Collecting salt water

livingart

Clean natural salt water can be collected locally in many parts of New Zealand; you just need to ensure it is clean. Collecting about half an hour before high tide is best but not after any recent rain as this can include contaminants from land runoff. Near river mouths or areas where there is a lot of boat activity should be avoided as well for the same reasons. Collected water can be stored indefinitely in sealed containers away from any light sources.

If you are worried about parasites ( I've never had an issue) put water through a 1 micron filter as all parasites are bigger than2 microns

The task of collecting water can be made easier by using a 12V pump that plugs into the vehicles cigarette lighter and then pumping into large sealable, food grade plastic containers.

Collection points around NZ., used by other local reefers.

https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=2833137

livingart said:
Clean natural salt water can be collected locally in many parts of New Zealand; you just need to ensure it is clean. Collecting about half an hour before high tide is best but not after any recent rain as this can include contaminants from land runoff. Near river mouths or areas where there is a lot of boat activity should be avoided as well for the same reasons. Collected water can be stored indefinitely in sealed containers away from any light sources.

The task of collecting water can be made easier by using a 12V pump that plugs into the vehicles cigarette lighter and then pumping into large sealable, food grade plastic containers.

Yeah, 1000L container is the way to do it. :)Actually 2-3 would be best, hard to pull a 1000l tank full of water off the trailer. And I think I'd be tempted to fill the storage tanks with a bunch of liverock.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Doesn't this introduce parasitics and other nasties to your tank?

Do you have a reef tank?

It could but I've never heard of NSW causing issues even in a reef tank. It's a pretty common practice among reefers to use NSW as the price is a fraction of creating ASW.

• 1 month later...