We’ve recently updated Aquarium World! We’re working through a few bugs, with exciting new features on the way. Thanks for your patience while we fine-tune the site.
Everything posted by vapo
- DIY CO2 yeast mix
-
DIY CO2 yeast mix
Does it have to be kept warm? If so how do you do it?
-
HELP HELP clown loaches have white spot!!
We have had whitespot on the clowns three times and have successfully treated it using Whitespot Cure. Salt can be very dangerous for scaleless fish as they will tend to absorb it and lose water from their bodies. I'ts all diffusion baby!
-
HELP!! Clown loach with hole in the head!!
My command of the PC has been usurped! My wife is always online chatting (it was actually her who saw the post). I've been demoted to the DVD player!
-
HELP!! Clown loach with hole in the head!!
I read this on TM forum and thought I'd ask here for them: "fish disease - hole in the head I have tried treating it with melafix 6 or 7 times now and the holes are getting larger. Is there anyone out there who has successfully treated it. She is my clown loach and she is very old, as I have had her 22 years, and is about one foot long. She is still very happy and lively, but I have been trying to combat this since end of last year, and these last few weeks I have noticed a progression in the disease, even with the use of melafix. I wouuld appreciate any input at all. Thank you." link: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Community/MessageBoard/Messages.aspx?id=9692644&threadid=9692644 Any ideas? Cheers, Vapo
-
Cloudy water!
As long as most of the flow is coming out the proper way, I wouldn't worry too much. You'll still be getting filtration. You can guess at the amount of filtration by turning the filter down a little. When you get to the point where the water isn't flowing out the wrong way, look at the position of the flow control. If you've turned it down by half or more, you probably just need to get the gunk off the filter media. Use whatever method works. Is that a removable screen with the blue stuff stuck to it? I took that bit out of ours and added media from my other tank filter (ceramic noodles). Stopped the backflow. Cheers, Vapo
-
So many questions
I reckon fighters need lots of plants around them. We have one in a tank full of plants and one in a fairly bare tank (should be better soon with its improved lighting). The one in the plant tank seems much happier. Cheers, Vapo
-
You could have knocked me down with a feather!!!!!!!!!!!!
What about cutting a hole in the top and using an old video to house the lights? **edit** oops, only read the first page. Cheers, Vapo
-
Building a Fishroom
Will do man! Cheers, Vapo
-
Building a Fishroom
Nice dude. My wife is now giving me the evil-eye and repeating herself "No... No... Noooo!!" My mates are already asking me if all these fish are a sign of dementia. I say who needs 'em? I've got my fishy friends... mwuhahahahaaaa!!
-
Saltwater fishtanks for beginners???
The same seller also has this auction going http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/0004-3319-3326-3345-/auction-35681662.htm They obviously know very little about keeping fish. Very sad.
-
Siamese female with swollen gills? (pics)
Wicked!! If she lives through all of this, you'll probably have one hard (tough) fish on your hands. If you breed her after everything, you may end up with some very resilient betta babies! Just what we need in NZ. Keep us posted! Cheers, Vapo
-
Siamese female with swollen gills? (pics)
Hi Loopy, just wanted to know of any updates. Did she make it? Cheers, Vapo
-
pics work .. yeah ! .. meet " bob" skeleton in tan
Wicked!! Great job! Looks amazingly realistic. Do you have your own kilns?
-
Any Betta ideas
Excellent info Niloc. This is a site also has a lot of good info: http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/Betta,%20Breeding%20basics.htm Cheers, Vapo.
-
Siamese female with swollen gills? (pics)
I'd suggest dosing her more frequently. At least once per day, as otherwise the bacteria may just get more resistant to the AB's. Bacteria multiplies at an astounding rate (every few seconds) and will mutate to become immune to any treatment, as it is an amazingly adaptive lifeform. better to kill it fast. Salt baths may help, along with water changes before every treatment. Also, I read that Indian Almond leaves are very effective at preventing further infection/problems. It seems it helps to harden scales and is quite prevalent in their natural environment. Check this link http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/Betta,% ... Leaves.htm Cheers, Vapo.
-
Spray bar - PVC down pipe
Yep, our spray bar is just the hose from one of our vacuum siphons. Hooray for Kiwi ingenuity!!
-
white spot
Neons may like the temp around 22 C, but the clown loaches don't tolerate temps lower than 26 C well. IMO neons will be fine at most temps, our tank hangs around 27.5 C and our 9 neons are fine (spawning all the time). We have 6 neons in another tank at 26.5 C and they too are fine. I'd recommend keeping the temp up and putting an airstone in there. Also, I'd keep treating for at least two days after all signs of whitespot have vanished as the life-cycle at 28 C is around 48hrs. Our clown loaches handled full dosage for seven days (had 0.2% malachite green, 0.025% acriflavine, 0.02% quinine), BUT our anabantoids didn't. They started to get fungal infections, so if you have a spare tank that you could safely move your fighter to, it might be wise to do so. Just make sure the parameters are similar to his usual tank. When you do finally stop treatment keep the temp above 26 C or your clowns are likely to get ich again. **EDIT** I see you are using meth blue. I have no experience with this stuff so your fighter may be fine with that, especially if you are using 50% dosage. Good Luck Vapo.
-
Hello from Dunedin
Wow!!... Wow!!... Sounds fantastic!! The drain is an excellent idea! Would love that luxury, but we're renting. How's the project coming along? Love to see some pics. Cheers, Vapo
-
Almond Leaves
I found this http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/Betta,%20Indian%20Almond%20Leaves.htm They claim it works to harden scales, help ward off illness. Side-note: it also makes the betta more aggressive at breeding time and lowers pH. I wonder if it's good for all anabantoids? Cheers, Vapo.
-
Paradise Thugs
The goldfish will probably grow huge with a heater in there. Also, I'm told this will shorten their life span . Good luck with your injured fish. Vapo.
-
Plants: Plastic or live
No worries Lindyloo! Good to hear they like the lettuce, but I can't take credit for that advice as I read it on this forum a while ago. Forgot about the zuchinis! Good call diverJohn! Our pleco loves 'em!
-
Ozzy Fighters
Cheers, will definitely have to check them out, as the welly shops a pretty average. Vapo
-
Ozzy Fighters
Where is WetPets up our way Shae? I'd love to check 'em out!
-
Science project with eels
When you catch eels they shed loads of slime, so I would expect any holding tank to become extermely murky and unpleasant for the eel very quickly. Definitely need a fairly powerful pump/filter otherwise he might not be very happy in there and do a lot of water changes. Throw in a bunch of plants from the creek, don't worry if the water is muddy, just try to keep it as much like home as possible. Also you will need a very tight lid or mesh as has been suggested as eels are very strong and will push open a lid if it's not held on tight. How large of an eel are you talking about? And yes, I have lost eels when catching them by throwing them up onto the bank. They are wicked-fast and slither across 20m in a flash! What is the aim of your experiment? Have you looked on the net to see if anyone else has run any similar testing? Hope it's successful for you and you don't get bitten! Cheers, Vapo.