PALMERSTON NORTH: Tank crawl (Kapi-Mana club visiting)

Stella

i would like to say sorry to everyone...

as stella knows i wont be here that weekend so i cannot participate.... i might have setup my new tropical tank (in planning at the mo) by then too. damb it

so good luck with the crawl stella i really hope alot of the people with smaller tanks pitch in coz the are sometime the better ones.

You always think your tank is not right or not good enough... but truth is that not many other people think that coz your a perfectionist (i will put my hand up for that one) :oops: :D

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:o but my work isnt finished :o .............(it never will be)

I think you would be hard pressed to find a fishkeeper who would consider their tank to be 'finished'!

There is always something that you think could be done to make it just that little bit better, or something that you have done that you don't like anymore, or you see some fish that you just have to get, that changes the whole dynamic of your tank, or makes you head off in a totally different direction, strip down your tank and start again....

It never ends!

I agree absolutely! :bounce: My tanks are never finished - they just have "better-looking phases" :lol:

I'm so looking forward to this trip.

For me, seeing other people's tanks is always enjoyable. If the tanks are at a set-up stage - they just prompt a different set of conversations. I know from experience that having people round when you are putting something together can help get better ideas and suggestions that don't always come when the tank is "finished". :roll:

• 2 weeks later...

Of course, Deno! The more the merrier :)

Firefish, it was lovely to meet you too :) Thanks for the plug. The mudfish were out and really active last night, such cool fish, shame they were all hidden when you were here. And I think the kokopu have grown another 3cm in girth :roll: :o

Any more local people wanting to come?

I will come up with an itinerary next week. Due to lack of people to press-gang into showing their tanks there won't be many, but I am sure the trip will be worth it! :bounce:

Slowly getting the plan in place.

Apparently Peter from Wet Pets has a guy lined up with a really good marine tank and is going to accost a few others and see if they are interested in showing their tanks.

Apparently the Hawke’s Bay club is leaving at 8am. Allowing for travelling time, disorganised people, breaks, refuelling etc I propose meeting at my place at 12pm – how does that sound?

I would like a person from each club as a main contact person for each contingent, I am presuming Foxglove from Kapi-Mana and Warren from Hawke’s Bay are organising their people? Let me know if someone else is more appropriate.

So far, people showing their aquariums from here are:

ryanjury, olly, bilbo, shadowfax.

Olly is the only one (apart from me) that lives in Palmy, the others are in Bulls or on the way thereto.

I am sending PMs to these people shortly gathering details, so if you would like to show your tank and somehow I missed you please let me know! :)

Hey Stella I thought I posted on the first page lol

I will be out of the country and my fishroom is all but empty at the moment have all the fish inside in divided holding tanks so nothing to see here sorry :(

Sounds like it will be a good day though, im sure PEte can rouse up some people :)

Does this mean we start the crawl at twelve?

I would be concerned that we would run out of time to be traveling back before it gets too late.

We recently had a tank crawl that took in four peoples tanks that started at 10am, and didn't finish until after three in the afternoon, this included a stop for lunch and a considerable amount of driving around the Hawkes Bay.

We didn't have that many people traveling around with us either, if you end up with quite a crowd turning up all at once, it will take longer for everyone to have a good look at your tanks, have a chat and pick your brains!

Oh hell, not off to a good start :oops: sorry Ryan.

Also Shadowfax now has something else on that day. So that leaves Olly, BIlbo (who is about 20 minutes out of town, which made sense when the others were invovled) and the marine tank guy that Peter from Wet Pets has spoken to.

Ok, seriously, how much interest is there in a general tank crawl, how much is just in visiting me (and Wet Pets)? Would anyone pull out if there is not much of a tank crawl? Or would you prefer no tank crawl? Please be honest, I won't sulk ;)

How long does it take to get from the Hawke's Bay to here? I thought it was three hours... maybe that is from there to Wanganui. What time makes more sense to you?

It takes about two hours to get to Palmy, depending on who's driving!

If the tank crawl happens, it's a bonus, we won't be upset if there are only a couple of people's tanks to see.

We can always go to Wetpets first, then move on to the tanks.

Ok. Sounds a bit like it might be better when everyone is around.

To be honest that weekend is my birthday and wedding aniversary and my wife had plans to go away. I changed it for the tank crawl (How to get into the dog box fast!)

I can be home for people to come and see my tanks but I would rather be elsewhere.

Let me know whats happening please.

Ok. Sounds a bit like it might be better when everyone is around.

To be honest that weekend is my birthday and wedding aniversary and my wife had plans to go away. I changed it for the tank crawl (How to get into the dog box fast!)

I can be home for people to come and see my tanks but I would rather be elsewhere.

Let me know whats happening please.

Family first, Bilbo - always!

Three peoples tanks and Wetpets will keep us occupied for the day.

Hi all,

thanks to those who are willing to open their homes/fishrooms for us! :hail::hail:

There may not be a huge contingent from Welly coming up, but there are some who are super-keen! :lol: :bounce: :bounce: And it isn't the quantity of tanks that's important.

Bilbo, I know that if they can come, there are people from Welly that want to visit you anyhow - friends from KMAC. Not sure who is available as yet, due to other commitments they are trying to juggle. I agree though that family comes first and you must plan something special for your anniversary! :lol:

So far, we'd planned to get to Palmy about midday. I am happy to coordinate /be contact for Welly people.

Cheers, Hellen

• 2 weeks later...

I have changed my plans and will be home.

I dont know if anyone wants to see my tanks and I dont know if anyone is still coming to Palmy or not.

I havent heard a thing about this apart from what I have read but I will be home anyway.

Hey Bilbo,

Some of us are still super keen, and i am definately coming, with 4 others in my car so far. Maybe PM Stella and see what she can tell you.

I have my car cleaned and almost ready to go, the poly boxes are in already, just need to make some cookies to eat along the way....... :bounce:

Yep, I plan to overdose my car windows with RainEx before we leave, just in case the weather decides to take the trip with us!

Nearly all ready to go, but never tried making gingernuts before, I go more for the plain base then make it your own, like Rocky Road!

No promises though.....

Slowly getting the plan in place.

Apparently Peter from Wet Pets has a guy lined up with a really good marine tank and is going to accost a few others and see if they are interested in showing their tanks.

Apparently the Hawke’s Bay club is leaving at 8am. Allowing for travelling time, disorganised people, breaks, refuelling etc I propose meeting at my place at 12pm – how does that sound?

I would like a person from each club as a main contact person for each contingent, I am presuming Foxglove from Kapi-Mana and Warren from Hawke’s Bay are organising their people? Let me know if someone else is more appropriate.

So far, people showing their aquariums from here are:

ryanjury, olly, bilbo, shadowfax.

Olly is the only one (apart from me) that lives in Palmy, the others are in Bulls or on the way thereto.

I am sending PMs to these people shortly gathering details, so if you would like to show your tank and somehow I missed you please let me know! :)

Hi Stella,

We were targeting around 1pm to be at your place to allow time for lunch first. There should be 9 people minimum as long as nobody who said they'd go pulls out. How does this work with the Kapi-Mana people?

I'm allowing about 2 hours for the trip, leaving at 9:00am, about 11:00am at Wet Pets, lunch and then your place at 1:00pm. This will allow leisurely drivers the chance to leave earlier or arrive later and spend less time at Wet Pets or have a shorter lunch. As long as we target 1:00pm at your place it doesn't matter when people leave.

Let us know if 1:00pm is no-good...

I had a group of nine from Forest and Bird the other weekend. It was a workable number but many more and it would have got particularly squashy. They were here for about 1hr 20mins, got the full guided tour and asked many interesting questions.

I was originally thinking to have both groups here at once, so I am not repeating myself and so everyone gets to hear everything (and mingle with the other clubs), but maybe it would work better to do it semi-seperately? If HB is aiming to come to my place around 1pm would KM like to come earlier?

Of course anyone exceedingly interested in the natives are welcome to stay as long as they like if the others want to go off and see something non-native ;-)

I will leave it up to both parties to decide if they wish to visit Bilbo. He is 20 minutes out of town and this may or may not fit into their plans and timing. I hear he has some pretty interesting stuff though :)

I contacted the marine guy but haven't heard back from him yet, hopefully I will and there will be a trip to his place.

Sorry it has got a bit chatic... Rather hard not having a club here so I can bully people into doing things ;)

Just had Mike Joy (*major* freshwater ecologist and native fish scientist) looking at my tanks tonight, he said they are the best he has seen ;) Still bouncing from that! :bounce:

ust had Mike Joy (*major* freshwater ecologist and native fish scientist) looking at my tanks tonight, he said they are the best he has seen Still bouncing from that!

Fantastic! :hail::hail::bow: That's great.

We (the KMAC car!) have loosely said we'll get there around midday. Haven't thought about lunch or when we'll do things like Wet Pets (Gee those Hawkes Bay types are so organised! :roll: :lol: ) Happy to mix it up with others but give everyone time to see tanks.

Hubby and I will have to give it a miss this weekend unfortunately, we would really have loved to come and were coming up until recent... Thursday last week our young boy came down with Scarlet Fever, and even tho he is on the mend and feeling much better, he is very tired and we would rather not travel this weekend with him...

I hope all you guys have a ball 8)

If we can't all fit in your 'fishroom' we will just have to sit in your lounge and eat all your biscuits - just kidding!

We are going to see Bilbo, I have a fish to pick up and some plants to drop off.

OK then.... how about this order of ceremonies:

Both clubs make their way to Palmy, visit WetPets, find sustenance and aim to be at my place at 1pm, thence to Bilbo's.

I haven't heard back from the marine guy yet....