't paying for the freight of them either... :roll: :D

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With the crazy costs being added to importing at the moment you can expect the prices to rise even higher. Go to the sallies if you want charity

Pretty mush so, everything is going up and what goes up never comes down :D , especially airfreight and MAf/customs which charge like a wounded bull on heat for doing nothing.

Many of the airlines offer cheap prices for passengers but the passengers pay for it anyway as freight on commercial items get charged at a rip off rate. And You wonder why we have a inflation problem. The end user pays for it.

OR you could have a mind for the good of dogs everywhere and either (a) buy a temperament tested, desexed and vaccinated mutt from the SPCA/a rescue for $250 OR (b) pay $800-2000 for a purebred with a tested (not just "good") temperament for generations, good hips, good skin, a good heart, no inherited diseases, good conformation and preferably working parents.

No need to waste a ton of money on a backyard bred, potentially-a-genetic-mess dog that's gonna cost you another $400-500 just for basic care.

Sorry, I just think this is important. Back to fish :oops:

MAf/customs which charge like a wounded bull on heat for doing nothing.

I heard MAF are reducing the quarantine time to 3 weeks somewhere? Is this still happening? If so MAF costs should reduce? (I know that's like saying ppl with water meters should have their rates go down right? .. refer to quote "what goes up never goes down" !! too true... speaking of which saw gas was up another 6c tonight yay. mind you it did go down 1c for a couple of hours before that.

Yeah I'm sure all the money is in the filters, live/frozen/dry food, chemicals, tanks... but thank god it is.. otherwise we would never have a LFS to go to. I think the key ingredient to LFS survival is friendly helpful staff. Eg Brookfield pets'n' things here in Tga.. i recall the previous cheery owner saying he'd outlasted 18 other petshops!! the new owners lasted a year or two and shut down recently...they often tried to push-sell and made you feel a bit uneasy.

I heard MAF are reducing the quarantine time to 3 weeks somewhere? Is this still happening? If so MAF costs should reduce?

For fresh water it is proposed to reduce to 3 weeks, but that is what they said 3 years ago. still waiting, maybe not in my life time the way they work.

I doubt cost will drop due to the reduction to 3 weeks as MAf keep coming up with new costs and the hourly rate is set to increase again,

Unless a retailer can obtain good quality fish from you when they want them you will not be in the same class as a wholesaler that can supply them what they want when they want it. If you breed a type of fish once you will not get a good price because you are a bigger risk than a wholesaler that has to carry stock to be able to supply what retailers want. You can sell privately and get more and when the shops find out they will not buy from you. Welcome to the real world. As importing costs go up---and I am sure they will, locally bred fish should become more atractive to the shops but you will need to obtain a reputation to get top dollar. You basically have to provide better fish at a better price when they want them to take the market from their present wholesaler---not easy from your back yard.

some shops are not interested in buying/obtaining from you and if thats the case support those that are as they are the ones that will take your surplus.

I have 2 shops that often phone me for fish and will often phone me for advise on what I breed... I welcome that

OR you could have a mind for the good of dogs everywhere and either (a) buy a temperament tested, desexed and vaccinated mutt from the SPCA/a rescue for $250 OR (b) pay $800-2000 for a purebred with a tested (not just "good") temperament for generations, good hips, good skin, a good heart, no inherited diseases, good conformation and preferably working parents.

No need to waste a ton of money on a backyard bred, potentially-a-genetic-mess dog that's gonna cost you another $400-500 just for basic care.

Sorry, I just think this is important. Back to fish :oops:

The people I know (and myself) have had far better luck with back yard mutt's, pretty much every pure breed owner I know has problems. Sister has had 3 dachshunds (different breeders), all have had spinal problems, neighbour had 2 German shepherds, one was a fantastic dog the other put down after 2 years because it had bad hips. Two friends (mother and daughter) with boxers, physically okay, but both untrustworthy, cat killers, and the dumbest dog's I've ever meet.

I know very little about pure breed dogs, but the impression I get is New Zealand is just too small, and they are just too inbreed. I know you get some very good pure breeds from very good breeders but you also get a lot of very bad pure breeds. JMO

The people I know (and myself) have had far better luck with back yard mutt's, pretty much every pure breed owner I know has problems. Sister has had 3 dachshunds (different breeders), all have had spinal problems, neighbour had 2 German shepherds, one was a fantastic dog the other put down after 2 years because it had bad hips. Two friends (mother and daughter) with boxers, physically okay, but both untrustworthy, cat killers, and the dumbest dog's I've ever meet.

I know very little about pure breed dogs, but the impression I get is New Zealand is just too small, and they are just too inbreed. I know you get some very good pure breeds from very good breeders but you also get a lot of very bad pure breeds. JMO

Yeah, the problems are (a) crap or well meaning but half-arsed breeders outnumber good breeders 10:1 in most breeds, and (b) I agree that we are too small I think (not that we can't import dogs for most breeds).

GSDs have sooo many problems, not just hips but enlarged hearts and crap skin and a couple of others. I think the average hip score for a GSD in NZ is something like 12 or maybe worse? There are Schutzhund working GSDs in Germany with hip scores of 3 and 4. So it is possible! Just not enough people breeding for love over money. There's nothing wrong with a dog that wants to kill cats so long as it's controlled (one of my girls is totally fine with all my cats but would LOVE to eat a strange cat)... Boxers do tend to be a bit gormless but it's part of the charm :lol:

Ill-bred Daschunds really annoy me because there is no reason to let them get to the stage of having crap backs. That happens 100% because of show "fashion". There are still Daschunds out there working, bloodtracking, no health issues to speak of and incredibly long life spans. It makes me angry that any breeder could produce dogs who end up in excruciating pain because it... looks nice :x

The thing with hybrid vigour is it's only true to and extent and with a breeder who health tests (many still don't) you know what you're getting. A mutt can get none of the health issues... or all of them. I've seen and heard of plenty of x-breeds with torn cruciates, luxating patellas, displastic hips, terrible skin allergies, you name it. :(

Having said all that I can't see myself ever getting a purebred because since I only want pets I'd rather have a rescue and just couldn't justify a purebred to myself... as much as I'd love a staffy or a GSD. Moot point, with one middle-aged and two young dogs! :D

ARH Don't dis the boxer they are very smart dogs. If I get to close to the fire mine will stand in-between me and the fire to protect me. He loves cats and will let one sleep on him and its not funny the amount of time the cat comes in with a drool mohawk. The parrots don't like him but if they are out side he brings them a biscuit. He’s about 12 now and the last couple of years has cost us a bit with cancer and joint problems but would get another not a problem.

Hey, they're lovely dogs, but a lot of them aren't the sharpest dogs out there. Doesn't mean they're all thick, and I think a lot of people mistake not wanting to do what you say for stupidity but from what I've seen a lot of them are pretty goofy and dumb :D

LFS mark up can be dependant on availability and demand.

An example of this is angels, small the size of a $2.00 coin sell in the shops here fore about 12 - 15 dollars each, yet while i was in Auckland last week, they were selling for $3.50 each.

Hey, they're lovely dogs, but a lot of them aren't the sharpest dogs out there. Doesn't mean they're all thick, and I think a lot of people mistake not wanting to do what you say for stupidity but from what I've seen a lot of them are pretty goofy and dumb :D

IMO alot of it has to do with the owner regardless of the breed, silly iresponsible owners = silly iresponsible unbalanced dogs!!

There's nothing wrong with a dog that wants to kill cats so long as it's controlled (one of my girls is totally fine with all my cats but would LOVE to eat a strange cat)...

There is never a right situation for a dog to be killing cats. They may have the "chase" instinct but it is up to the responsible owner to keep that controlled.

There is absolutely no reason that cats and dogs cannot live under the same roof. We have 3 border collies and 4 cats and NEVER had an incident. Even the puppies realise and respect the boundaries.

Please check subject of thread all you cat'os and dog'os!

Another thing not mentioned explicitly is that the LFS will, just like us, have a fairly high number of deaths in their tanks from the constant stress state of being introduced to a new tank then having a bunch of people come and look at them. Probably why they look so much better (usually) when you've had them at home for a while. :)