PALMERSTON NORTH: Tank crawl (Kapi-Mana club visiting)

Stella

Hi Palmy People!

The Kapi-Mana club are coming up to visit us for a tank crawl on Saturday 26th July!

So far the crawl consists of my Native Fish tanks.... help me out here ;)

For those who have never done a tank crawl before... basically everyone goes around as a group looking at everyone's tanks. It is really interesting getting to see how other people do it as well as getting to show off all your hard work and maybe get some new ideas along the way.

So maybe you don't have the perfect 6-foot tank with show-quality fish and not a leaf out of place? Not to worry, that is not the point of a tank crawl. Anyway, you have a month to get your tank, however humble, all cleaned up and ready to share :)

Please register your interest in this thread so everyone knows, and also PM me with your address and some generic details about the type of tank/s you have so I can write up a quick route guide.

Stella

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We'll mention it at the HBAS meeting next week to see if we can't organise a trip over too. We may be able to car-pool a bit and get a few keen members. There's growing interest in Natives here so it's likely to be worth it just to see your tanks alone!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: YAY!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I'm kinda excited, if you couldn't tell!

Can't wait to meet everyone and share experience, knowledge, and tanks! YAY! And go Palmy for hosting us!

cheers, Anita :D

Hehehe nice to see some enthusiasm! ;)

114 hits and no one has volunteered their tank yet! Unfortunately I don't know anyone to 'volunteer' forcibly... I am poking one contact who may be useful. Anyway, there is still plenty of time.

Of course random others are welcome along too! (there have been a few Wanganui people talking to me about natives)

Cool. It will be nice to see everyone. Hope my fish-room is up to standard by then.

I live in Bulls which is a bit of a hike from Palmy so let me know if people want to come over this far.

I would very much like, at some stage, to invade Kapi-mana club one night with a car load from up this way.

I'm glad there are some people out there willing to share! :D

I'm really looking forward to it as it's my very first tank crawl!!!

Perhaps we can organize for you guys to come down here towards the end of the year - my tanks aren't much, but I'd be more then willing to have people come around, have a look over a cup of coffee and offer any advice. :bounce:

Hi Mystic,

As there is no palmy club the number of tanks will depend entirely on those on the forum volunteering....

As for my tanks I have....

4 foot tank with a 'forest stream' theme containing all 3 kokopu species (giant, banded and shortjaw)

4 foot tank based on the fast flowing rocky riffles (with 7000lph flow!) with torrentfish, bullies (redfin, upland, cran's, common, bluegill) and a couple of ancient inanga.

3 foot wetland tank with two fat brown mudfish.

Also by then I may have some dwarf galaxias by then (found some yesterday, totally unexpected! Just need to organise a quarantine tank and make another trip back.)

lol not something you really want to breed and pass around :)

Unfortunately I haven't met many with heaps of tanks around here, myself and Win are the only ones ive met with fishrooms filled with tanks, I am sure there are closet fisho's around here somewhere just haven't found them yet :)

I have had crabs for six months. And I *still* find it entertaining!

No need for tank crawl hosts to have fishrooms, just one tank is fine. Always interesting things to see and learn :-)

Bilbo, what sort of fish do you have? Thanks heaps for volunteering : :bounce:

lol yeah I wasn't implying there was no reason to go and visit if there was only one tank at someones house just alot of these welly people have large fishrooms and lots of tanks and when they ask how many tanks etc I was thinking that might be what they were meaning

Hopefully he wont mind me posting this but Bilbo keeps all sorts but mainly dwarf cichlids :)

If there is only a few tanks (like yurs Stella and Bilbos) is KMAC still doing a full trip up there?

There is actually a fair bit of interest just in my tanks, seem to be a few people down that way keen to try native fish, so at least a good chunk of those people would still come if it was only me showing tanks!

I also have asked a guy I know who works at Wet Pets to get hold of some of the people he knows who could be interested in showing their tanks, which will probably turn up something interesting! There will probably also be a visit to Wet Pets included.

Hey Stella,

do you guys have a really big cool pet shop up there?

Just wondered whether it's worth having a browse around there too. Might even have to kick someone out of my car if you think I may need room to bring fish back...... :lol:

Hey Stella,

do you guys have a really big cool pet shop up there?

Just wondered whether it's worth having a browse around there too. Might even have to kick someone out of my car if you think I may need room to bring fish back...... :lol:

It's called WetPets, very nasty shop... way too many nice things to fill your car up with and empty out your wallet!

My famous mudfish....? You mean the remaining two as I accidentally killed three.... and they technically belong to Massey University? (I still feel bad about that.....)

Well technically I have three, just one is in a jar and lying very still...

That aside, it is doing my ego wonders that people want to come and see what I am doing ;)

Yes there is a good pet shop here, Wet Pets, not as spectacular as some, but pretty impressive I think. Pete from Wet Pets is coming along as well, which should be really interesting, he can be quite a font of knowledge.

If only i was a bit closer, you could have come seen my setups.

Unfortunately the dates wouldnt work either as i will have just arrived home from Auckland with my new 4 foot tank for my Geos.

Damnit, that means i wont be tagging along to see Stellas tanks :cry:

Stella's tanks sound quite famous

Now there is an interesting thought.....!

The truth is virtually no one here has seen them! I could name about five people on the forum that have actually seen them (two of which are close friends and have had significant input into the tanks). None of these people have publicly raved about them on the forum.

So it seems this 'fame' has stemmed entirely from me rabbiting on and on for the past few years about keeping these bloody native fish! :o :oops: :roll: ;)

There does seem to be a growing interest in native fish here. My friends are inclined to lay the blame entirely at my feet, but I can see that others have been doing it earlier, or are joining the forum and immediately asking about native critters. Whatever is driving this, it is very cool to see. On one hand it adds a new element to fishkeeping, on the other more important level, these fish have been out of sight out of mind for too long and the more people are aware of them, the more people will understand and be concerned about what is happening to their habitats.

Anyway, I am very proud of how my tanks are looking, and am really excited about getting to show them to you guys :)

Olly, your tanks will compare in the sense of being totally different ;) and I very much look forward to seeing them :)

It seems everyone is worried about their tanks not being 'good enough', personally I just want to see other people's tanks! They don't have to be 'perfect', just.... someone else's! It is always a great chance to learn no matter what is on display.

Supasi, shame you can't come along, but the offer still stands for you to come over any time and visit! :)

I'm with Stella,

it's not about how 'good' your tank is or how it stacks up to others, it's all about having a look at what other people are doing, sharing ideas, seeing what worked for some and not for others, sharing knowledge, and just getting to know all the other fish geeks in the world over a good cup of coffee! The forum is about using the wealth of knowledge that others have to build on your own, and tank crawls are a great way to do that - actually seeing the tanks is just an added bonus!

Stella is famous because not many people know of anyone else who keeps natives, apart from her!

Personally, I can't wait to see any of the tanks that are up on offer, regardless of how 'good' you think it may or may not be!

Be proud of your work!!!! :D

It's quite hard to convince people to show their tanks in a tank crawl, sometimes you (or the club President) have to literally twist some arms to get some participation.

Everyone has different things that interest and inspire us when looking around at the tanks, and it is a good chance to get some social interaction away from a club meeting.

And it is good motivation to clean your tank and glass, instead of looking at it and thinking, I'll do that later!