David R

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm definatly in the wrong industry then

We're lucky to get 5% markup on PC parts and notebooks LOL

Wonder why so many pet shops go bust thinking the same thing. It is not like PC parts that you turn over by the thousands.

Marks up/Margins vary depending in what industry you are in. a 5% mark up in the pet industry will give you 2 weeks before you close the doors.

Depends on each individual LFS and what they choose their markup to be

I agree.

Live fish would be higher risk than other animals also?

High risk = high return

Most pet shops wouldn't have high turn over so they would have to have higher mark ups to stay afloat. Turn over would effect mark ups.

Its not a simple number they pull out of their heads.....

before looking at markups, have a look at costs

for me to empoly someone I have

Public liability

ACC

insurances

wages

holliday pay

sick pay

It costs me all up about $35 perhour to employ someone.

Next think of the costs involved with leasing the property

Then the over heads

(even bank ODs are over 16% interest)

now how do they (the LFS) get this money... from the margins on fish.

How many will they sell each month and how much of margin do they need.

With fish, 100% would not even start to cover costs let alone buy a big mac

The impression I've always had was that shops didn't stock live stock to sell, they are only there to draw customers in. The money is in the dry stock. Just have a look at animates stores, every new one has less and less tank space.

I sold some bristle nose plec's to an LFS once and they gave me $1 each, they said they were doing me a favour, and they got them cheaper from the supplier, I haven't brought any in a few years but I seem to remember they were round $10 retail at the time.

I was in an LFS a few months ago and the supplier must have put the fish into the display tanks himself then stuck the invoice on the tank, so I had a wee look :oops: , (hay it was open for all to see!) just the usual types you would expect at mall pet shop, all of them were under $2, most under $1.

not fish but an example a m8 of mine sold there rottie puppies to a local petsop @ $300 each and the shop sells em at $900 a pop, dunno if tht the norm or wot but thats the way it is!

Thats why you buy dogs from Local NZKC reps!

Most shops I have sold to mark up 150 -- 200% and I don't have a problem with that. If I did I wouldn't sell them. The importer is probably marking up the same % if they are still in business. With the crazy costs being added to importing at the moment you can expect the prices to rise even higher. Go to the sallies if you want charity.