well lets see some real reef tanks

reef

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how about i take away ALL your corals and save you HEAPS of time!!! :lol: actually, why dont you just give me your tank and we'll call it quits - I'll even give Pies a grain of sand :) whats the worst that could happen? i could buy it overstocked, give it an outbreak of cyano then spend over $5k upgrading it? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here are some updated photos of my cyno tank. :D

I thought this might inspire Steve/nick; cyno geeks. :D:D

Tank is due for a few changes this week.

New 400w metal halides to replace 250w. Total of 2200watts.

Remove 20 fish so I can reduce nitrates/Phosphates to zero for supa colours.

Add 25kg of Miracle Mud.

Add Regal tank,Powder Black.Sohal tang

Watchout for the Tank to be featured in the Coral magazine in a few months.

717P1011324.jpg

717P1011323.jpg717P1011296.jpg

717P1011310.jpg

717P1011307.jpg

717P1011299.jpg

717large-photo-sticth.jpg

I'm also removing some fish, managed to trap two anthias today.

If anyones after the following fish let me know:

Lyretail Anthias x 5

Brown Tang (scopas), very nice colouration with green/white spots.

Blue and Gold striped damsels x 5

maybe a few others as well.

I'm also testing a mistery additive over the next few months after some intensive research on coral calcification. It promises to increase growth rates of coral, and will hopefully improve colouration. (No, it's NOT zeovit :wink: )

Layton

Hey Layton-

I may be interested in those Anthias and a mate of mine may also be interested in your tang. We are both new reefers here in Christchurch just starting to get our systems up and running. Send me an e-mail. Maybe we can do business on the fish and possibly get together for me to pick your brain on some tips for this whole reef business! :)

Cheers,

Steve

[email protected]

Chimera- No, not "just" starting, but definitely a newbie compared to the tanks and experience that are presented here. I've had my tank up 11 months now and my buddy has had his up for maybe 4-6 months. My wife really wants something along the lines of a school of Chromis, but I think that the colors of the Anthias would be much nicer.

Sweet as, just checking as you did say "just starting out!" More details for everyones info would be cool as Brian has already said. Perhaps it would be good if we could have a "summary" of our tanks listed under our aliases on each post - saves this asking all the time!

I don't know if this should really be in this forum, since you asked Brianemone, here is my scene.

I made the same unfortunate and stupid mistake as quite a few new aquarists by going down to the LFS without a clue about marine tanks and spent a heap of money on stuff/setup that I later find out that I really don’t want/need. That was about a year ago and since then I’ve been maxing out credit cards and spending heaps of DIY time making up for those errors. I certainly don't blame the LFS since the initial setup would have been fine for someone else, but it just isn't what I would have purchased if I was a little wiser (did a bit more research) at the time.

The tank is a 5x2x2 with a wet-dry filter (which I am going to ditch during the semester break and build a new sump) and 3x1x1 refugium that I’ve just started in hopes of creating a mangrove (but can’t seem to find any, so it just has various macro algae at the moment). Since the initial screw up at the fish shop, I’ve taken quite a liking to the DIY stuff (which also falls into line with the large discussion in another thread on prices here in NZ) and have created two fairly large skimmers (1 Eurostyle and 1 countercurrent), which pump out heaps of sludge daily. Also over break, I’m going to DIY a metal halide setup since I only have 6 floros now. I think my corals will be much appreciated. Although, the tank is located out in my conservatory and it gets pretty good natural sunlight for about 4 hours each day (given the sun actually makes an appearance that day!) and so far no major issues about algae blooms that everyone warned me of. In fact, I had worse problems with algae (hair, red slimy stuff, bubble, etc…) when it was in the middle of my living room, but that was most likely due to my lack of husbandry knowledge/skills at the time.

I am pretty well stocked with fish: Kole Tang, Yellow Tang, 6 line wrasse, Coral Beauty, White Tail Pygmy Angel, Bi-colored Blenny and a Jeweled Rock Skipper. If I can get these Anthias off of Layton, I think I’m pretty well set for fish (possibly verging on overstocked when they are all full grown!!).

As for corals and inverts, I have a 2 cleaner and 2 fire shrimp. I really want to get some starfish, snails, crabs, etc... , but can’t seem to find any down here. For corals, they are mostly LPS, leathers and quite a few various types of mushrooms. I would love to get into the SPS stuff that are in most of your tanks, but they will have to wait until I get the new lights as well as I will have to read up on compatibility with the stuff I already have. Possibly some tough decisions in the future!!

I unfortunately don’t have any pics to share as of yet, but it would be a bit embarrassing anyway compared to some of the masterpieces on this thread alone. I will see if I can get a digital camera from one of my mates later on and could possibly get some tips from you guys on my setup. :)

I would like to thank everyone for all their discussion in this forum since most of my learning comes directly from here as well as others like WetWebMedia, Reef Central, etc…!

Cheers,

Steve

Sorry for the length, but I always have a tendency to ramble!! In this case, pictures would speak a 1000 words!

Oh no not Miracle Mud!!!!!!

Beware as Miracle Mud as it seems to be a "snake oil" solution in this hobby, and may be dirt out of some guy's back yard.

First it was Rowaphos and Carbon...

Then came a Zeolite type (not Zeovit) in a canister filter

then A zeovit reactor with Phosphate removers

now miacle mud :-?

More Protien skimmers and light combinations that I can remember

I cannot keep up with the changes that go on in Alois Tank. just makes me wonder who is paying for it...The NZ Hobbiest :D:D:D

Still nice Acro's

Tall poppy syndrome strikes again.

I make changes so I can get the best out of my tank and advise hobbyist which is the best product, maybe this why I have more creditability and get better results.

How can you make comment if you can’t afford to try new products on the market?

The results speak for themselves; maybe this is why your tank is very ordinary. Certainly have not seen it reviewed in any of the leading magazines. Wonder why??