MPI FEES

reef

1/you don't need a expert, could be a admin person who gets paid $40/hr, to check the fish number /invoices etc.

will be big cost saving for mpi and tax payers.

You bring up a very good point as many years ago fish did not get checked by vets, so due to mpi/biosecurity choosing to use this expensive channel should pay for it.

But if they choose to use vets thats fine, MPI/tax payers covers the cost.

Plus its not a large part of what mpi do, so time checking fish etc, is not that costly in the big picture for tax payers.

2/Random checks, no need to check every shipment. sea containers don't get all checked.

3/ or just check arrival shipments and do random release checks after QT.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What they need is people who know about fish to do the inspections, they have the resources to identify diseases or fish.

You're thinking of MPI. Like MPI inspectors... IE the same people that do the exact some thing you said every day at every wharf and international airfield. And get paid pretty average wages to do it.

Yeah, um, so my dad was a inspector. Trust me when I say that they have plenty of people with a lot of knowledge about fish too. And reptiles, and birds, and anything else you can think of that people try to bring in.

What I mean is, I think MPI definitely have the resources (and the right people) to be able inspect the fish themselves. And already on their payroll.

That is what I mean. Who do you think released the genetically modified zebra danios or the kuhli loaches that were baby Asian eels. I have imported and had inspections carried out by those people and I can confirm that they did not know what they were looking for. In my case the took away perfectly healthy fish and destroyed them but would not take the diseased fish that had piscine TB because some idiot had mixed up the fish for testing. They were very skilled and well trained at normal border control work but admitted that they new nothing about fish. That is probably why they are now inspected by vets that are very good with horses. Their experts on diseases and fish identification were away in a laboratory somewhere else.

At the moment the big costs seem to be getting fish tested for diseases. I have heard of fees in the order of $4000 for one fish. My point is that MPI need to have people that are aware of fish. They don't need to be experts at fish diseases or identifying fish as those people are already available to MPI. They need to have enough general knowledge to be able to tell a carp from a goldfish, that a genetically modified zebra danio that glows in black light is in fact genetically modified, that the faeces hanging from a fish is not cancer and that a kuhli loach with no barbels is not a loach. To know some of the signs of piscine tuberculosis would be handy as well since it is zoonotic. These are expert people but not trained to inspect fish and I would compare them somewhat to trying to find a vet in NZ that really knows about reptiles. I don't blame the staff, but the accountants for getting them to do jobs they are not trained adequately for, and for saving money by not training them. The reality is that in the end it will not save money but it will take a bloody great disaster before the powers that be wake up. What is new in the greatest wee country on the planet?

Some in the tropical fish sector have already asked for a extension to the submission date and also put the ball in the MPI court and ask them to How does this proposal affect our sector specifically? and how do they justify the costs increases especially given the hobby has been in recession.

There are so many fees that effect importers and it is not just one fee. overall some of the fees have increased by over 350%

Additional charge when recalled to duty for the

purpose of carrying out an activity on a public

holiday

$199.11 per day Person responsible for

paying for the costs of

the activity.

- General inspectors and biosecurity

advisors - $222.28 per day for each

inspector or biosecurity advisor

involved

- Veterinary inspectors - $845.13 for

each inspector involved

The biggest change

How often could the veterinary inspector be called out on a public holiday?