well lets see some real reef tanks

reef

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll post up some full tank pics later.

Steve! Hurry up man.

Alois, that Anthia looks awesome man. 10/10. Infact your tank looks great, and the glass is so clean ;)

Gotta frag up some corals today. Also reintroducing some rock from my sump, thats been getting the lights off for algae control (removing calurpa from my display. Ohhh and kill some more Aipstasia ar$e F$%k C%$ts. They are by far the worst thing about the entire hobby.

More pics can be found on my web site.

Great pics, I know there are others with reef tanks, lets see them.

Pies

Hey Reef,

I wonder how much the power costs to run that tank! I make it nearly 2kW of lighting + approx 350W of pumps. That works out to approx $130.00 a month assuming 12 hours a day on lighting and doesn't include heating (which I dare say you don't need with that much lighting). Do you run a chiller by chance?

Hi warren

Power cost is about $400 per month. But that includes other tanks of about 2000 litres.

I do have a problem as the power turns off when I turn the microwave on. I will have to run a ext cable from another area to relieve some of the load.

Don’t run a chiller yet. It is fairly cool in the room were the tank is located.

Tank gets up to 29c some times but hangs about 28c in summer and 26c in the winter.

Nice clam Steve must be the diesel in the Takapuna seawater.

Get some anemone pics up......

OK you wanted to see anemone pictures. Beat this.

aipstasia.jpg

I've managed to propogate them several times now, JetSkiSteve if you need help getting you anemone to split give me a call, I don't seem to have any problems at all...

Pies

Great tanks guy's. I wasn't sure if anyone in NZ kept marine tanks this big and good looking. Awesome effort. I'd like to have a reef tank too (of a similar size) but it's outside my budget. I've had to settle for a similarly sized Amazon Biotope tank instead (heavily planted Discus tank). Its still great, but not quite the same as these masterpieces!

Its my anemones that won him over ;)

Warren. It tanks months, if not years for a marine tank to cycle. Start with a medium size tank, 4ft+.

Why not get the tank, fill it with rock and a heater, some power heads for waterflow and leave it for a year! Gives you heaps of time to start saving or building the bits you need :)

Remember the expense comes from keeping the stoney corals (CA reactors, Halide Lighting, Heavy Skimming). Don't start with these animals and it would be a lot cheaper than you may think :)

Go on, GO FOR IT! I know you love the science behind keeping a tank, once you start you won't regret it!

The pic is fine and tank looks great!

For the benifit of those looking at the above Picture, Steve has a bow fronted corner tank. Its one of the smallest reef tanks around but easily one of the nicest. Proof that it doesn't need to be large to be successful.

The picture also doesn't show the hole that Steve had to bang through the house to house all the equipment, but this one does :D

jetskisteve.jpg

Ohhh and the Anmone in the pic is at least 5 years old Steve?