well lets see some real reef tanks

reef

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, i know. We had a house fire last week, started in a faulty dryer in the laundry. It wiped out the garage and the laudry. Bloody lucky that we have smoke alarms, as everyone was asleep at the time. So still cleaning up after that. (Just got phones and internet hooked up again yesterday)

Good news is that the tank looks fine, just a bit of recession on a couple of acros, at the base. I'm surprised the smoke didn't kill more. I'll get some pics up soon. I've got exams on at the moment as well, so it's all pretty busy.

Layton

OMG fire? Glad to hear everyone is OK. A smoke alarm saved my old house too, well worth the $10.00 they cost.

Good that its all going well. I just need another tank to 'live through' since mine is in a horrid state setup in the garage.

Keen as for some photos. Send em to me via email ([email protected]) if you can't be bothered posting them up. Love to see them.

Good luck with the exams. I remember how busy I was when it was exam time. Be all over before you realise it.

Pies

• 3 weeks later...

not really a reef yet but thought that i might let you all see how things are going.

sorry about the pic quality and lghting

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v31 ... _strip.jpg

and some pics of the inhabitants that you cant see in the main one

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v31 ... friend.jpg

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v31 ... _fuzzy.jpg

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v31 ... e_Nemo.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
nice

Thanks.

where are your fish??

There's actually 5 fish, but they're all hiding. 1x sailfin tang, coral beauty, blue chromis, gold-head sleeper goby, bicolour blenny.

what are its specs??

The specs are pretty standard, with a great deal of DIY action.

Equipment: 3x14x16 AGA with DIY overflow and durso standpipe, Resun 1/6 hp chiller, Ablite reflex reflector in DIY retrofit hood extension, 1x250W 14000k ballast and bulb, DIY denitrifying coil, DIY auto top-off, plenum in custom DIY sump, Queen 2000 skimmer (needs upgrading).

Water chemistry: Temp 25-27, pH 8.4, Ca 420ppm, Alk 120ppm, Phosphates ~0.05ppm, Am. NO4. NO3. all 0ppm.

Feeding and dosing: Artemia, Mysis, Rotifers, DIY two part Ca and Alk solutions as needed.

Most of the corals are fairly recent additions. However, the have already started to encrust and grow and will hopefully fill it up a bit more.

Here's a shot of the coral beauty...

coral%20beauty.jpg

There are some more on my website.

Great looking tank and excellent photos. More!

Pies

Thanks pies. I'm heading over to a mate's place this afternoon actually. I might post up some pictures of his tank. It's a 8x2x2.5 in-wall number, you guys will wet your pants :)

In the meantime, here's another couple of acro shots for the SPS die-hards:

acro%204%20Jul%2004.JPG

acro%205%20Jul%2004.JPG

The little frag on the middle-right of the bottom photo is from a bright blue colony. It should colour up nicely.

Yeah, there are a variety of local collectors and healthy trading between aquarists. The aquarium collection fishery is a limited entry licensing system with limited collection areas, relative to the zoning of the GBR Marine Park and World Heritage Areas (which was updataed on 1 July to conserve 30% of the reef), etc... The licenses go for about A$140000.

Chimera, it's just algae producing O2 when they photosynth. I'm getting some hermits/snails to clean it up.