Southlanders Speak Up!!

Maxy

I have spoken to Liz McAskill at East Road Pets tonight regarding the formation of a southern fishkeepers club. Liz used to help out with the previous club a few years ago by providing a venue, practical knowledge, researched information and time. She has very generously offered to help out again if we are to form a local club. She has agreed to display advertising at her premises and take relevant details from all interested fishkeepers. If we can gauge enough interest, then we can go ahead! I will speak to Caryl regarding affiliation requirements for the club, and sort up some posters etc to display at East Road Pets and possibly local freebie newspapers. This is a very kind offer from Liz and one I hope that other southlanders will get behind and take advantage of. THIS IS OUR CHANCE TO START A MUCH NEEDED CLUB, SO C'MON SOUTHLANDERS SPEAK UP!!!!

OK it is easy to affiliate to the FNZAS once you have your club up and running. All you do is write to the FNZAS correspondence secretary

H Goodin, 3a Fenton Tce, Te Puke requesting affiliation. It would pay to giver her the name of your club plus the details for your president, secretary and treasurer. She, in turn, then sends a letter to all affiliated clubs telling them of your club's wish to join the FNZAS and asking for dissenting votes.

The clubs have 2 months to reply. If no-one objects, you will be contacted and asked to pay capitation fees (currently $5 per person but going up to $10 next year) and a Year Book levy (of $25 per year per club and may be paid for by selling an advertising strip in the Year Book). You will then be welcomed into the FNZAS. Easy eh? :wink:

I would be interested big time :D But depending on what nights and times will be very limited to me as I am still feeding Allan :D But I am sure we can work something out as it is only one night a month or something like that :D

Wooo Hooo Lets go Southlanders :D

awesome to hear you gys are getting something started.

Have you tried putting posters up at the lfs and places like the notice board n the mall and the supermarket, as well as seeing if the local businesses will allow you to put them up in the window of thier store.

You may find there are fishkeepers out there without internet or ewho are unaware of this site existing, you may gain more interest that way aswell.

B

We will go ahead with advertising etc, just thought if we could get the forum members who have expressed interest earlier organised for the inaugural meeting first, then Penejane and I wouldnt be the only ones there! And as Penejane said, Ive been away with a family bereavement and thought a bit of momentum may have gathered over that period via the forum posts, but Im back now and keen to get underway!

Hey guys

Its great that you got to talking with Liz! It would be awesome to have a club in Invercargill. It really does suck that whens theres finally talk of a club getting started down here, I have to move to the North Island!!

In the mean time let me know what happens and if Im still around Ill be there for sure!

• 1 month later...

You Invercargillites (Invercargillonians, Invercargilli?) must get a club going down there!

Werner, if you can make it to the Dunedin parade then please do so. Look under the thread about it (under FNZAS Clubs) and ring one of those listed for details.

If you want posters re a club printed etc let me know, am happy to help.

• 5 weeks later...

A club merely provides a place for hobbyists to meet and talk about their hobby. Help each other and swap/sell/buy plants, fish and aquatic equipment etc.

Some clubs show their fish but many members do not like to stress their fish by netting them to take to club nights. Other clubs meet in members' homes each month so get to see each member's tanks on site.

To become a member you contact your local club, or the club of your choice, and make enquiries.

The Canterbury Aquarium & Pnd Soc meet 3rd Wed of the month in the Sydenham Community Centre, 23 Hutcheson St. Sydenham at 7.30pm. Or you can ring their secretary, Linda, 389 3137

• 8 months later...

Decide where and when you want to meet then contact me to make some posters for you. These will advertise the purpose, the date, time and place of the meeting. Put them up in pet shops, supermarkets, library, vets, malls etc anywhere there is a public noticeboard. Talk to the local paper and get them to do an article on you wanting to start a club (preferably before the meeting date).

How's that for a start?

Too busy, too lazy, too scared to be the first, waiting for someone else to do it?

Our club started in private homes then moved to a local Plunket rooms. $8 rent per meeting in those days. 8) We ran a raffle each month (winner provided next month's prize) to cover the rent.