Our distiller

Carlos & Siran

93 out of 97 is pretty good. The booze does actually improve quite a lot if you are able to keep your hands off it and let it mature even for a few months --years even better.

Oh those were the days. Gin, bourban,whiskey, zambuka,rum, khalua and vodka. Then liquours from fruits. 20 litres at a time. As well as 9 x 200 litre barrels of wine. I don't know where I found the time.

Were putting another wash down tomorrow so we can age it, plus we've a few mates wanting some bourbon which seems to be the most popular.

Alan, we add the correct water then filter it through a carbon filter but there is still a ethanol taste, if we filter it twice would that take the ethanol flavor out or is there some other filter process we could do as well as to smooth it out more?

Looks like you have an ethanol lab as well. It is all about the fermentation and distilation. I used to get mine from a friend at 97% from a very good still he built. it has an afinity for water so you can't distil better than that. Any less and you could be carrying other stuff over as well as water. You can wash it through carbon. I made an inline carbon filter and let it run slowly overnight 20 litres at a time. Coca cola kills most flavours as well as your guts. I gave it up 11 years ago, as well as the coke.

The first thing the yeast does is break the complex sugar to simple sugars like dextrose and the type and ratio of those has a lot to do with the flavour. You can get invert sugar but I have never done that since the yeast inverts it anyway. Yeast does not ferment lactose so they add that to stout to make milk stout (as in Coronation St). Put some under the house and you might be surprised how good it is in a couple of years.

Alan, we add the correct water then filter it through a carbon filter but there is still a ethanol taste, if we filter it twice would that take the ethanol flavor out or is there some other filter process we could do as well as to smooth it out more?

I'm confused - drinking alcohol is ethanol, so what do you mean by the ethanol flavor? :dunno:

How do you prevent methanol traces from ending up in the final product, careful temp control when distilling? do you have to test for methanol? Always wondered this about homemade spirits.