Endlers (Venezuelan guppies) in NZ

cesarz

Hi Keri Anne,

Yes I will work with caserole to get the albino one you want the blonde ones actually look close enough to #21 on the swampriveraquatics site. My camera is not good and the colours in real life are a lot better than that.

Hi Dixon1990,

These wild guppies are only 2cm long and the black bar on the centre of the body intensifies and connects to the dot near the peduncle when excited.

Hi caserole,

So you got some blondies? Will try to post a picture of my one here.

Are these wild guppies from the same place as the wild mollies?

They are from Golden Springs last christmas. Not many of the wild guppies look like these or maybe there were many but they can shut off the black bar when they want to hide so I only found three. forgot to get any females, wasn't thinking right back then.

• 1 year later...
Hi All.

So why don't we think of incorporating a "Wild Guppy" hunt when we have the "Annual Molly Hunt"? :roll: :roll:

The guppys are in a private property (a motel resort) so it is not a good idea for a group of people descending on their property. Howerever, if I can find the other spots where the guppys are and not inside a private property, we can organise a "Guppy Hunt". That will be my mission for the holidays.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Cesarz

Are the wild guppy on the private property not the same as the millions in the lake in the main township and all the accesses to the lake.

Are the guppy by the millions in the western spring in auckland the same and very similar or very different .

I saw some little fish in one of the Auckland Zoo ponds at the weekend and was wondering what they were. Looking at that link I think they must have been gambusia.

This is probably a dumb question but why don't they get rid of the ones at Western Springs if they're so bad?

Has anyone been to Animates Botany recently? Cold water guppies tank. There's some proper guppies in there (mostly female) but the males look entirely different. I was amazed when I saw these ones. Instantly thought about Endlers and tempted to go and buy a bunch.

Has anyone been to Animates Botany recently? Cold water guppies tank. There's some proper guppies in there (mostly female) but the males look entirely different. I was amazed when I saw these ones. Instantly thought about Endlers and tempted to go and buy a bunch.

Cold water guppies? :(

Cold water guppies? :(

There's always that one tank. I don't think people realise they can't live in true cold water. I have some babies in a cold water tank because I didn't want to keep them in my big tank, but my room is still stupidly hot and it doesn't upset them. Poor things at the shop though.