Uaru

David R

Who else bought some from the latest shipment? I'm interested to see how they progress.

I released my group of six into the big tank yesterday after nearly two weeks in quarantine, a touch of whitespot and some damaged fins healed up quickly. They are still very dark though, active and eating eagerly, but darker than any other young uaru I've kept (which I added up to be 20 individual fish, four separate groups over the past fifteen years!).

I''ll try take some pictures once they've settled in.

I also got 6 Uaru but unlike David I have never kept them before so really looking forward to watching them grow.

I got them from Hollywoods just after they had arrived from the supplier and I agreed to take them while still in suppliers bags. They were packed one fish pr bag but quite small bags I reckon.

They were definitely not very happy in their bags. They were completely black, lying still on the bottom of the bag and some with fin damage. One of mine completely lost its tail in the first day but is now recovering nicely.

My guess is that they suffered some degree of ammonia poisoning/burn due to the small bags and overnight shipping.

It didn't take them long though to settle in to my quarantine tank. They are extremely active and eating like pigs! They now come flying out to the glass when I enter the room.

Mine also came with a bunch of white spot that I am now treating with Wunder Tonic combined with temp. at 30 degrees.

Looks like they are good quality fish and let me once again express my delight that someone out there actually imported them.

Hopefully there are others here who bought some. Levon said they were shipping eight off to someone in Wellington.

I noticed the first hint of colour in the eyes of one of mine today, at this stage I'd pick they're the orange eyed form, not the red. Either way, I'm just happy to have some again!

No pics yet, will let them settle in first.

As for food, stuff that isn't super high in protein and has lots of vege matter is ideal. NLS is great (no they don't pay me to keep saying that!), and in the past I've fed spirulina flake and cos lettuce to them too.

No pics yet, will let them settle in first.

As for food, stuff that isn't super high in protein and has lots of vege matter is ideal. NLS is great (no they don't pay me to keep saying that!), and in the past I've fed spirulina flake and cos lettuce to them too.

is it key that you dont feed them to much meat protein?

Got mine yesterday, after several weeks of being treated at HFF Mt Roskill for some ich and fin damage.

All seems okay now, initially were quite shy and looking gloomy and sulky when put into the QT tank; even thought one was dead/dying due to being lying horizontally, motionless.

After leaving alone for a few hours things changed, they are now all actively swimming around and eating as well.

Most are dark-colored, a couple might be lightly colored but that maybe just the lighting. Some have easily visible spots (not whitespots).

Have not kept this before so we'll see how it goes, hopefully well.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got home from two weeks away and the young uaru are looking good! Got the slightly spotty semi-adult colours, eye colouring up nicely, eating well, fins all healed. Water change tomorrow, might bust out the camera on Sunday!

the young uaru are looking good! Got the slightly spotty semi-adult colours, eye colouring up nicely, eating well, fins all healed

+1 :nfs:

Mine has started gnawing on a big piece of wood and replaced a layer of brown algae with thousands of tiny bite marks. cute!

I suppose this is natural behaviour

• 2 weeks later...

After about 6 weeks in a quarantine tank, I finally moved them into what will be their grow-out tank. Current tankmates include several eartheaters (Steindachneri and Brasiliensis), as well as a trio of Silver Dollars. This group is mainly fed with Omega One and Fluval veggie flakes 3-4 times/day, with NLS Thera-A+ once a day and some frozen mysis a couple of times (as treat).

Here are some pics in their QT tank:

20150719_142806_zps5hjgvyma.jpg

20150719_142702_zpsik4d8qvp.jpg

20150719_142649_zps05yltsgs.jpg

Yeah still no pics of mine sorry, two more weeks of working away then I'm home and you might get lucky! They're growing like weeds now, first fish to attack the Repashy food I got from KrazyGeoff.

aldrichdg, I give that lovely piece of java fern two months tops.... :sml1:

Yeah still no pics of mine sorry, two more weeks of working away then I'm home and you might get lucky! They're growing like weeds now, first fish to attack the Repashy food I got from KrazyGeoff.

aldrichdg, I give that lovely piece of java fern two months tops.... :sml1:

Thanks David.

That fern is just for the photo-op. Tank is barren at the moment; still soaking some driftwood and some rocks.

• 3 weeks later...