Are Fish Classed as "Pets"

cichlid7

come under fish tank with fish?

Doesnt matter what you and me think they are it more depends on the landlord/s, id say theyre pets IF the landlord thinks so, so imo it wouldnt hurt to ask if its ok to have a fishtank, but may do if you dont in the future if in the unlikely event of damage to carpets etc

most landlords dont mind a fish tank nor understand mts so best to let them know b4 mts really kicks in lol

I have a no pets policy as well but its more to set things straight from the start. Its mainly so there are no dogs as to be honset they stink as much as smokers when they leave the flat.

Just be honest with the Landlord and ask, that way your being straight up from the start

He'd probably be better off asking his landlord than a bunch of fish-geeks. :wink:

I always phone up the 'no pets' ones anyway and explain that we have an old house-trained cat and a fish tank [that makes no mess] and I usually get a response like "yeah thats fine, we just don't want people with 7 cats 3 dogs and 10 budgies" or "it says no pets but as long as its not a dog its alright".

Just ask.

Motels have a no pets policy but we often have Bud with us (as Nelson conference goers can attest) and have never had a complaint as they think he stays safe in his cage :wink:

As long as you do not let your fish out you should be fine :lol:

I always make sure I tell any prospective landlord that I have pet fish. It's quite good how the plural of "fish" is still "fish" - I think most of them assume I have a single goldfish in a small bowl!

I also tell them I ride a "scooter." That is my code word for a motorbike. Well... two wheels and an engine... what's the difference really?

I did have one landlord specifically amend the lease agreement from "no pets" to "one small fish tank allowed." I think he may have been familiar with MTS :-?

thing is that landlords make their money from getting people to pay a fair price and look after the property. They simply want good no problem long term tenants.

As soon as they find that they have been lied to or people have "hidden" the facts, it puts doupts into the trust that is needed to have a long term relationship.

we have permission 4 two cats didnt bother asking about the 5 fishtanks or the two rabbits they havent said anething yet tho. when our landlord decided to try sell the house the people who looked thru the house were more intersted in the tanks then the house!

well, this is how i would put it.

Reason why dogs and cats are not allowed is cos they spray poo and pee everywhere at times.

unless you fish gets out of the tank and lays a massive one on the carpet or sprays pee... then i dont see a problem with it.

sorry but your thinking of the problem in its most basic form.

Far more important is the smell from cats and dogs and the damage thats under the carpet. The fleas that can hatch a few years after the cat and dog have left.

The water spills that not only rot the carpet but make a chipboard floor turn to weatbix after the tenant has left. The dampness that means repainting far sooner than would normally be needed and the mould that starts.

You would be shocked at some of the places I see where good tenants leave... not the bad ones

Just be honest with the landlord and you will probably get a good suprise.

remember that he is letting you live in an asset that he probably owes a lot of money on that may well be worth 200 ot 400 thousand.

Say its $200,000 if he was to sell it and put the money in the bank, he would get $17000 per year in interest. Thats $325 per week so surely the owner deserves a bit of honesty?

So do children. They're far more damaging than your average cat or dog, but you're allowed to have them.

Not only are you allowed to have them, landlords are NOT allowed to refuse a tenant based on them having children!

Age discrimination. :roll:

If I had a property rented out there would be no way in hell I would rent it to a family with kids.

I always make sure I tell any prospective landlord that I have pet fish. It's quite good how the plural of "fish" is still "fish" - I think most of them assume I have a single goldfish in a small bowl!

I also tell them I ride a "scooter." That is my code word for a motorbike. Well... two wheels and an engine... what's the difference really? ...

thing is that landlords make their money from getting people to pay a fair price and look after the property. They simply want good no problem long term tenants.

As soon as they find that they have been lied to or people have "hidden" the facts, it puts doupts into the trust that is needed to have a long term relationship.

Barrie, I hope you don't think I'm advocating being dishonest with a landlord about pets. When I'm filling in a tenancy application and the form says "List any pets you have" and I put "Fish" I am being very honest. I was just pointing out that they probably read that as "a fish" rather than "some fish." It's not my intention to deceive them, and if they asked me for more details I would happily supply them.

As for the scooter/motorbike thing, I'm simply avoiding the automatic bias some people have against motorbike riders. I would rather they met me and judged me for who I am rather than assume that I am a dirty/noisy/hairy motorbike rider. My bike is only 250cc and the main reason I got a bike instead of a scooter is because the larger wheel diameter of a bike makes it safer on rough surfaces (e.g. roadworks).

So really I'm just a scooter rider who became more safety-conscious! :D

No Whetu

Your being honest.

Most people think they need to hide things and your not so no problem

I know there are a lot of Landlords out there that are not so good but the majority are good as its there investment. For every bad landlord there are probably 10 bad tenants.