fish can give you a desease!!!!!!

craig

hi guys,

you know how you wash your hands before going into your fishies enviroment,as you don't want anything going in the tank,ie if you smoke etc.

well you should make a point of washing your hands afterwards and definitely cover cuts,or if you have a cut don't put hand in tank.

fishie TB, it is extremely painful,that cut just won't heal,it swells up,if you knock it you almost go through the roof.

it has been on ongoing problem i am having,i first got it at work,a tiny cut of a glass lid,it would not heal,itched and was hot all the time,swelled up that bad had to take rings off.went to the doctor,yep fish TB,medication pills doxycycline HCL Ta 100mg,don't take iron or calcium with it and protect yourself from sunlight,not to mention how sick the pills make you feel.

6 mths later landed in hospital in a coma for three days,dehydration, working in hot enviroment(quareentine) i thought i drank heaps,body had no calcium or potassium,so all those working in hot fish rooms drink heaps and eat lots of bananas.anyway still had the fishie TB present in the blood,more of the same pills.

12 mths later, i still have it. the scars never go away and periodicaly still swell up and get very sore. so if you have a cut that just won't heal,go and see doctor.

we are always worried about our fish and what we might put in their water,we never think that our fish water can give us a problem.

i used to chloro my hands after being in tanks,but it was the cut.

shell.

OMG,

That is terrible, :-? :-? :-?

I do hope that things will improve for you in the very near fututre, as you say, we are always concerned as to what we are doing with our percious fishys and what we are contaminating their water with and never think twice about what they could possibly be giving us. :roll: :roll: :roll:

You have made an Excellent Point, I am sure alot of Fishy People will be grateful that you shared your experience with us. :wink::wink::wink:

Hope You get well soon :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Lynda

Oh..I am so sorry for all you have and continue to go through.

I do always wash my hands before/after being in my tanks but I have to admit I have a terrible habit of nail and biting skin on my fingers. But since all the trouble with my fishies because I was scared maybe this somehow may have contributed to their problems so I am trying really hard to kick the habit.

Thanks for sharing this with us and I wish you the best :)

Just a question, is fish TB the same as what humans can get, if you know what I mean?

Yes it is well known you can catch diseases from your animals - fish included. TB is a biggy and can have devastating affects.

It is a different TB Caper I believe. A past Aquarium World magazine had an article about it.

Having peeled my finger last week, I had it in a tank yesterday. Will keep you posted.

hi caper,

i think fishy TB is bad for your fish,like human TB is bad for humans,if ya get what i mean.

fishy TB transmitted to humans isn't that bad,but i highly reccommend doing without it.

the medication is worse than the actual problem and it seems it's on going.

headaches go with it too, i think the local pricechopper thought i was a junkie :oops: lots of panadol.

anyways hope this post helps anyone with scratch that won't go away.

i never got any answers to if it canbe transmitted back to the fish via me.

i guess not as i have never had any fish that i have with TB and it has been a long time with the dreaded luggie.

cheers shell.

a while back i thought i had a neon with TB, it looked like normal ol neon tetra disease but it got a bent spine etc, i was advised that it may have been TB and to keep any cuts or abrasions out of the tank so thats how i learnt all about it.

The problem with the bug in TB is that its very difficult to kill, from what I know about about it (which aint much) is that it has a capsule which stops your body's defence mechanism from killin it, and even all the wonder drugs we have today don't kill it very well.

The bug in humans, mycobacterium tuberculosis is different from the bug in fish tanks - mycobacterium marinum, but cos they all have that capsule they're hard to get rid of once you have them. FYI its also in the same family as the leprosy bug.

The bug is more common in salt water compared to fresh water but either way if you notice a scratch that itches a lot or weeps and doesnt heal, better to be safe than sorry and get it looked at.

Had a platy which suddenly developed a bent spine, brought him to the LFS, and the guy said it might have been TB. Been paranoid ever since. Don't mean to scare anyone, but its important to use gloves if you have any cuts or scratches, or at the very least wash your hands after dipping your hand in the tank.

Wow Shell, That is terrible and I hope you do recover. I always cover cuts on my hands but when you work with fish all day, you have no choice but to carry on. Thank you for the advice I will be extremely careful in future.

Sharn I was wondering the same thing?

Are plasters, what we would call band-aids?

But I was also wondering, wouldn't stuff still get to the cut, unless what you have is TRULY waterproof? I was also wondering if any kind would be safe to go into the tank :oops:

And, by the way Sharn, I'm not blonde...I just have these "Dolorosa moments" :o :-? :lol: :lol:

Plasters are Bandaids Caper. Water gets under them though. I know some suggest going to a farm supply store to get the full arm length plastic gloves like farmers use when having to stick their hands up cow's nether regions.

cow's nether regions

Now there's one I don't need explained to me Caryl :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was checking out pet supplies online and saw these long gloves for use when putting hands in tank. I would think they would be very cumbersome though, but since I don't have them I don't know :-?

Ive always got cuts on my hands and I work in fish tanks all day! I have a cut on my leg that is taking a long time to heal.......its not weepy or itchy tho and its not a open cut anymore.........oh dear maybe i should invest in some "nether regions" gloves?

When I was managing a lfs in Brissie, we also had our own import room.

The dude responsible for maintainance got Fish Tb, sore came up on the back of his hand. The sore just kept getting bigger & deeper. He had to get 3 opinions before a doctor believed TB & tested for it. The owner, told him straight off the bat that it was fish TB. You could at one stage see 1-2cm down into his hand. :o

He said to touch or bang the sore caused extreme pain, otherwise fine. Just horrible to look at. In the end it spand 1/2 of the back of the hand.

What he said about the drugs were the same as what Craig said, they knock around the insides alot.

He still kept doing the same job, just dressed the sore up, & threw on a plastic glove.

I left the job while Jeff was still under treatment & his hand was still bad. I ran into him about 10 months later & it was all healed up. A scar and the skin was still slightly different. Also no longer on medication, was feeling better on the inside too.

Be interesting to see if it will flare up like the one mentioned above.

I have heard of 2 other people with the same problem, all are connected to import rooms too. That part of it makes me wonder. A couple of the practises {IMO} by some exporters in asia are questionable.

Then again I am suprised & more shocked that we eat human food products from the same region, but thats another story.

I wish Craig all the best with his recovery, not a pretty disease to get at all. :evil:

I have seen Fish TB first hand & researched it with Lisa's help{g/f, studying RN} scares the s##t out of me.

Frenchy :D

• 4 months later...

just an update on TB.problem.

partner has been of sick now for 2 wks, x-rays,doctor visits,blood tests all not good. TB might have gone to the spine.

so please take sores on your hands very seriously.

me: it's been 2yrs now still take 2-6 panadol a day for headaches.

watch out for joint pain in knees/ankles/headaches/back and the lump that just won't go away after the sore has closed-up.

shell.

surgical gloves are really cheap these days u can buy them anywhere and if u use talc they can be used over and over again. just put elastic bands over the wrists and it works perfectly with no restriction.Worked for me when the hospital slashed my wrists and let me live!(foolish people had their chance) carpel tunnel.

cheers Jim.

:o All the best to Craig. I hope he is okay. :(

It sounds really nasty, I never thought much about washing my hands afterwards before reading this thread earlier on, I mean I would rinse them in cold water but now I wash quite thoroughly with soap after having them in fish water.

And to think I used to syphon water using my mouth to start it off and sometimes I would get a mouthful of fish water, well won't be doing that again.

• 1 month later...

Are there any products available that you can add to your tank to prevent or lessen the possibilites of catching any fishy bugs?

Such as small weekly doses of melafix or something else.

Can fish in an established tank suddenly get sick as if they are carrying bugs or is it something that is introduced by say new additions of plants, fish etc?

I have seen an add on TV for a product you use as an alternative to washing your hands, its a clear cream that you put a small amound on your handes and rub it in, its kind of a hand sanitiser. Say if you go to the toilet at a resteraunt and you want to ensure your are bug free before you pick up that bread roll for a munch !

Its called GERM-X.

Im going to make the effort to but this and when I have finished cleaning the tank I will wash my handies then use this product.

Lifes to short to live it unwell.

its just alcohol pretty much i think- we use the same stuff at work but its in dispensers. it sort of evaporates and smells bad :lol: i would not put my hands in a tank after using it but after youve finished would be fine-washing your hands well with soap would do the same thing though id think.

i dont beleive there is much you can do to lessen yourself catching bugs (its a very very small chance too) other than buying healthy stock and making sure to quarentine fish before adding them to the existing tank plus your usual personal hygene when dealing with the tank. i dont know much about TB so i dont know how it occurs.

Such as small weekly doses of melafix
This is nowhere strong enough to prevent TB. In Asia they used to use chlor-B in a powdered form to wash down holding tanks. I don't think they do that anymore as it is believed to be carcinogenic. One problem was replaced with another.

As said above, be really careful with your own cuts. There are other types of infections you can get from fish tank water. Most people I here/seen with this disease have been connected to imported fish. Fish that contract the disease will have redbordered lesions in the skin & when the lesions are ruptured nothing is released. Once fish have been released in quarentine & then spotted chances are your hands have already been in the tank. Most import rooms will discard these fish. Simply rule for the customer, never buy fish with sores or that look sick.

Here is a helpful link to read; contains a section on prevention.

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/management/Lawler_Tank_Safety.html

Hope Craig & Shell are fine too.

Frenchy :D