fish room

damiem

Hi guys I'm new here but it seems great so I thought I'd give it a try. Anyways I'm looking to setup a fish room but I'm only 13 so don't have all that much time and money. My mums bf will be getting me glass to build tanks. Need help with sizing and set up, auto water changes, filtration and yea. I'm looking to breed some angles a few tetra, danios, corys and a few others. Need help also with what other fish to breed since I'm new to breeding. Thanks in advance 

Welcome. My best suggestion is to have at least 3 tanks per breeding group/pair. So that's one for the parents, one for eggs/fry/rearing, and one for growing-on or similar. Especially if you have fish that produce 40 or more kids per brood/spawning, you will need way more room to rear them than you think you will.

Start small, and build up numbers of tanks over time as you get to know what works best for your own situation, is my second best suggestion! :D

Third suggestion - have fun.

Breed fish species that you like, because if you don't personally like them, then you won't bother with them so much.

Might be good to start with egg layers that actually look after their eggs/fry, then if you are at school when they lay them, the eggs won't all be eaten before you get home.

So Angel fish, maybe Bristlenose Ancistrus, I'm sure there are others but I don't really know which ones, so you might need to do a bit of research.

Killiefish might be good to try as well?

For spawning or raising?  IMO 50 litres will suffice for the actual spawning although others will say more.  Angel fish like a lot of water over their heads so the size of the tank will in part depend on the size of the pair you have- remembering angels can be over 15cm from fin tip - tip.

Discus are hard to keep and not recommended for a beginner, especially as you say the only fish you have bred are platies and I suspect you didn't specifically breed them, they just did it all by themselves requiring nothing specific by you. This is not to put you down, just saying you have jumped from an easily bred fish to one that is a lot more difficult with specific requirements.

You seem to be going all over the place in your ideas for fish to breed. I suggest you sit down, decide exactly what fish (1 species) you would like to try first, then research to find out what conditions are required to be successful and if you are able to supply those conditions, or able to buy the fish for that matter.

You say you are short of time and money so your fish selection should keep this in mind. Discus will take more time as they require excellent water conditions all the time and plenty of water changes too. Good discus are not cheap and, if you want to breed fish, you should choose the best you can find, not the cheapest.

I know when you first start you get all excited and enthusiastic but if you jump in over your head, things will not go to plan and you will get disillusioned and give up and we don't want that. We want you to enjoy the hobby for years to come!

Something that is cheap to do, and easy since you live in Auckland with more constant higher summer temperatures, is to breed semi-tropical fish, like barbs, in a hard sided kiddie's swimming pool. I used to buy 6ft diameter ones from The Warehouse ($24.99 last time I bought one a few years ago) and set them up outside (in summer only as it is colder here in winter than where you are). Fill the pool with water and get a pile of oxygen weed from a local waterway somewhere (free). Add bunches to the pool and anchor each bunch with a rock. Once the temperature has warmed and stabilised at a minimum of 18C overnight, add the barbs and leave them to it. I have bred golden and Odessa and ruby barbs this way (not all at the same time in the same pool of course!)

I don't want to put you off, and it is good to see such enthusiasm, but step back and have a good think about what you want to do and what is required to do it, then RESEARCH before doing anything else. Continue to ask questions here by all means but read books, search for information and consider joining the local fish club if there is one near you.

Good luck B|

If you have a pair that would be perfect.  They are anabantoids so give that a google and research the breeding of them, feeding of fry and raising them.  JJWooble on here has her Honey Gourami Breeding so if you look under the breeding section and make contact with her she can help you on the finer points of Honey Gourami.  I would also imagine that they would be a fish that is easy to sell as not many people seem to breed them.

NB bubble nests don't mean you have a pair - it does mean that you have a male though.

Edited by Adrienne

How do you guys recommend I should heat all the tanks. I'm going to have 4 40 breeders, 6 60cm-30cm-30cm tanks all on one rack and then I'm going to have 4ft-2ft-2ft show tank and a tank the same size underneath it to hold the water for the auto water change ??

Thanks everyone for the help