Landscapers start on my new pond tomorrow!

Caryl

Caryl, I was wondering if the steel was lifted up off the plastic as the concrete was poured.

On checking back thru your pics, you have at least four penetrations of the diaphragm, the concrete as agreed by the contractors has too big aggragate. ??

This will only cause a problem if it is not placed properly.

IE, vibrated to cleatr the air voids thru which the water will leak.

How thick is the concrete base, steel should have 75mm cover of concrete.

I was also surprised at how soon the pool was filled. It takes a fairly long period of time for the concrete to cure properly, and that doesn't mean set. It means attaining strength.

Concrete can and does shrink in this process and in so doing, it can get cracks forming, opps, leaks.

This is why you'll see water being sprinkled on the surface or wet sacks or similar covering it.

Just to slow up that curing process and alleviate the shrinking of the mass.

If it was me, I'd be doing a full plaster job of it, but then that may crack too.

Or sorry to say, rip it up and start again, this cost would have to be borne by the contractors as the job they have done is not seving the purpose it was done for.

I'd also be using 150mm HRC steel not chicken mesh with 12mm rod in the edges.

Sorry Caryl and Grant, I don't want to sound all gloom and doom, but from years of experience in this type of work I fear the worst.

Alan 104

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't there when they did it so can't answer the questions. I seem to remember them saying the concrete was 10cm thick but I wouldn't quote me on that. I am emailing this updated thread to them so they can see your comments and suggestions too.

They called in an expert from somewhere who is overseeing the fix. Fingers crossed and we will wait and see.

Thanks for the answers Caryl & Zev...re: hedgehogs & OSH :bow:

Gee Caryl, I hope they get this fixed real soon.

With that beautiful backyard and pond...where's the bed going, looks like a great spot to sleep under the stars :P

Day 14 (we have been held up due to welcome rain - not welcome to the vineyards though as they have started harvesting).

Landscaper says yes, the steel rods were lifted off the plastic and the coating is over 100mm - more like 150mm. The pond cured properly and there are no cracks.

They have got a new product up from ChCh to seal the pond. They have put a slurry over it and, with this sealer stuff, it will bond to the concrete.

All will then be repainted with more paint and sealer.

14plastered.jpg

The bottom of the pond looks a lot better then the orriginal seal. Lets hope this new product works, so we can see some fish in there soon....

It amazing that the Landscapers are fixing the problem so fast, over here we would still be waiting for the pond to be built as they work one day then not for weeks, Only some Landscapers that is, not all of them...

We (us and the landscapers) think it looks better too. They said it was funny stuff to work with and quite rubbery to touch. The concreters actually used the wrong aggregate I gather and it wasn't supposed to be as large a grade stones as it had.

Got home at lunchtime to find THEY HAVE STARTED FILLING THE POND AGAIN!

It took half the time it did last time so here's hoping that means the leaks have been fixed. The landscaper says if it hasn't, he'll cry. :cry:

This afternoon they are re-sowing the little bare patches showing up now the lawn has started to grow.