well lets see some real reef tanks

reef

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm insulted that you would think I am that ignorant towards my chosen hobby, that being the case I should give up before I even start!! No just kidding!! I was mistaken and thought that chimera was getting an acrylic syphon overflow box made (or wier). And thought better planning should of been done if he was to need one of these. But that was my missunderstanding, sorry!! :wink:

my wife keeps telling me the same thing, "our new tank looks so beautiful, its such a big difference over the old tank"...

...just wait til i load it full of corals darling!

must admit, the blue background does wonders for "enhancing" its appearance, as it has done for mine.

• 4 weeks later...

Chimera - Thats why I said paint it blue, it helps make the tank look 10x nicer.

IRA - I know someone here in Wellington selling a medium/large piece of rock covered with Blue Mushrooms, PM we and i'll get it sorted for you. Has maybee 10 or more mushrooms.

Pies

• 2 weeks later...

Layton that looks really good. Your tank is realling comming along nicely and I can see some serious colour and growth compared to previous photos. AWESOME, I am truely impressed.

I'd love a highres pic if you can manage it? just email through to me. Also if you have one of your plumbing&sump&lights/reflectors i'd be keen to see that to. My tank is comming along, so its my last change to learn from everyones mistakes before mine starts its bedding in process.

Have you removed/lost/sold some fish? I remeber seening banner fish and a Naso tang? The green monti on the left looks well nice.

Pies

Thanks Pies, as usual the photo never looks as good as the real thing.

The Naso died a while back. Just stopped eating and two days later died. I suspect cyanide, but I don't know, not usually something you'd associate with fish from Hawaii though. But it died very quickly, very strange.

Still got one banner fish (must be camera shy), I lost one right after the fire though.

Sold all my anthias, plus some annoying damsels.

I'm quite surprised at the colours myself, cause nitrates are around 10. Will be interesting to see once they drop, things should look a lot better. They are finally on the way down now.

I'm just about to add a third 400Watt halide so i'll get some pics of my lights and stuff when I add that in.

Layton

Whats the costs/info on your halides? I need to buy 4 for my new tank, and am shopping around now. I remember we spoke about it a while back, what are you using, what bulbs are you using and have you had any troubble? I am really keen to keep my lighting costs down to a minimum if possible. Also keen to know what you are doing for a relfector.

Interesting about a 3rd bulb, when I had (well still have I guess) my 5 footer I wish I had 3 bulbs (250 DE) not 2x. I think you will notice a mega improvemet in lighting from the 3rd.

Shame about the fish, esp the Naso, awesome fish but they do get massive.

Pie