HRV

Zabman

Hi All,

Has anybody had an HRV system (or similar) installed?

I have quite a damp home and the windows have a considerable amount of condensation on them in the mornings and throughout the day if not opened - I am guessing having a large open top aquarium in the living room certainly won't help matters!!!!

Sooo.... I am looking at getting an HRV system. I have read plenty of reviews that say this is the way to go, but alot have also mentioned something called intellivent, but I cant find any company information/contacts for these guys.

I would like to know:

A) What system you have and what you think of it

B) Any ideas on the cost of the unit+installation for a 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom & Living room house.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiya

We have an HRV in... excellent, would never not have one after having one now....

The house is so much dryer... walls dry in wet and cold weather.... window sills dry even through wet and cold weather... oh the place is just so different, air crisp... warmer.... Cuts the humidity back hugely in a home, so mould doesn't have a chance of surviving and also it is meant to make dust mites non existant.

It cost $3500 for our system, paying if off weekly (yet if you pay it weekly, of course ya pay more all up)... well worth the weekly payment tho... We have a 3 bedroom home, not a huge house. We got the heating option built in too... however we haven't used it, it is there incase we really want to give the house a blast of quick heat.

I don't get why HRV systems cost so much. Seems all they are is a fan(Probably the most expensive bit), a bunch of ducting(Cheap), a couple vents(Cheap) and a thermostat(Not particularly expensive).

Some I've seen have some pretty good thermostats, but other than that from what I've seen they seem to be identical to a $500 heat transfer kit, except you're paying an extra $2500 to not have the duct going from the room your fire is in to the fan intank. All you're doing is pumping attic air into the house.

I have a DVS system which is similar.

The pros: No condensation.

great for airing the house without the security problems of open windows.

The cons:Drafts(cold draughts brrrrrrrrrh)

During the summer time if left on the house is like a prssure cooker and stinks of pink batts.

Overall they are great to remove condensation, but in my opinion, thats all.

By the way, mine does not have the inbuilt heater.

HTH

I would worry that a dehumidifier(don't know if there is one in HRV) would "suck" the water out of the tank. Does it have to be an open top tank?

HRV and DVS systems do not have any form of dehumidifier in them.

Basically they are a fan system with ducting controlled by thermometres and digital keypads.

All they do is create positive air pressure which pushes colder damp air out. They dont really work with alloy joinery as unlike wooden window frames are usually airtight. they must have somewhere where the damp cold air can escape and this creates drafts.

just put your hand on aloy joinery and feel the cold... watch the damp on them

Aloy joinery was indroduced as a cheap alternative to timber and its often half price. It does not last as long and if damaged or alterations are done, they often can-not be matched

I am so glad of this thread cos we are going through the same decision. Any thoughts about choosing HRV vs. DVS vs. Moisture Master? I don't like the sound of 'cold drafts' that supasi mentioned. Do you get that with HRV? Our house is a small (95sqm) 3 bedroom house, and we have a flued gas heater in the living room but the bedrooms, especially the one which doesn't get sun, are FREEZING. Stuff on the wardrobe floor gets mouldy, ceilings get mildew spots. Do we need HRV and a heat pump??

Sorry to hijack just desperate for some help in this area!

Hi TinyTawny :)

Had the HRV rep over last night, and have spoken to the heatpump people today. It sounds odd, but Mitsubishi seemed to recommend getting an HRV system as opposed to one of there heatpumps and offered to send someone round, so I guess they have an "HRV" equivalent as well.

Your house sounds almost identical to mine, the floor area and number of bedrooms is exactly the same, and I also have that awful black mould that you need to keep wiping off.

I asked the rep (was the NZ sales manager) about heating, and he said that generally speaking, HRV do not market heaters north of Hamilton, as the heating is not often needed. You can add a heating unit to the HRV system post-installation so I will see how it goes without one (provided this is the choice we make).

My main concern is getting the humidity and condensation down, and its almost a given that this will accomplish that, in my eyes, any additional heat/comfort I get will be a bonus.

Will let you all know how I get on.

Oh - Tiny, the reps offer a "buy now" price, so it would pay to have your mind 90% made up before they come around (Wish I had known that before I saw him!!!)

We have a heat transfer kit : Thermostat, ducting, fan, coverplates. Installed ourselves, cost $100 for 1 room transfer + sparky to wire in thermostat. Have since added a T piece and gone into daughters new room. We have the intake part above the wood burner and the other outlet in the hall, by the doors of the bed rooms. A much cheaper way to heat the house at night and have noticed less condensation on the windows. We had never considered a DVS or similar due to the cost. Now the in-laws have done their house too and rave on how much warmer it is.

They dont really work with alloy joinery as unlike wooden window frames are usually airtight. they must have somewhere where the damp cold air can escape and this creates drafts.

Our house is alluminium joinery, I take it that is alloy joinery? :lol: not up on the play with these sorts of things :roll: Our house isn't old, only around 21 years old... our HRV works wonders, and draft free, so works fine and dandy in our house..

We've had a DVS for years and I wouldn't be without it. The windows used to be covered in condensation and the water used to run off the sills.

We don't notice a draught problem at all and if the ceiling temp gets too cold the fan shuts down. We do have a heater in ours but it is expensive to run. Sometimes I turn it on for an hour or two in the evening and it takes the chill off the house nicely - although we still need another heater to warm the place properly.

I don't know the pros and cons of DVS vs HRV because HRV wasn't around when we installed this. One or the other of them would be the first thing I installed in a new house.

We have a heat transfer kit : Thermostat, ducting, fan, coverplates. Installed ourselves, cost $100 for 1 room transfer + sparky to wire in thermostat. Have since added a T piece and gone into daughters new room. We have the intake part above the wood burner and the other outlet in the hall, by the doors of the bed rooms. A much cheaper way to heat the house at night and have noticed less condensation on the windows. We had never considered a DVS or similar due to the cost. Now the in-laws have done their house too and rave on how much warmer it is.

I haven't noticed any condensation(Except for the bathroom) this winter so far, I think because I got rid of the marine tank and we bought a proper fire. My Cent-a-meter has a humidity display on it, just lighting the fire drops the humidity from 60%ish to 30%ish.:)

You can get a fire, installed, for similar to that $3000 HRV system...

I haven't noticed any condensation(Except for the bathroom) this winter so far, I think because I got rid of the marine tank and we bought a proper fire. My Cent-a-meter has a humidity display on it, just lighting the fire drops the humidity from 60%ish to 30%ish.:)

What kind of fire is it? A real open fireplace? Or a woodburner? Or a gas fire?

You can get a fire, installed, for similar to that $3000 HRV system...