Decisions decisions....

David R

I've decided to bite the bullet and set up my 630L 5' tank, problem is that I can't decide what to put in it!! I'm trying to reduce the number of tanks I have, eventually down to just one tank, which of course means making some sacrifices...

Option A: Mixed cichlid community. I'd sell my dats and big ornate then put my 3 uaru, 1 redhead sev, 5 heckelii, 5 balzani and 3 male sajicas in there, along with my clown loaches (and probably a heap of smaller loaches!). Decorated with large pieces of wood, rocks, and probably grey or white sand.

Pro's: Cichlids are cool, colourful, lots of activity. More clown loaches!!

Con's: Selling the big ornate. :cry::cry::cry:

Option B: A somewhat more minimalist look, sell most of the cichlids and keep my big ornate, the largest loaches (I have about 6 that are too big to be close-to snack size for the ornate, who I'm expecting will have a growth spurt once in the bigger tank), 3 uaru and probably the bigger heckelii's. I may even reduce the number of cichlids and look at splashing out on an asian aro if some more get imported and I'm feeling rich...

Pro's: Keep the big ornate! Maybe an aro.

Con's: Less clown loaches. Have to get rid of the smaller cichlids.

MTS is harder to quit than smoking!!

I've decided to bite the bullet and set up my 630L 5' tank, problem is that I can't decide what to put in it!! I'm trying to reduce the number of tanks I have, eventually down to just one tank, which of course means making some sacrifices...

Option A: Mixed cichlid community. I'd sell my dats and big ornate then put my 3 uaru, 1 redhead sev, 5 heckelii, 5 balzani and 3 male sajicas in there, along with my clown loaches (and probably a heap of smaller loaches!). Decorated with large pieces of wood, rocks, and probably grey or white sand.

Pro's: Cichlids are cool, colourful, lots of activity. More clown loaches!!

Con's: Selling the big ornate. :cry::cry::cry:

Option B: A somewhat more minimalist look, sell most of the cichlids and keep my big ornate, the largest loaches (I have about 6 that are too big to be close-to snack size for the ornate, who I'm expecting will have a growth spurt once in the bigger tank), 3 uaru and probably the bigger heckelii's. I may even reduce the number of cichlids and look at splashing out on an asian aro if some more get imported and I'm feeling rich...

Pro's: Keep the big ornate! Maybe an aro.

Con's: Less clown loaches. Have to get rid of the smaller cichlids.

MTS is harder to quit than smoking!!

B

Option A and B... get another tank :lol: :lol:

:lol: I could keep most of the cichlids in my 4' and carry out option B in the 5', but that wouldn't have the desired effect on the power bill or water rates!

I suggest you go for a serious planted tank....

Option C????

Planted tanks have never really excited me that much, with maybe the exception of an Amano-style carpet of something with a few rocks poking up and a huge school of cardinals, which in this case would be a waste because the tank is going in the garage. Plus with the power the lights would use I could probably keep the 4' and not have to make the decision I'm trying to make now!!

:lol: I could keep most of the cichlids in my 4' and carry out option B in the 5', but that wouldn't have the desired effect on the power bill or water rates!

:lol: Ok then... hmmm option B then :D Even tho both options are appealing 8)

I vote B. I don't see why you can't put most of those cichlids in with the ornate.

I can, the uarus, severum and larger heckeliis will be fine, but the balzanis and sajicas are too small. I guess in that respect option B is the best bet.

How big are your balzani and sajicas? I can't find much info on the balzanis, but I'd have thought the sajicas should grow to be more than big enough and the few pics of balzanis I've found they look to be a pretty good size fish.

Or are they just too small now?

How big are your balzani and sajicas? I can't find much info on the balzanis, but I'd have thought the sajicas should grow to be more than big enough and the few pics of balzanis I've found they look to be a pretty good size fish.

Or are they just too small now?

Both will probably get big enough to love with the ornate, but right now they're snack size. The ornate is around 14" and I'm guessing putting him in a bigger tank will probably result in a growth spurt. The sajicas are still only about 2-3cm and the balzanis are around 5cm.