May 25, 200521 yr comment_50761 In our little 40cm tank we got snails along with a fish we brought (only explanation unless they can spontaneously combust into life ). We thought when we got the big tank this was a good time to get rid of the multiplying little blighters. So we left the tank empty and the stones as dry as possible for about six weeks. When we set the tank up again, we boiled the stones for about five minutes before putting them in the tank and setting it up. No luck, ten days later we have little round friends again. :evil: Anyone got any ideas on how to rid ourselves of our unwanted and annoying little guests? Are there freshwater tropical fish that eat them? I had seen snail traps on trademe but had heard they didnt work too well. I really don't want them in the other tanks so am being careful about transferring them unwittingly, but the two preggie swordtails in there will have to come back into the big tank once their babies arrive. If I bring them, minus water, will the snails come too? Any hints much appreciated. Report
May 25, 200521 yr comment_50763 Clown Loaches eat snails. I've never actually seen them do so, but I put some Ramhorns in their tank and the next day there were only empty shells left. Convict Cichlids eat snails too, I've been told (again I've never seen mine do so but they've never encountered any to eat). Report
May 25, 200521 yr comment_50765 I have snails in every tank except the one with a queen loach and a yoyo loach. I transfer stuff back and forth between tanks but this one stays snail free. The loaches can be a bit tough on grassy plants as they unearth them from time to time but otherwise are a nice fish to have I also use my poor yoyo loach as a measure of water conditions - the minute he starts looking a bit pale or listless I do a water change. Don't tell anyone else that will you - I'll get charged with cruelty to fish. :lol: :lol: :lol: Cheers Jude Report
May 25, 200521 yr comment_50769 Yep clowns and angelicus loaches are great for cleaning up snails I had a snail infested tank with thousands of snails, hundreds climbing the sides. 6 clowns and 2 angelicus now and I don't see snails anymore(but I know they are there) Most loaches eat snails I think, some are cheaper 2. All depends on your budget i guess. My loaches are always digging in the gravel. Report
May 25, 200521 yr comment_50771 the loaches can be good solution! considering the budget, may borrow a loach from a firend. :lol: Report
May 25, 200521 yr comment_50802 I can't grow snails! I'm trying to breed them in one of my tanks to feed my puffer, but they've just settled a a pretty low population. Report
May 25, 200521 yr comment_50807 ira, you want me to post you a few hundred of the things, they have breed as well as the guppys in that tank :evil: Report
May 26, 200521 yr comment_50845 Snail traps get a few but not all I found. As said above, clown loaches will surely take care of them. Report
May 26, 200521 yr comment_50855 I use the lettuce leaf, lead weight, and string method. (I better put down how I do it hadn't I?) I tie the string to the lead weight. The lead is about 5mm wide and 50mm long. I wrap the lettuce leaf into the lead. Submerge all into water. When the trap has been in long enough to get a reasonable amount of snails on it. I carefully remove the string, weight and snail infested lettuce leaf, and remove the snails to "where ever". Hope this doesn't cause confusion and it is understandable, also I notice it is keeping to the thread as well. Alan 104 Report
May 26, 200521 yr comment_50862 I tried the lettuce leaf Idea... Didn't work at all :evil: found that it was eaten faster than the snails could crawl on it. Guess it doesn't help when you have 9 Bristlenoses and 2 clown loaches that like the lettuce leaf too. :roll: Report
May 26, 200521 yr comment_50866 Why not just crush them and give free food to ur fish? thats what do. Shae Report
June 6, 200521 yr comment_52140 Most LFS have a product called "Snail Rid" I cant remember the brand name but it works quite well i have used it numerous times. Also sails can go into a hibernation like period just like land ones do. They produce a hard rubber like substance which goes over the opening of their shells, not much can harm them when their in this state. Another good piece of advice is to rinse any weed you buy from your LFS throughly before placing into your tank. I hope this helps. Report
June 23, 200521 yr comment_54232 wow this is interesting. I bought guppy fry from a lady and she included free apple snails with them, there were about 20+ of them obviously she was trying to get rid of hers. I didn't like the look of them and just got out the guppies and left the snails. I'm glad I did this now! and heard so much about snail infested tanks. but if i was to get a puffer and started putting snails in the tank wouldn't i get this problem? Report
June 23, 200521 yr comment_54251 Chim chim... apple snails are pretty cool and when / If you get your puffer, the puffer will take care of your snails Report
June 24, 200521 yr comment_54288 The Apple snails are the ones that they sell at the LFS. The snails that are pests are little buggers that eat your plants up like crazy. Report
June 24, 200521 yr comment_54319 Yep, I've seen my clown loaches chowing down on snails. Now we have no more snails(they came in with our plants). If price is a problem, Upper Hutt pet shop, just outside the Logan Plaza, sells 'em for $11-$12. They're very small, but they still ate our snails! Report
July 4, 200521 yr comment_55525 Because the tank is so small i would use Dwarf Chain Loaches (sidthimunki) rather than clowns etc which can get quite large. These little guys do a great job of eating snails. Alternatively if you dont have enough room for more fish in the tank you could use a copper based treatment called 'snail rid', be very careful when using, don't overdose and follow all instructions carefully. Report
July 4, 200521 yr comment_55526 if you get the clown loaches when they are small it would be ok as the clowns grow really slowly. Another loach that works well is the striata loach. these are small and also do a good job at demolishing populations of snails cheaper too Report
July 5, 200521 yr comment_55530 and how would thoes loaches go with a bristlenose and guppies?? I am having wicked snail probs at the moment. Laying eggs everywhere! Report
July 5, 200521 yr comment_55554 They will be fine with the Bn and guppies. I currently have them in the same tank as my Guppies and bn as well as discus, kribs, rams Report
July 5, 200521 yr comment_55573 I have three in with baby b/n and guppies.. they're fine.. (they're about 1" long too ) Just waiting to see how the snail population comes out.. will report back in a weekish Report
July 5, 200521 yr comment_55583 I have 2 clowns in with 3 GBA and tons of guppies and swordtails to try to control snails...... that i ended up with from shop bought plants :evil: They get along well, i would say don't go for the burmese tiger loaches or angelicious loaches as they can be aggressive. Chased for long enough by my angelicious loaches my striata, queen,clown and yo-yo loaches will definetly defend themselves but i have never seen them being the aggressor. Report
July 5, 200521 yr comment_55586 Well I did a manual removal of snails the other day and the tank seems a lot cleaner lol. There is still a few smaller ones about which I didn't get but they are always comming off with water changes and I pick them off the sides when I do water changes. so far so good. Not tooo over run with snails. But fry on the other hand! SHEES! I got more fry than I have of fish over 2cms! Report
July 7, 200521 yr comment_55743 I feel somewhat out of place amongst all you Kiwi's :-) Anyway, my Oscar tank is infested with Malaysian trumpet snails. They are absolutely horrible, they get everywhere, in your filters, all over the glass, in the gravel, you name it, you will find them. I even went out and bought two huge clown Loaches which cost me a small fortune. I have seen them with snails in their mouth a couple of times, but they haven't really made a difference to the population. These snails are absolutely unbelievable, they breed like rabbits. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a solution to get rid of them. If anyone has got any ideas, please do enlighten me. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.