Everything posted by Dougstark
-
Has anyone heated an outdoor pond during winter for turtles?
I keep my Reeves in a glasshouse and decided not to heat thier pond last winter as they made themselves at home in a pile of leaves for the winter.
-
Beardie Breeders
Try 30-35 but even cooler for coastals.
-
Algae problems
Thanks I will pass that on.
-
Beardie Breeders
Were listed on here and I still have them available.
- Beardie Breeders
-
Algae problems
About 10 hours a day for lights, and no she does not overfeed.
-
Algae problems
My daughter was having problems with her tropical tank. The tank is not heavily planted, no plant debri, gravel is kept vacumed lighting is okay, not too many fish. Reasonably regular water changes. She had problems with black algae and after treating and replacement of tank decoration eventually got rid of it. We then got rid of the internal filter and replaced with a larger external canister filter. A few months later she started having problems with green cloudy water (single cell floating algae). I got her to increase her water changes but it only slowed it down. I eventually went over ( I live in Gisborne, she live in Hamilton) with a UV light attachment for her filter and we had success. Unfortunately the last trp I made she is now having problems with what I think is blue green algae. She is not having much luck getting rid of it, considering how clean she keeps her tank, how do you deal to the blue green algae and why does she keep having these problems. I have advised her to increase water changes, treat withSera baktopur direct and turn off lights for a week while treating. Are there any other suggestions?
-
The worlds tiniest chameleon discovered!
:rotf: No one would notice if you smuggled one of those in.
-
My first!!!
My male leopard appears to be sterile. Had about 20 eggs from 6 females and none fertile :-?
-
My first!!!
Another bach of coastal bearded babies last week (5 again) as well as 4 baby waterdragons. One more batch of eggs in the incubator to go. :happy1:
-
My leopard gecko set-up!!!
Maybe not the best, being so open it may dry out too quick. I use icecream containers with a hole cut in the side or lid, tho they wont look great in your setup. Maybe you can hide one with your plants and rocks etc.
-
Ti Point Reptile Park
Great stuff. Hope to get there one day.
-
Bearded dragon and his veges
Mine love young puha leaves and flower buds as well.
-
Places that sell reptile carper??
I use astro turf for my leopards, comes from Bunnings. They had more than one variety when I was there. They had an olive one which seemed to be a softer texture and I think cheaper that may be more suitable.
-
My first!!!
Five and counting, hatching a lot slower than I expected :cofn:
-
My first!!!
Usually the warmer they are the lighter they get. The darker colour is probably because of age.
-
My first!!!
My first baby Eastern Bearded Dragon. :happy1: Hatched this afternoon. Maybe another 12 eggs to go :happy2:
-
hange on skimmers
The risk with doing that is getting the pumps running at the same speed so that you dont have one of the tanks over flowing.
-
how do you sex shrimp
Have two of those myself. They tend to take turns dropping young. Almost impossible to raise. I let the fish eat them as a free feed of live food.
-
Bearded dragon and his veges
Coastals grow bigger than the inland dragons so need more room. They are happy outside during the summer. I keep mine in a glasshouse year round with little heating. I take most of the glass off the roof during the summer. I grow mesculum salad plants, puha, dandylion, and chickweed in the glasshouse for them to browse. I keep water dragons and Reeves turtles in the same glasshouse. There is a pond in there which during the winter is kept heated to about 16C. I have seen photos of aviary style cages used by other members on this site.
-
Bearded dragon and his veges
Try some dandelion flowers, thats the first greens mine would take.
-
Exo Terra Website
I tried getting one of their products a couple of years back, which was not available in the country, but was told they had an agent in New Zealand and would not deal direct.
-
The right albinos
Couple of photos showing one of my albinos and a GBA. Albinos from a well known Auckland breeder.
-
The right albinos
I bought some albino bristlenose cats a while back but they are not what I expected. I beleive there are two varieties available so make sure you get the type you want. The ones I got I believe are albino golden bristlenose cats as they show no white spotting as seen on some photos of albino standard bristlenose cats :sage:
-
My First FOWLR Tank
Looks like hermit crabs may be available from http://www.coralreef.co.nz/ soon. Hoping to get ablue one myself. :happy2: