Sophia asked-my snakes.

getarealdog

Yeah i see where people are coming from but im not against tubs, environmental enrichment isn't something snakes favor when compared to silence and food. I cant say iv seen arboreal snakes in this sort of situation (which would be against my view). There is a fine line when anthropomorphism plays a role.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi, my point is why keep venomous snakes if you can't held them in an environment that comes close to their natural habitat ? what a wonderful life that must be for a snake sitting on news paper, looking at four white walls under a white lid which every now and then opens and a rat falls from the sky. my opinion.

Nothing wrong with your opinion, thats what forums are all about. Fish in a bowl, bird in a cage, list goes on & on, go to any zoo with concrete floors, steel bars, nothing natural about that. But in time we learn new ways of doing things, over here we have very little on how to keep venomous snakes in Victoria. We learn from more experience keepers about what works & what doesn't. Their are no studys done on "how to do it" so we learn off those more knowledgeable. I do what works best for me with my top priority being my safety first then the welfare of the animal. Being doing it for 18 years now & as yet no problems. Keep to the 3 things in life (food, water & shelter) & we are headed in the right direction. If ever over this way look me up, would love to show you in more detail about these amazing animals. Cheers

That kinda reminds me of battery hen farms.

Not my cup of tea either. But it is a business for Brian at snakebytes, same as battery hens, puppy farms etc. Supply & demand unfortunately. I do it for the love of the animal & not the almighty $$$. I know of no other private keeper who keeps venomous snakes in outdoor pits where they enjoy all the elements of mother nature. Just my view. Cheers

September15th20097.jpg

November14th201013-1_zps47011cde.jpg

December4th20102.jpg

PC110132.jpg

November12th201122.jpg

PB060203.jpg

If ever over this way look me up, would love to show you in more detail about these amazing animals. Cheers

thanks for that, very appreciated, will do (if I get a visa :wink: ). I totally admire your outside snake pits, no doubt. I think that is something of the best I've ever seen to keep snakes in an as close as natural habitat (and I wish I've had that idea back in the days when I was keeping snakes on an other continent). I for myself just wouldn't keep snakes (or leos for that matter) if I need to keep them in plastic bins. but that's just me.

What does your and their ethnicity have to do with it? Do Tongans see snakes as some kind of spiritual thing?

I'm involved in a couple of "snake" clubs & am yet to meet a fellow maori or any pacific islander who keeps snakes. Apart from my children, all other cuzzy's won't go near them. Snakes, like spiders, most people would rather steer clear of them. And with me keeping alot of venomous snakes that is very hard for a lot of people to understand. Think I'm an odd-ball!

If they were eels the maoris might eat them, if they were turtles the tongans might eat them but all he has to worry about is having aboriginal neighbours.

Classic!

• 2 weeks later...