June 19, 201511 yr comment_561893 Who else bought some from the latest shipment? I'm interested to see how they progress. I released my group of six into the big tank yesterday after nearly two weeks in quarantine, a touch of whitespot and some damaged fins healed up quickly. They are still very dark though, active and eating eagerly, but darker than any other young uaru I've kept (which I added up to be 20 individual fish, four separate groups over the past fifteen years!). I''ll try take some pictures once they've settled in. Report
June 19, 201511 yr comment_561900 I also got 6 Uaru but unlike David I have never kept them before so really looking forward to watching them grow. I got them from Hollywoods just after they had arrived from the supplier and I agreed to take them while still in suppliers bags. They were packed one fish pr bag but quite small bags I reckon. They were definitely not very happy in their bags. They were completely black, lying still on the bottom of the bag and some with fin damage. One of mine completely lost its tail in the first day but is now recovering nicely. My guess is that they suffered some degree of ammonia poisoning/burn due to the small bags and overnight shipping. It didn't take them long though to settle in to my quarantine tank. They are extremely active and eating like pigs! They now come flying out to the glass when I enter the room. Mine also came with a bunch of white spot that I am now treating with Wunder Tonic combined with temp. at 30 degrees. Looks like they are good quality fish and let me once again express my delight that someone out there actually imported them. Report
June 20, 201511 yr Author comment_561910 Hopefully there are others here who bought some. Levon said they were shipping eight off to someone in Wellington. I noticed the first hint of colour in the eyes of one of mine today, at this stage I'd pick they're the orange eyed form, not the red. Either way, I'm just happy to have some again! Report
June 21, 201511 yr comment_561975 I also grabbed two from hff albany and they seemed fine in the tank, not damaged fins or anything but when i got them home the got white spot but have recoved and are eating very well, any suggestions on foods? at the moment they are eating fluval cichlid pelllets 1mm Report
June 22, 201511 yr comment_561994 Any pics yet? not really any point, as david said they are still quite young and quite dark in colour. Report
June 22, 201511 yr Author comment_561995 No pics yet, will let them settle in first. As for food, stuff that isn't super high in protein and has lots of vege matter is ideal. NLS is great (no they don't pay me to keep saying that!), and in the past I've fed spirulina flake and cos lettuce to them too. Report
June 23, 201511 yr comment_562008 No pics yet, will let them settle in first. As for food, stuff that isn't super high in protein and has lots of vege matter is ideal. NLS is great (no they don't pay me to keep saying that!), and in the past I've fed spirulina flake and cos lettuce to them too. is it key that you dont feed them to much meat protein? Report
June 23, 201511 yr Author comment_562010 They're are more at the green end of omnivorous so plenty of veges, the protein isn't too bad but don't feed lots of meaty stuff, even though they'll scoff it down. Report
June 24, 201511 yr comment_562036 Got mine yesterday, after several weeks of being treated at HFF Mt Roskill for some ich and fin damage. All seems okay now, initially were quite shy and looking gloomy and sulky when put into the QT tank; even thought one was dead/dying due to being lying horizontally, motionless. After leaving alone for a few hours things changed, they are now all actively swimming around and eating as well. Most are dark-colored, a couple might be lightly colored but that maybe just the lighting. Some have easily visible spots (not whitespots). Have not kept this before so we'll see how it goes, hopefully well. Report
June 24, 201511 yr comment_562040 You are all making me jealous, a shame they are plant munchers as they would fit in nicely in my SA tank. Report
July 3, 201511 yr Author comment_562331 Just got home from two weeks away and the young uaru are looking good! Got the slightly spotty semi-adult colours, eye colouring up nicely, eating well, fins all healed. Water change tomorrow, might bust out the camera on Sunday! Report
July 3, 201511 yr comment_562333 the young uaru are looking good! Got the slightly spotty semi-adult colours, eye colouring up nicely, eating well, fins all healed +1 :nfs: Mine has started gnawing on a big piece of wood and replaced a layer of brown algae with thousands of tiny bite marks. cute! I suppose this is natural behaviour Report
July 4, 201511 yr Author comment_562335 Yep,better than any pleco for cleaning wood, and the bit marks only get more noticeable as they grow! Report
July 16, 201511 yr Author comment_562488 Hehe they're pretty fast alright, especially in a good sized tank with plenty of food. Smaller mouths, but they nearly rival the Oscars pig-like status at feeding time IME. Report
July 16, 201511 yr comment_562497 Come on guys - you can't have a discussion without giving us photos to look at Report
July 16, 201511 yr comment_562498 Come on guys - you can't have a discussion without giving us photos to look at :iag: Stop teasing us and post some pics! :thup: Report
July 19, 201511 yr comment_562555 After about 6 weeks in a quarantine tank, I finally moved them into what will be their grow-out tank. Current tankmates include several eartheaters (Steindachneri and Brasiliensis), as well as a trio of Silver Dollars. This group is mainly fed with Omega One and Fluval veggie flakes 3-4 times/day, with NLS Thera-A+ once a day and some frozen mysis a couple of times (as treat). Here are some pics in their QT tank: Report
July 20, 201511 yr Author comment_562582 Yeah still no pics of mine sorry, two more weeks of working away then I'm home and you might get lucky! They're growing like weeds now, first fish to attack the Repashy food I got from KrazyGeoff. aldrichdg, I give that lovely piece of java fern two months tops.... :sml1: Report
July 20, 201511 yr comment_562588 Yeah still no pics of mine sorry, two more weeks of working away then I'm home and you might get lucky! They're growing like weeds now, first fish to attack the Repashy food I got from KrazyGeoff. aldrichdg, I give that lovely piece of java fern two months tops.... :sml1: Thanks David. That fern is just for the photo-op. Tank is barren at the moment; still soaking some driftwood and some rocks. Report
August 6, 201511 yr comment_562931 Figured you guys might like to see my pair, around 3 years old. Love these guys. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.