well lets see some real reef tanks

reef

Just changed my bulbs a week or two ago. I was using Venture 10k bulbs, which i'd probably rate as 12 - 14k. I was very happy with these, and they were very reasonably priced. I now have coralvue 20k's. They appear similar in colour to the ventures, but I think the light from the 20k's is distributed more at opposite ends of the spectrum. ie more Blue, and more red/yellow, with little green. They definitely make the green corals fluoresce more, without the ultra blue look that a lot of 20k bulbs.

Ballasts are standard atco MH ballasts with ignitors, and cost around $140 with caps. Apparently you can get a similar ballast used for high pressure sodium and metal halides for around $120 all together in a case, from many hydroponics suppliers.

Reflectors, well I can get aluminium plates from work, which I polish using a buffer and braso, then bend to create the reflector. It's too hard to find anything else suitable. All I see are the white painted hydroponics ones.

Layton

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah reflectors are hard one, i think I will go for the standard multiple bent U shape reflectors for mine, similar to what you are describing. Standard DIY from RC :)

Ballasts, yeah so hard to choose the right one, I think I will just go with hydroponic option, pre-wired, pre-configured. Unless you have a better source (or someone out there can do me a deal on 4x 400watter?).

How much for the venture bulbs & where from. You obviously have had no problems with the Coralvue bulbs in your ballasts which is encourgaging as they are the bulbs I think I will use assuming I can get them in ready supply. I may also check out the radium bulbs too as its the most likley place I will get my ballasts from.

I think I will try and use 4 400s, with 3foot tubes running width ways across the tank 400-tube-400-tube-400-tube-400 with 4x 5ft T5s runing center lengthways across the tank. Not 100% sure yet.

Pie

• 1 year later...

How time flies! Interesting to see the changes in just two years!

I even took a bit of convincing:

Barebottom is an up and coming trend in some circles in the States (if RC is anything to go by). Personally I don't like it. A thin layer of substrate is good.

Many of the guys promoting barebottom tanks have come from having deep sand beds, which turned nasty. So they are going from one extreme to the other. I'll take the middle ground.