NZ Army Officer Training

jc254

Hi all

I go up for a interview on Tuesday for a officers position in the NZ army.

I am 22 yo Male, Degree and a Diploma for education.

been a bar manager for the past three-four years.

Has anyone been through the process and can give me a heads up on types of questions asked and what tests ill sit?

Thanks

After doing national service I became convinced that you have to sit an IQ test and get less than 30. Not being a big time royalist, I refused to sign the oath of allegiance and was threatened with 7 years in Ardmore military prison. I said "so be it" and a week later I found myself before the CO. He was a major of Norwegian extraction and I will remember the conversation until the day I die. " Do you vish to be an officer in ze New Zealand army---No Sir. You do not vish to use your talents to leed ze New Zealand Army--No Sir. Bring in ze next vun." Good luck, might be a good time to start learning Syrian.

Sorry also. My personal experiences of the army and my more recent experiences of relatives in the army make it difficult for me to take them seriously. My partner's daughter is a sargent in the NZ army and her husband is a major. He nearly blew the house up by puting a gas cylinder on the fire to help light it and when investigated further revealed that he had let off a thunderflash at his previous accommodation and blew the door off the hinges and the windows out of the room. He also blew the barrell off my shotgun by not checking if it was clear when reloading. I have to admit that these things have given me a twisted view of the army and I can only hope that your membership might raise the collective IQ. They have got past the communist obsession I hope but may be interested in wether you or any relatives are muslim. I think they have may have moved foreward a little and will get you sitting IQ tests and personality tests. Other than that I can only wish you luck.

No experience with the Army but when my son interviewed for a Helicopter Pilot position in the Airforce they were as much interested in questioning him about life experience as they were about anything else. Make sure you remind yourself of everything you have seen and done and the places you have been before you go. If this is your first interview I suspect you will find you are in for more in depth questioning later and rigorous physical and written testing to find out your academic abilities, your natural responses when things don't go your own way, your leadership abilities etc etc. Good luck :)

To be fair to the mods and others. This is in Off Topic and people cannot resist a little humour. You did not get anything more constructive as it appears nobody here has the answer to your question.

My brother was in the army for 15 years and all he got out of it was alcoholism and a 2 pack a day habit. Thankfully he has now overcome both but it was a long, slow process :-?

I have been an Officer in the RNZAF for almost one year now. The experience has been very good, and I consider it to be my best choice I have made. If after the interview you are considered acceptable, you will go through a three-four day assessment - including presentations, maths, English, physical activity, problem solving and lead activities. They are designed to place you under stress to show your true character.

I was guilty of not showing the Defence Force much "respect" when I was a civilian, however after going through a year worth of training and assessments - I now have a better perspective on life, respect for my fellow man/woman, and have grown allot. It is not something you will relise untill you are in I think, well atleast for me.

The NZDF will give you allot, but you are going to have to be willing to give them allot as well - particularly being an Officer (all eyes will be on you no matter where you go).

Hope it all works out for you.

Regardless of the hilarious grammatical deficiencies and obviously insulting spelling errors, I wish you all the best in your pursuits and hope you enjoy the experience. MS spell check will fix spelling, unfortunately it can'nt fix attitude and personality for those who have an overwhelming sense of unfounded accomplishment.

Be ready for physical pain and late nights/early mornings during your training, you will look back and think it was awsum.

Calm down mate, they're just ribbing. And just because they're not in the military doesn't mean any sense of accomplishment is unfounded. Anyone who goes to work each day and puts in a good effort is accomplishing. And those that do so whilst raising children even more so.

And to move away from the jovial, I have friends in the Airforce, Army and Navy. As with any career it has pros and cons. The big thing is to make the most of any opportunities put in front of you

Is no sense of humor a requirement to get in?

If I want physical pain, late nights/early mornings and a sense of accomplishment, I'll go alpine hiking with friends. You get the added bonus of not getting ordered about by people, and you can wear whatever clothes you like!

The difference is you don't get paid going alpine hiking with friends