Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Filtration

Featured Replies

Im setting up a breeding battery of tanks the will house 12 twin tanks of 600 x 300 x 300 with a devider in the middle. I have noticed that quite a few setups have air stones only in their tanks but would I be better off with putting a filter in each?

Im thinking of say an Aqua-one small filter (the smallest) in each 300 x 300 x 300 unit?

I'd go for a decent air pump, a big one, you know you'll need it Barrie, and go for the sponge filters.

You don't have to worry about babies being sucked thru a system then.

Cheap to run and easy to clean.

Not taking you long mate.

When was it?

Last Week or something that you got in touch??

Stop thinking too.

You ARE NZKA 113

  • Author

Yes

I was thinking of the sponge filters but have to ask eh

things move quickly but Im still waiting for the prices to come back, Started the tanks though

I have a bank of 6 tanks (1200 x 450 x 450mm) divided into 6 with no air or filters and it works well heated underneath with a heat pad. I grow out in bigger tanks that are heavily planted.

  • Author

No air or filtration?

how often would you do water changes and how much would you change then?

Am I better of with air and filters or just wasteing $$$

Thanks for all the help and hope Im not proveing to be a tooooo bigger pain in the rear

I use small corner bubble filters in my killie tanks.

seems to work ok... haven't changed anything in the past year... think they could be due for a clean soon :roll:

  • Author

Thanks

I get the first stand some time next week and have a few of the tanks made so will be looking at the filters next and looking at finding a place that I can steal back from my wife hobbies

There were some filters on tm last week that are a sponge filter with a difference. They have a bit inside the sponge that has space for filter material like carbon to go in it. smcoleman has them at his place. Might be an alternative.

There were some filters on tm last week that are a sponge filter with a difference. They have a bit inside the sponge that has space for filter material like carbon to go in it. smcoleman has them at his place. Might be an alternative.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Pe ... 80.htm?p=3

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Pe ... 31.htm?p=4

i use them too, they're pretty good but takes up space.

For my killi tank 300x200x200 I make my own filters.

Get some thick sponge cut into blocks 50-70mmsq x 100mmH and silicone firmly to 5mm class.

Cut a hole down the middle place a tube that is big enough to have an air tube placed in side it and thats it, they work very well even better then some of the small sponge filters that are available.

  • 5 weeks later...
  • Author

yes

Thanks a lot

put them in and now have to wait until Thursday for the compressor and heaters (then the sparky)

thanks again

  • Author

yea

been about a month since Ive had my tanks and still cant get them up and going..

Not to worry, it will happen

I use a combination of airstones and sponge filters. I tend to have airstones in fry & breeding tanks due to the constant water changes anyway, and sponge filters for grow out tanks.

Tim

Are you anywhere near Nathan Rd fishboi? I was ripped off by a trader there and am waiting for the authorities to get to him. Want to visit a merchant with some heavies in tow to get my goods for me? :lol:

We did wok. It was ongoing and a last minute decision just before we flew out. Since we had been dealing with them and been impressed with the service we thought we could trust them to post out the goods when completed. They were also Govt. approved. :cry:

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.