MPI FEES

reef

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The prices are ridiculous fish already cost a lot and with prices that hi exporters will propley just stop bringing in rare and unusual fish as the maket for these is already slow

Some importers will have to close.

All the fees can be passed on to hobbyist, however the hobby has been in recession for 3 years or more, so it will see less people getting into the hobby.

Big issue is that the hobby can never grow as we can't bring in more fish as we have a limited allowable list so costs can never be kept at a reasonable price.

The price range for importing fish being proposed is between 105% to around 400% or more.

The price range for importing fish being proposed is between 105% to around 400% or more.

Can you supply how you have worked out the increases as that is excessive charging by MPI and will cripple the hobby, we are looking to put a submission together but from the fact in the provided MPI link we come up with lesser percentages.

Travel

Current we get charged based on distance from MPI office,

So for example currently the charge is $88 per return trip.

So for a shipment it is $166 plus gst a month, as you have two visits for marine fish.

Under proposed fee it will be time/mileage, as they class the vets are professional vets.

So new monthly fee will be $186/hr plus. 77c per km.

So travel for example could be 3hr x $186, ( based on 25km x 4, return trip)

$558 plus $77 so monthly fee is $635plus gst.

Increase over 350%

Fish checking fee

so say currently is 8 hours a month.

so 8 x $88, /hr = $704 plus gst,

proposed will be 105% increase. so $1443 per month.

so total cost for example will be

$1443

$635

total $2078 a month just for MPI.

All thsi for no added value/service.

Fees will vary depending on QT size and location.

This does not include any shipments outside normal hours.

Issue is fish are checked by vets, so mpi has to pay higher wages. many years ago fish checked by standard border staff, why the need for vets?? not many other country use vets.

Issue also is that the hobby will never grow as we can't import more fish due to restricted list, we can't add more fish to the allowable list, if we could get approval from erma, biosecurity can take 5 years to add fish to allowable list,

so basically the hobby is trapped, it cant grow and is bogged down with compliance and long 3/4 week QT.

other issue to look at.

why 3 week qt and 4 week qt?? no other country has this long.

Why do vets need to check fish? big expense.

Compliance has caused time it takes to check fish by vets, this is due to biosecurity requirements, needs to be looked at taking costs into account.

Its a monopoly we cant't go anywhere else.

I believe tax payers should pay for some of it, as the requirements are set by biosecurity. whilst it costs, some money is recovered anyway by GST, creating jobs for bio security staff who pay tax,

Industry is in recession, how will these extreme increases help

I personally feel that this is an issue which needs to be led by the people with a commercial stake in the hobby, the general consensus seems to be from hobbyists I have discussed it with that the price increase isn't a huge deal to them and is certainly not enough to put them off the hobby.

Yes, the FNZAS Executive is looking at this. Clubs have not responded, members spoken to see no problem and some in fact welcome the proposed changes. Despite a number of enquiries we have made to importers, wholesalers and shops, we have received no feedback indicating that a submission is worth sending in.

We have asked to see invoices so we can see how charges were applied previously - nothing has been forthcoming.

We have seen documentation on how the proposed charges are to be applied.

As an organisation with a good relationship with MPI unless we receive substantial documented evidence which leaves us no doubt as to a detrimental effect on the hobby, and from a number of those we have spoken to, then it is unlikely we will be doing anything.

We are a small pawn in the game, we do represent our members but I also suggest that the importers, wholesalers and shops get their act together and put in their own submissions. We are not here to represent them.

Unfortunately I was unable to make the meetings - does anyone have a general overview on whether there are any significant effects on importation of Food/Medications (via AVCM registration) and other goods that require registration? It appears the proposed Vet fees have a big impact on importation of livestock but I couldn't find any major issues when skimming for other goods (but may have missed something).

We have asked to see invoices so we can see how charges were applied previously - nothing has been forthcoming.

The information is already been provided in this forum. you don't need invoices.

also you have been given the before price and likely after,

I believe fresh water prices will increase by 10/15%.based on info provided by a large freshwater importer.

So this is the price increase for now from MPI , what about in a few years, likely more price increases and more compliance.

Travel

Current we get charged based on distance from MPI office,

So for example currently the charge is $88 per return trip.

So for a shipment it is $166 plus gst a month, as you have two visits for marine fish.

Under proposed fee it will be time/mileage, as they class the vets are professional vets.

So new monthly fee will be $186/hr plus. 77c per km.

So travel for example could be 3hr x $186, ( based on 25km x 4, return trip)

$558 plus $77 so monthly fee is $635plus gst.

Increase over 350%

Fish checking fee

so say currently is 8 hours a month.

so 8 x $88, /hr = $704 plus gst,

proposed will be 105% increase. so $1443 per month.

so total cost for example will be

$1443

$635

total $2078 a month just for MPI.

All thsi for no added value/service.

Fees will vary depending on QT size and location.

This does not include any shipments outside normal hours.

Issue is fish are checked by vets, so mpi has to pay higher wages. many years ago fish checked by standard border staff, why the need for vets?? not many other country use vets.

Issue also is that the hobby will never grow as we can't import more fish due to restricted list, we can't add more fish to the allowable list, if we could get approval from erma, biosecurity can take 5 years to add fish to allowable list,

so basically the hobby is trapped, it cant grow and is bogged down with compliance and long 3/4 week QT.

other issue to look at.

why 3 week qt and 4 week qt?? no other country has this long.

Why do vets need to check fish? big expense.

Compliance has caused time it takes to check fish by vets, this is due to biosecurity requirements, needs to be looked at taking costs into account.

Its a monopoly we cant't go anywhere else.

I believe tax payers should pay for some of it, as the requirements are set by biosecurity. whilst it costs, some money is recovered anyway by GST, creating jobs for bio security staff who pay tax,

Industry is in recession, how will these extreme increases help

Yellow tang $300- Yellow Tangs $199.90

Banggai Cardinalfish $135

Blue-Sided Fairywrasse Male $130

Coral beauty $180- Coral Beauty $110.00

Decorated fire fish $140 - Fire Goby $99.90

Clown fish $130

Jawelled Blenny $120- Lawnmower Blenny $79.90

Bubble coral $150- Green Bubble Coral $129.90

Torch coral $190- Torch Coral $139.90

Blue mushrooms $160-Blue Mushrooms - Discosoma sp. $139.90

Catalaphyllia jardinei $210 - Catalaphyllia $179.90

Cleaner shrimp $130

Note prices can vary depending what size/supplier etc.

I personally feel that this is an issue which needs to be led by the people with a commercial stake in the hobby,

Not really, its the same few commercial operators that have been doing it for the last 10 years, everyone else needs to step up and take a interest.

Unfortunately I was unable to make the meetings - does anyone have a general overview on whether there are any significant effects on importation of Food/Medications (via AVCM registration) and other goods that require registration? It appears the proposed Vet fees have a big impact on importation of livestock but I couldn't find any major issues when skimming for other goods (but may have missed something).

Yes there will be price increases for medication/ fish foods etc. They also want to charge for time spent on inquiries,

So if a staff at MPI/Biosecurity says you can't import something and you disagree and want to speak to some else they will charge you $102/Hr

Yes there will be price increases for medication/ fish foods etc. They also want to charge for time spent on inquiries,

So if a staff at MPI/Biosecurity says you can't import something and you disagree and want to speak to some else they will charge you $102/Hr

I was under the impression that they did this already?

I was under the impression that they did this already?

No, but depends what it is about,

Most of the front line staff at mpi/biosecurity are not very experienced, so if you disagree with something you can talk to someone in biosecurity in wellington which does not cost,. but they want to charge for it under new proposal.

Also i found out that all the Biosecurity fees are paid mostly by importers, 70%, 30% is only paid by tax payers currently.

Also no personal tourist that comes in the country pays for any of the bio security fees. its all paid by the tax payers.

The question is why?? i think tourist should pay for it, why should we taxpayers pay for tourist.

We are a small pawn in the game, we do represent our members but I also suggest that the importers, wholesalers and shops get their act together and put in their own submissions. We are not here to represent them

Really?

Fact is everyone is a small pawn in the hobby. But if everyone did something it would make a difference.

We have too many free loaders, most commercial importers /shops don't get paid for making submissions , they are also volunteers and do it for the hobby.

30 submissions is better than the two/three that is made most of the time.

Inspections are done by vet at QT facility on arrival and on release,

Inspections are done by vets, and have for about 7 years, used to be done by border staff before that.

All live animals are checked by vets for health sign off, But they can't do health sign off for fish as they are not qualified and its hard to tell if a fish is carrying a diseases or not.