February 20, 20179 yr comment_570559 Sorry for old bump of the thread, but looking at getting some Geophagus Surinamensis which these look like if i am correct? They look really healthy , may I ask where did you purchase these from and what is your water/feeding/tank size etc like? Report
February 20, 20179 yr comment_570560 Oh yes, I've been looking forward to another update, hopefully they are much bigger now and showing lots more colour! Report
February 20, 20179 yr comment_570563 they are often on the importers lists. Redwood Aquatics has them as well. Report
February 20, 20179 yr comment_570565 14 hours ago, smile4guenta said: Sorry for old bump of the thread, but looking at getting some Geophagus Surinamensis which these look like if i am correct? They look really healthy , may I ask where did you purchase these from and what is your water/feeding/tank size etc like? A more accurate species name for these is Geophagus altifrons. So you should research that name. Note that they do become rather large when adult (25cm+) so tank size and especially footprint size is important. When mature they can become quite territorial toward other geos so have that in mind too. Awesome fish! Report
February 21, 20179 yr comment_570568 5 hours ago, hovmoller said: A more accurate species name for these is Geophagus altifrons. So you should research that name. Note that they do become rather large when adult (25cm+) so tank size and especially footprint size is important. When mature they can become quite territorial toward other geos so have that in mind too. Awesome fish! Hovmoller, have you bred Geophagus? If so any tips? Report
February 21, 20179 yr comment_570570 Yes I have. G. altifrons and G. steindachneri I currently have some G. sp "Orange Head" that I hope will also breed. They are quite easy to breed actually, just keep them in a properly sized tank with sand and treat them well and they will pair and breed happily when mature. Lots of info online on how to keep the different Geophagus species Report
February 22, 20179 yr comment_570574 Depends what species you are talking about. Again.. Google is your friend Report
February 22, 20179 yr comment_570576 On 2/21/2017 at 10:18 AM, hovmoller said: A more accurate species name for these is Geophagus altifrons. So you should research that name. Note that they do become rather large when adult (25cm+) so tank size and especially footprint size is important. When mature they can become quite territorial toward other geos so have that in mind too. Awesome fish! Thanks hovmoller for the info! had a good read about them. I currently have in make 400 Ltr tank that I am thinking will be home whilst juveniles , and within the year hoping for upwards of a 600ltr+ tank. also had a look at the Orange Head , may ask where did you get these? don't think I have seen any at LFS around Auckland. Report
February 23, 20179 yr comment_570582 The orange head were imported by Redwoods aquarium first shipment of these in NZ afaik. good plan with the tank size Report
March 9, 20179 yr Author comment_570701 Haven't been here for a while, Geos are growing well they are slowly getting more of the iridescent blue colouring and their fins are getting nice and long. I purchased mine from HFF Mt Roskil good quality fish haven't had and issues. I feed quite a variety of dry foods mainly sinking type, also frozen cichlid food and if they are around mosquito larvae (which they go mad for). I do slightly over feed them because they seem to sift constantly and food is always gone. Hovmoller, I think you were very lucky getting red/orange heads as I tried getting some after seeing yours, but apparently they aren't or weren't on the list. My tank is 480ltrs and I may have to thin numbers by a couple once they are full size. Report
March 13, 20179 yr Author comment_570730 This is the video from when I first got them it's funny looking back at how small they were. Report
March 24, 20179 yr comment_570778 If you are in auckland there are 3 or so shops that stock G. surimamensis, I am also setting up a tank at the moment for these fish. I am looking to put 8-10 fish in with some congo tetras and 6 juraparis! Anyone can help with best substrate to use for these fish. Report
March 25, 20179 yr Author comment_570782 11 hours ago, reggie1224 said: If you are in auckland there are 3 or so shops that stock G. surimamensis, I am also setting up a tank at the moment for these fish. I am looking to put 8-10 fish in with some congo tetras and 6 juraparis! Anyone can help with best substrate to use for these fish. Sand. I just got play sand from Mitre 10. You just have wash it and wash it again and then wash it again ha ha. Report
May 5, 20179 yr comment_571053 Wow they've grown up quite a bit. I bet they are even more beautiful in the flesh! Report
June 14, 20179 yr Author comment_571309 12 hours ago, livingart said: Love the Geos but hate bumblebees lol ? bumblebees aren't that bad, and she's a looker. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.