Where the money's at in our hobby

Celcuis

Hi aquarist 

(I don't know where to post this so I post it here):) 

I've been the hobby for 6 years with my dad and have had goldfish> Low tech planted> bit of Discus> Soft coral reef and now planted tanks again and hopefully getting into discus (on my own) in the near future...

throughout the years I've noticed that the hobby drains cash and its hard to even break even with the cost of running and maintaining aquariums...

in which part of the aquarium hobby do u guys think theirs money to be "gained"? 

Ive recently tried to grow plants and trade them with the lfs for almost free but ended up with a "No thanks" and I can't really notice a demand on trademe  for plants either but there is a good demand for plastic plants:) 

So what aspect do u guys think you can make some money (not a living) from in NZ ? Ie. Breeding "x" type of fish... Fragging "x" coral ect...

Friju do bred butter species really sell. I could set up a couple of tanks and start breeding. I'm kind is scared what if I end up with a load of fish because the lfs won't buy them you reckon they'll sell on trade me?

thats why I've stuck with fish and corals and never really gone into breeding...

In a previous life I used to breed 50000 tropical fish a year which were mainly sold to one wholesaler who had 125 outlets to sell to. I also used to grow and sell aquarium plants to most of the pet shops in Christchurch as well as on selling plants from other growers. Hamilton may be too small of a market if you wish to get serious. You may need to extend your market. You do need to grow mainly bread and butter lines to pay the bills and then branch out in to some of the more risky but financially rewarding lines. If you are lucky you may cover your costs but you will not retire on the proceeds. Also made aquariums for a few years. It can be fun but best not to give up the day job.

There is always a market for good coloured zooanthids, look on trademe for what sells quickly or for a good price.

Like any business it is about supply,demand, quality, availability and service, So buy quality stock to start with.

Java fern, anubias, crypts and swords always sell well

Worked in fish retail and 100% it is bread and butter species that are of interest. Namely because if they can guarantee supply, provide quality fish, and undercut importers it makes sense to them. Sure if you can breed zebra plecs you might sell some, but how many people are gonna drop four hundy on a pleco? Most people just want the normal affordable ones. Either establish a relationship with a retailer or send them to multiple stores...however, this is unlikely. Hobbyists who supply stores tend to do so on a personal basis with the owner from my experience.

Although I really like the idea of starting a frag tank buts it too expensive so I'll sell plants on trade me to at least pay for new plants and buy more plants and eventually set up a couple of bred butter breeding tanks so to start I'll put some of my crypt parva, Java fern  and crested Java fern in my window sill emersed set up...and later expand to Anubis if all goes well.

what price should I put the the plants mentioned for? and do u think they will sell?

Yea 

i just got done planting about 20 Java ferns and 15 crypt parvas in the window sill setup I'll try and sell the JavaS once their around 10cm tall right,now their 2-4cm and the parvas after they send out runners. once plants are ready I'll ask the two fish stores and animates in Hamilton 

I'm probbly not gonna start breeding untill later.

On 3/29/2017 at 10:30 PM, Celcuis said:

in which part of the aquarium hobby do u guys think theirs money to be "gained"? 

None, because it's a hobby, if you're trying to make money it's become a business.  Which then stops being fun.

IRA 

i just wanna make some extra cash to spend on aquariums  I don't want it to be a job or anything 

I can definetly see how you can take the fun out of the hobby by trying to make a living.

i want to expand on to other areas of the hobby 

If you can either grow enough harder to grow and obtain, plants, and breed enough fish to break even then you are doing well.  Trust me, I know.  If you wish to sell to shops you need to negotiate before you even start and for every $15 fish that is sold in the LFS you might get 10% of that price returned to you but it is likely to be store credit, not cash.  It's supply and demand and if you breed a species in bulk then you need an outlet to sell in bulk.  TradeMe does work but the cost to you per listing and sale is not cheap.

Yea 

For the initial price putting in what do u think might be more profitable fragging and selling zoanthids and other similer corals, emersed  plant grow out and propagation or breeding fish

because I want to expand on to other areas of out hobby whilst trying to break even or earn some money 

I am willing to commit 100% 

also I found a lots of thick tempered shelving glass in my garage I think I can make use of this...

thanks 

If you are going to do corals you will need to establish a good reputation within the smallish, dedicated,  group of marine keepers throughout the country.  From experience there are no fishkeepers as likely to kick up a stink as marine owners (note - I am one of them).  There are already at several people with great reputations who frag and sell through the facebook group and trademe, who sell at good prices compared to the shops so do your homework :)

In the fishkeeping community, reputation is everything.

NB tempered glass I believe can not be cut.

I decided 

I'm gonna do hard to get plants emerged and maybe breed a liveberrear depending on what selling in my area 

Could you post  a few plants that I can try to get a hold of? I know red tiger lotus is one ...

Thanks 

Doubt you will make much if anything on plants, the store I worked at never bought plants off random people, only actual suppliers. Tbh, I wouldn't bother trying to offset your fishkeeping costs by providing fish/plants to a store, better to just work more/offer a more valuable type of product.

Well i asked my fish store what they sold the most of in the nicest way and told him I don't want to sell him anything but replied  with "sorry I have my own suppliers" well now it's super awkward and I'm gonna have to buy my fish stuff from animates but Alg animates sell cheaper anyway. But I'll still give a shot at breeding a type of fish and continue with my hydroponic style grow bed. Since you guys have even worked at fish stores before could you guys tell me what fish sells. I will sell my stuff one trade me.

btw I don't want offset fish keeping costs just wanna try make a bit cash to put into the hobby