fish room

damiem

I have used a large air compressor and foam filters to run my rooms, I think it is the most cost effective way to filter tank and you can adjust the amount with taps depending on what type of fish you are keeping.

Heating the room can be effective, but makes it hard to work in there for to long, I would suggest heating your tanks if you are not going to insulate your garage.
A dehumidifier would also be a key/essential piece of equipment IMO. 

Good luck, I look forward to seeing your set up progress.

I would second what Cam says re air compressor or pump and foam filters. It is cheaper from the point of view of electricity costs, and has minimal moving parts to go wrong or to need replacing. Anything that keeps the electricity costs (and the 'loading' on whatever type of electrical supply you have in your garage) is going to be a good thing. Especially when the electricity bill arrives and someone else has to pay it!

I run 10 tanks in an otherwise unheated garage, and even with lots of polystyrene sheet insulation it has still increased our power costs by a quarter, or more. I'm looking into dividing off my 'bit' of the garage with a low-cost, lightweight wooden framework 'double-glazed' with plastic sheeting for next winter in an effort to conserve the heat. Something worth considering when you decide where to site your tanks, perhaps.

Breeding fish isn't usually difficult. Raising the resulting fry to adulthood is the hard part.

You need to define how much space you have for tanks, how hot and cold it gets over 12 months, what sized tanks you can build and whether you can afford the resulting equipment required to service them (insulation, heating, filtration etc). Once you have determined you can afford the ongoing costs, then you need to look at what sized tanks you will have, and how many, then decide what sort of fish you will try to breed.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, firstly welcome to the breeding game :P 

I'd say the same as more experienced breeders on here have said which is to start small-- discus require big frequent water changes and are expensive as already said on here to get decent ones-- get the less decent ones and you won't move the babies on particularly easily. 

Thirdly,  if you're worried about time - -  the hard part isn't usually getting the fish to breed,  it's raising the fry. This is sometimes a few months of feeding twice a day on (for some species) live food such as brine shrimp which in itself requires being set up every twelve hrs or something equally finicky. Then there's doing daily water changes,  and eventually trying to find homes for the fish.

I see you were interested in breeding dwarf honeys-- I have found them to be really rewarding and easy to breed and would suggest them as a really good start and as popular fish that are quite easy to move on once they've reached full size. I've successfully raised two lots so far in a 30 litre with 25% daily water changes and twice daily feedings of the liquid fry food you can buy in hff,  then moving them onto Hikari first bites once big enough,  which saves time in terms of feeding live food but you'd probably get better numbers surviving if you start them off at least with the first week on baby brine shrimp. If you want any more advice on this feel free to ask me :) 

Whatever you choose to breed,  good luck and don't burn yourself out on the harder species of fish too early on :) 

Edit: just realized you were the one enquiring via pm about my angelfish I have for sale-- sorry I've been on holiday,  will respond soon as I can! 

Edited by JJWooble