HELP!

Russelletino

I just saw something very wrong in the family aquarium, at first I saw one of the small comet goldfish looking like it had fin rot, then I looked closer and saw some white stuff on the tips of its tail and and some dark spots on its fins and body, the dark spots are a bit harder to see though, I looked at the other fish to see of something was wrong with them and I saw the bronze fantail with white stuff coming out of its right gill and on its right eye, on its fins, around its mouth and a little on its tail. I looked at the other fish and they seem to be fine. The tank is a 55L hexagon tank with 5 goldfish, 1 bronze fantail, 3 comets and 1 calico goldfish, I don't know what's wrong and am very worried. when I saw this, the filter wasn't on but the water was very clear  and clean. I turned the filter on and the bronze fantail seemed to be having a difficult time getting away from it, I also noticed that it had trouble keeping up right and swimming, please help Idk what's wrong with them

If the filter has been off for some time, and there is uneaten food in the tank, they may be suffering ammonia poisoning. Water can look clear & clean & still be toxic.

The pictures aren't clear enough to be able to tell what else may be wrong, anything from a parasite to bacterial infection could take hold if the fish are weakened by improper water conditions.

Have you tested the water yet?

Maybe show them the possibilities of what fish could thrive in the tank, not just survive.

Teach them a bit about a goldfish's requirements, hopefully they'll change their opinion.

I recommend re-homing the goldfish and either getting some small temperate fish, or go with some community tropicals. 

Minnows, Platies, Guppies, A single Betta, and Honey Gouramis all spring to mind as possible species for your tank size...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

sorry for the late reply but yes, I now have 2 tanks at about 20l each, the first tank is a planted tank with a homemade air pump filter, in it is a female betta, 3 neon tetras and 1 male and 1 female guppy, second tank has a 5cm goldfish (head to tip of tail) and 2 white cloud minnows. I also have a 9l tank with a paradise fish that was sold to me as a female but I believe to be a female