Are tattooed fish legal here?

Godly3vil

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What disturbed me was not anything that I saw the guys do (okay, provoking a puffer fish or lifting a tang out of the water is lame- I don’t care who you are). It was what they did NOT appear to do. It’s the way their work was portrayed by the producers and editors. When the show portrays a complicated tank build being done in what appears to be a matter of hours, and then being filled with tap water, salt mix and…in one instance, ice cubes , then stocked to the max with crazy assortment of fishes right away, I have to wonder. Were the producers trying to raise the blood pressure for every serious aquarium hobbyist in the world?

What responsible aquarist fills an aquarium with tap water, mixes the salt, then throws the fishes right in? Yikes! I’d love to see the stats on how many of those fishes actually made it through the first week. This “practice” is even more amazing when you think about these systems having very little in the way of visible biological support (no live rock or live sand).

So, to summarize. Really talented aquarium fabricators. Annoying clients. Staged hilarity and hijinx. Little emphesis on technique. Producers and editors portrayed the guys as a bit too much into “the big idea” and not enough into the art of aquaristics. Missed opportunities. “Tanked”, ahem- tanked.

Yes it appeared as if they don't do certin things and that they use tap water (they don't ) and its bad they give a bad impression on how to set up a tank but that's just how it's edited down they do care about the fish

Yes it appeared as if they don't do certin things and that they use tap water (they don't ) and its bad they give a bad impression on how to set up a tank but that's just how it's edited down they do care about the fish

How do you know they don't use tap water or care about the fish?

You're walking in the woods.

There's no one around,

And your phone is dead.

Out of the corner of your eye you spot them,

Discus and Axolotls.

Running for your life

(They're Discus and Axolotls.)

They're brandishing a knife.

Lurking in the shadows

Tanked superstars Discus and Axolotls.

Living in the woods,

Killing for sport,

Eating all the bodies

Actual, really grouchy Discus and Axolotls.

If I'm repetitive enough, my point might start to make sense

If they really cared about the fish, they'd do a moment of "This is really important, kids!", and diagram out the cycle in the space of about a minute or less. It's not that hard to block out basic understand of concepts.

Instead, they drum up the stress of setting up a tank in a very hurried manner, even blaming the fish sitting out as a cause of drama. Don't blame the editing, if they really cared, they'd have a say about it and make sure the important info was shared and noted.

They can't control what's edited down and I know they don't use tap water because it shows them using natural sea water

A lot cheaper and easier than buying aquarium salt and mixing it themselves, and what about freshwater aquariums? Or do they only do salt water ones?

the ONE show I saw of tanked was a freshwater tank and they pretty much filled it up with a hose and then added a crazy load of fish to the tank.. incompatible and overstocked.. no acclimatisation- just released them straight into the tank....I was like what the ! and I decided never to watch another episode.I was horrified to be honest.

Its entertainment for sure and nothing more. Plus the tanks were tacky in my opinion.

I saw no real evidence that they had considered the long term welfare of any of the fish. You simply cannot overstock a new tank and expect there to be no problems form stress and ammonia spikes etc.

They can't control what's edited down and I know they don't use tap water because it shows them using natural sea water

Water from the ocean increases the risk of introducing pathogens and pollution - I believe RO is typically recommended for this reason.

It's for TV and its fish, who cares.

Perhaps they overstock the tank just for the unveiling on TV, perhaps they educate the clients behind the scenes. Perhaps they themselves have no say over the production of the show.

perhaps is just TV and any adult that can turn a computer on must know that everything on TV is scripted. Why the hell would they waste 10 minutes of the show educating people who aren't clients on how to keep fish, they would loose their audience because people just want to see fish and crazy tanks.

If it was animal abuse it wouldn't last long animal planet and if all their fish died in the tanks they set up then they would have a bad rep and go out of business, not be one of the top tank manufacturers in the world.

There is nothing worse than fake plants and fake coral with shoes and hamburgers in the tank for sure. But if that's what people like ( and they do ) then that's what they are going to put out on TV.

You think that the X factor judges aren't payed to argue and create drama? It is not their job to educate people, it is their job to create content and get paid.

http://www.mrsaltwatertank.com/mr-saltwater-tank-interviews-brett-raymer-star-of-animal-planets-tanked/

http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/articles/tanked-an-aquarium-reality-tv-show-full-article.htm

Thanks bishop and to you others I told you so :smln:

wow. you in primary school?

at the end of the day, the show gives a bad impression. While their main focus is creating an entertainment show and making money, a little "INFOtainment" wouldn't go amiss on such an important aspect as fishcare and setting things up right to minimise fish losses. But they are more about the big reveal and having a dazzling looking tank for people to go wow over.

Still not impressed and there's bound to be many fish losses because of the $ vs welfare.

A little googling gives mixed opinions.. there are stories out there about the low survival rates and some disastrous results , I hope they have learned and are being more responsible.

From what I viewed, and what I've read, there's enough doubt in my mind that I don't want to support the show by watching it again.

If you enjoy it, then go for it, just remember its a dramatized entertainment reality show. Probably highly scripted and staged, with ill conceived stocking concepts and fish mixes that would never work in the real world. I can only hope that after the camera stops rolling,they take some of those poor fish out and put them back into established tanks while the clients new tank stabilizes and matures ready for all the new additions.

"Wayde says, “We make sure any of the fish that we’re going to get are eating and are in good shape and condition. Reality TV is reality TV; most of the time everything looks like it’s done overnight.

We don’t want people to think that it’s being done overnight—people need to understand that all the builds and everything that we do, they don’t happen instantaneously; it takes time.

We do whatever we can to ensure the proper environment for the fish, whether it be food, feeding, so forth and so on.”"

Seems to me like a whole lot of people don't quite understand that watching fish acclimate isn't entertaining enough for a reality tv series.

If everyone bothered to do their own research on the show, you'd find that they actually do get their clients to employ a fishkeeper for maintenance.

Now, if their client so choses not to....... that's hardly their fault is it?

I mean hell, you don't go blaming HFF when someone new arrives here asking why their 20 incompatible fish died in the first week.....do you ?

I mean, that's the customers responsibility to research right?

There are two sides to any argument, just because there are two people that agree doesn't make their side right.

The reverse is also true. Just because you believe you are right doesn't make it so. The argument here is that you have seen it on TV ( or not seen it ) so it must be true.

at the end of the day, the show gives a bad impression. While their main focus is creating an entertainment show and making money, a little "INFOtainment" wouldn't go amiss on such an important aspect as fishcare and setting things up right to minimise fish losses. But they are more about the big reveal and having a dazzling looking tank for people to go wow over.

Welcome to corporate America. Name a reality show that isn't manipulated to gain the best amount of followers for that target market.

I agree with you for what it's worth but that's an opinion at the end of the day and based on personal preference rather than factual evidence .

The show does give a bad impression but only to those that are educated enough to tell the difference or those of us that know experience rules over whatever animates will tell you. So the only people running round having a fit about what the men on TV do is us. Those that don't know get introduced to the hobby and then their education begins. And if it comes up in conversation you can educate all your friends and explain to them just how the nitrate cycle works. I guarantee that your audience will drop because nobody actually gives a s*&t

If you enjoy it, then go for it, just remember its a dramatized entertainment reality show. Probably highly scripted and staged.

That argument goes both ways. What you see or do not see is not the exact truth. You can't complain about it because you just don't know based on watching the show and hearsay alone.

With ill conceived stocking concepts and fish mixes that would never work in the real world. .

Can you prove this? I mean can you say that the stocking isn't just for TV or that their filtration systems and maintenance schedule can't support that? Because I have briefly looked around and all I can find is other forums complaining like this one is and I can't find anything factual at all. I would be keen to find that info before I made an opinion.

Thanks bishop and to you others I told you so

I wouldn't be too hasty mate you have real evidence either. You are making the opposite argument based on the same evidence. Which is none.

All I have seen of you on this forum is you being mocked by the community that look down on others from their high horses ( which you seem to be oblivious too ). Regardless of their attitude I support anybody in this hobby regardless of education. So I will give you the same advice that was given to me many years ago...

If you write or act like you don't care then nobody will care what you write, take the time to learn some basic grammar and peoples attitude towards you will change. Better to get looked down on because you used the incorrect contraction once in a while than just looked down on.

Are all the Mod's on holiday? Please split this thread into two because I honestly would like to know the answer to the initial question without going trough 5 pages of pro & contra about a #$@&%*! american TV Show.

Thank you,

JaSa

This thread was started by Godly3vil and as he has been contributing to the change in topic there has been no need to split the thread.

I have been searching but can find no mention of them being legal or otherwise in NZ but suspect they have not been brought in because they know many would kick up a stink about it.