Molly Hunt 04/02/07????

dave

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shelzie bring your son with you. We will take turns fishing him out whenever he falls in :wink

caryl im sure my son would love to come, he loves making a mess in the mud every chance he gets and loves water.

when our 300L tank burst open last week it was just me and my little brother home and it was a strugle trying to stop the water going further through the house, and trying to get the water out the door, then i had my son trying to play in the water and kept slipping over and i gave up within 10 mins and called the carpet cleaners to com in and clean up the water.

RULE 1: No shoving anyone in until after the fish have been caught! We don't want them scared off and the water any murkier than it already is.

Caryl the minute somebody walks in and starts netting you will see absolutely nothing!! Take some old shoes though as I remember some people got "hot feet" who went barefoot into the swamp - there are some hot spots where quite hot water comes up.

And yes you will catch far too many to take, they are not difficult to catch at all. How you keep them alive is another matter. There are 12 Volt pumps available which you can plug into the cigarette lighter when driving which might help. And prepare a very hot tank for them to go into and something to eat too. Remember they do not know what flakes are!

Good luck! Will think of you all.

I didn't do anything special with the ones I caught last time. Just tossed them in a normal tropical tank and off they went. Had them breeding no worries.

I wouldn't worry too much about the temperature. When chasing the fish round the swamp to catch them the temperature changes all over the place. The fish handle it ok so are used to rapid temperature change.

They are very hardy fish and I had no trouble breeding them at all. I was using very pure water though with an almost neutral pH. Possibly similar to the environment they live in - it would be interesting to test the water to see what it's like.

Shelize itwould be good to see another waikato person in down there. Bring your son actitiys (activities) like this are for everyone to become involded and most importanly enjoy themselves.

So impress about the intrest about the molly hunt just can't wait . :D:D

oh i wish i could come to but its just to far away :( is anyone from the SI going ?? and willing to send some to me i would love some of these guys they look so cool .if anyone is going from the SI and is willing to send me some i would love it please pm me if you can thanks jared

We are South Island and going Jared. Whether we can keep some alive long enough to get them to you I don't know but can try. We will be in ChCh mid March to pick up our new 4WD. In between we will be overseas so someone else will be living in the house and feeding the fish.

WAHOO!!! I'm coming to the hunt with a friend, managed to clear up my sunday so will be scooting over in the morning!!!!!

So can take responsibility for my fish once i get there, rather than making other people run round with them :oops:

I am sure that this thread is going to make 2200 veiws .

Any suggestions on where we should meet before hand have a kinda idea who is coming down and staying at club habiat and who is meeting on the day.

Like to organise a BBQ or something for everyone to meet on saturday night.Might have to talk to my follow executive members about maybe having something after the meeting on Saturday :D

YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Im gunna come on the hunt.

The only hunting I have done in the past is on horseback but Ive decided to leave the GG at home this time. I take it, I will have to wear different attire, as in, leave the leather boots, whips and spurs at home?? :wink:

I will be going only for the hunt on Sunday and leaving from West Auckland if anyone wants a lift there and back.

I dont actually want any Mollies cause I dont think they would like it very much with the Malawis so if any one wants any bought back let me know.

G.D. I could meet you in Taupo and take you there or alternatively you could download a map from Tumonz live.

Dave there is very poor parking and nowhere to mill around at the Molly pond ,however there is a bridge just before you get there where the Tokaanu stream is where everyone could meet.(plenty of parking beside the stream).