Our distiller

Carlos & Siran

I dunno were not scientists. But when you have a jack Daniels can you taste the ethanol? nope. With our first batch we could, you could smell it too, it was drinkable but rough.

This batch is smooth and has an almost fruity aroma.

24 hrs before distillation we add a product called Turbo clear which removes gases and impurities from the wash. And yes, you have to monitor the temp during distillation constantly (between 55 and 60 degrees) I assume that this has more to do with quality than the final filtration but as I say, we're just beginners, Alan would be able to tell you haw it all works probably.

I dunno were not scientists. But when you have a jack Daniels can you taste the ethanol? nope. With our first batch we could, you could smell it too, it was drinkable but rough.

This batch is smooth and has an almost fruity aroma.

24 hrs before distillation we add a product called Turbo clear which removes gases and impurities from the wash. And yes, you have to monitor the temp during distillation constantly (between 55 and 60 degrees) I assume that this has more to do with quality than the final filtration but as I say, we're just beginners, Alan would be able to tell you haw it all works probably.

I think what you're referring to as "Ethanol" is not ethanol, it's fusels and other byproducts. Generally due to a bad still, wrong temperature or too much at the beginning or end of the run.

Basically it's all the alcohols OTHER THAN ethanol.

Ira is on to it. The fusals are more volatile, contain a lot of the hangovers and come over first. You get a similar thing with concentrating fruit juice. Most is concentrated in the off season on the plate evapourators used for making milk powder and the high temperatures caramalise the sugars and blow off the fusals and aromatics. We had a guy in our patch that used an old machine dating back to the 19th century and it pulled a vacuum which made the juice boil off at a lower temperature so the aromatics remained as did the true colour. It made a very good product but he got done by the then apple and pear marketing board and sold it to some religious outfit. Most people forget that ethanol is a poison (not as bad as methanol) but many nationalities and races have developed to combat it by producing an enzyme to neutralize the toxicity to an extent. This is why some people get completely drunk on a glass of beer. The enzyme is itself put out of action by the drug antabuse which is taken by alcoholics that want to get off the booze and go to real heaven.

The enzyme is itself put out of action by the drug antabuse which is taken by alcoholics that want to get off the booze and go to real heaven.

Yeah, it stops the body from processing the really toxic metabolites so they build up rather than quickly being processed into less toxic ones. One guy I know on it had serious reactions and was hospitalized after using mouthwash with alcohol in it, caused a seizure. Another friend that was on it was found drowned in a neighbor's swimming pool. No real explanation for that one but I suspect it may have been a seizure too, minor ones can result in just severe confusion and disorientation.