F & P

shadowfax

Why not. It is a fact of todays commercial world. You want high wages but expect to pay low prices for the same product. How many of our household products are still made in New Zealand. Do we have anybody making TV, computor, electric jugs etc ,etc,

I'd buy f & P cause their service has been good to me.

fridge was out of warranty for a couple years and they paid for a new compressor.. couldn't fault them.

Anywho, dishdrawers are crap... haven't seen any good reports about them from service people.

think their standard dishwashers are ok.

Our dishdrawer is brilliant Wok. Yes Caryl shareholders do need a profit, but of late it would seem that a lot of companies have been telling porkies about their profits in order to boost share prices and I think it is now coming home to roost and as usual it is poor honest "Joe" who is paying the price. minchton 10 years ago I was paying 25c a ltr. for diesel 10 years later I am now paying as of tomorrow $1 50c that is an increase of 600% that is a huge increase for a courier driver to swallow without any increase in wages (even if the courier company has had several increases). Also my road users have increased substantially, insurance almost doubled,acc almost doubled, accountancy fees more than doubled. Then their are the home bills. ( we won't go there ). In short the standard of living has dropped dramatically over the last few years and in my opinion it is going to get worse before it gets better. :cry:

Hey Jim R. I know how you feel, we are Rural Mail contractors so have the same exhorbitant costs as you.

I sometimes feel that we are brainwashed by the media with regards to company profits. Recently someone in Taranaki won lotto, 19 million. If they were to invest it in the banks they would be looking at 1.6million interest per year. Because they are private individuals we think how lucky they are.

If as a share holder in a company like F & P I had 600 million invested I would expect a return of at least 48 million equal to the current bank rate. So although these profits sometimes seam excessive they are not always so if you consider the financial investment.

Maybe if the government was to reduce its tax take on things like fuel, food costs etc, these big companies could still make a reasonable profit and remain competitive.

Minchton & Jim R.... I think the best way to save on fuel and maintanence is to GET ON YOUR BIKE!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

You will also get the benefit of daily exercise.. who knows... in a couple years you might get into the common weath games cycling team :lol: :lol:

I would of thought F & P would of been better off staying in New Zealand and building a reliability reputation.

simple put China has a reputation of making low quality products low reliability, Germany has a reputation of making high quality high reliability products. And I am pretty sure there are not low wages in germany.

If you want to make something in New Zealand you HAVE to make the best product and charge a higer prices, NZ manufacturers need to forget about compete with low quality producers(China) and start competing with high quality producers(Germany),

Helen has done so well at making this country competitive and really dealing with the important issues like increasing export and not worrying about people taking more holidays etc. Feed the horse and drive the cart, buy a new cart and not feed the horse, blame the feed company for not giving you the feed. This government has continued to focus on social issues while not dealing with the economy, we all know that people with jobs and more money in their pocket live a better and happier life, this government has continued to tax us and company's to the point where we can't afford to buy anything but the cheapest and cant compete with manufacturing off shore but don't worry they can spend 20% more on health but only 6% of this is spent on providing health care, real value that! Yah right, about time Helen got out of the passage sit and we put someone in the drives set that knows how to make a profit for this business/country. Who is more important in a big company, the HR person or the director? The director as with out a good one there would be no HR spending the profit. Feel sorry for the workers but at the end of the day they would’ve vote this government in. The company I work for looks to lose about 50% of its work force next month so I could also be down the road but ha I only work for a sawmill and we have been hit with raising log cost due to this government extras taxes. Where now starting to pay for this governments policies over the last few years.

... But BK, isn't economy a subset of society, which itself is a subset of the environment.

Whatever you think about the Labour government, they have put more $$ into conservation (the environment) than any past government. Thus, if they are benefiting the environment and the economy is ultimately a subset of the environment, then surely their policies are benefiting the economy. People complain so much about this and that and worry about getting rich etc, but they fail to see the ecosystem services going on around us. The ecosystem goods and services provided by nature are over 2x the global GDP per annum....

I would of thought F & P would of been better off staying in New Zealand and building a reliability reputation.

You'd think so, but as Pipa said on Breakfast this morning for the last 15 years NZers have been shopping with their wallet and going for the lowest over-all price rather than going for the locally made or the best service etc. Its pretty hard to be pissed off at F&P for packing up and moving overseas when the last time you bought a major appliance you waited until there was a sale, went around every major retailer getting them to beat each others quotes and bought the lowest-priced item with no thought for where it came from and how it effected the local economy.

Hands up how many people didn't actually do that, and instead researched which retailers were most NZ owned and operated, went along to them and said "HI, I'd like to buy a NZ-made fridge that has a good energy-efficiency rating, regardless of price". :roll:

I don't blame them for moving overseas, and I can't see why this country would even bother trying to compete with China or India for cheap labour. Do we really want more big industry/manufacturing plants in our "clean green" country? There are so many other things we can do that those countries can't (based on our geographic isolation, GE-free clean green reputation etc), so shouldn't we focus on those instead?

Whatever you think about the Labour government, they have put more $$ into conservation (the environment) than any past government.

Great, they've also put more money into bureaucrats and other frivolous wastes than past governments. Wouldn't it be nice if they put some money into health, education and infrastructure as well?

The problem is that they tax the industry I work in to make up for the effect of dairying so an industry that helps the environment is penalized and then you get Carters closing mills. They could've thought that they were doing the right thing but have only added to the reason we are doing it so hard (NZ 3rd biggest export earner). I hold green issue very high and would call my self a worker rather than businessmen but they haven't done any good with either issue. When they first got in they stopped Rimu milling, not because of conservation but votes. Now they have stop cutting these forest the Kiwi that where in them and that benefited from the money being reinvest to control pest has stopped. So from going from a increase in Kiwi numbers of 3% annually they are know having to catch these birds and remove them to an off shore Island as they were deceasing in number be about 5% annually. They are making the wrong decision. The free trade deal wont bring any more money into the country as the Chinese aren’t dumb and will ask for a reduction in price in line with the removal of tariffs. This has happened with logs imported into China. They may know where they won't to get to but have no idea how to get there and we are all paying just like the staff at F&P.

I buy appliznces from Forlongs, a locally owned retailer. And I did buy F & P a local manufacturer

Sadly, I'd say you're the minority these days.

Unfortunately most people don't have the luxury of being able to afford/justify paying more for kiwi made stuff [due to political reasons that I am not allowed to go into] so we're going to see this kinda thing happening more and more often...

I manage a locally owned and operated appliance store.

Unfortunatley David R is right on the nail.

Price determines what most people buy. And if they want a particular product but dont like the price then most people then try wrangle the price lower and lower. this is making it harder for the locally owned inderpendants as the big australian chains just sell thing at a loss sometimes just to move boxes. And what money is made in the sales goes into the pockets of the big wigs in Oz.

We just had one locally owned shop shut its doors this month.

Sadly its going to be a common occurance.

Especially with all the junk we will start to see dumped into the market because of a "lovely" lady signing a deal.

Thats my little rant.

Back to my new glowlights for me........

the first decent washing machince i brought was F & P & i must have nearly replaced every part in it. Once it was out of warrenty i was out of luck, even after ringing them. silly me then brought an F & P fridge & have had little things go wrong. so i brought a simpson washing machine because i wont touch F&P stuff & its great. It wasnt cheap but id rather pay more for something i use nearly everyday than buy crap thats cheap & wont last. If i hadnt had problems with F&P i would still buy from them untill now, what happened to buy kiwi made & keep our country working?