I need help ASAP

camtang

I had a power cut last night,did not think anything of it.

I also turned my C02 up a little yesterday, no side affects during yesterday.

I came home from work to find all but dead fish, the filter had not turned back on from this morning.The filter was set to break the water a little and the tank was in perfect harmony.

Now what do I do too savethese fish?

So far I have done too water changes, got the filter going, lwered the water for more surface break, turned off the c02, and install an air stone. I also dragged the fish backwards through the water. ( Is that wise?)

Is there anything else I can do other than cross my fingers?

I will turn the light off then.

Most fish are looking like they are pretty buggerd, same have already stopped swimming :dead%fish &c:ry .

I am hoping the plecos and loachs get through, I am not worried about the other fish in the tank anywere near as much

Drag water/oxygen through the gills. I have heard numorus people do this.

I'd have thought you'd better off pushing them forward through the water if you can hold their mouth open, that's the way their gills are meant to have water flowing over them. What I'd probably be inclined to do is hold its mouth open and put it in front of one of the spray bar's jets. Not too close though, just enough for a steady current.

If you look at this pic, instead of kind of stretching out in the current when the water flows across them normally when the water is flowing backwards they'd tend to fold up and collapse.

fff57cd0f8d912f74ffef7fe9bb0463d.jpg

I will turn the light off then.

Most fish are looking like they are pretty buggerd, same have already stopped swimming :dead%fish &c:ry .

I am hoping the plecos and loachs get through, I am not worried about the other fish in the tank anywere near as much

Plecos are pretty hardy so they should pull through.

I would do a water change everyday for the next week or so.

I'd have thought you'd better off pushing them forward through the water if you can hold their mouth open, that's the way their gills are meant to have water flowing over them. What I'd probably be inclined to do is hold its mouth open and put it in front of one of the spray bar's jets. Not too close though, just enough for a steady current.

Note taken.

Plecos are pretty hardy so they should pull through.

I would do a water change everyday for the next week or so.

Fingers crossed, and I will do that. I am planning on leaving the C02 off for the next couple of days until everything is seeing to be happy again

Most fish don't have a filter going when they get transported from overseas etc.

Just get a powerhead and set it about 1/3 down the side of the tank. Turn it on hard out and point it to the surface of the tank.

As long as the ammonia and NO2 are under control then they should be ok.

Cheers

:tears: So sorry that this has happened to you, and good luck with your remaining fish!

On a sidenote, I don't think you're completely wrong about the fish-dragging thing. I once had a fish jump ship while I was moving tanks and I didn't find it for 20 or 30 minutes. When I found it it was nearly completely dried out and not moving and when I put it back in the water it just floated upside-down. I remembered hearing something about dragging them backwards through the water for some reason so I gave it a go and lo and behold it came back to life. First few times it wriggled a bit and then went belly-up again, but after I'd done it 4 or 5 times it swam back down with the others. Was a bit banged up for a while but I've still got him, 6 months later.

So, there might be some truth to the "dragging fish backwards through water" theory after all. I think of it kind of like fish CPR. I imagine his gills had stuck together as he dried out and the dragging through the water forced them open again, allowing him to breathe (or whatever it is fish do).

Please don't drag a fish through the water backwards (unless you want it to drown) - best way for their gills to collapse.

Their gills are designed in such a way that the water flow over the gills are counter-current, which is basically what you were trying to achieve in the first instance :bggrn:

you are better to blow down its mouth (fish cpr) as long as the gills are wet if you want it to get lots of oxygen in quickly (the air you breath out is heaps higher in oxygen than water). I would assume that the dragging it backwards thing is propogated by people trying it in desperation and not trying anything else. wet gills and oxygen is the key.

Death toll at this stage is 1 harliquin and 1 dwarf chain loach. There is still some odd behaviour going on, I am not use to seeing the Paki and zebra loaches during the day. So I will keep a close eye on it nd fingers crossed the death toll stays at 2.

Thanks all for the input and the learning around not dragging a fish through water.

I had a co2 overdose last week too mate, scary stuff to see all the fish floating or belly up. Massive waterchange, salt dose and lots of surface movement and all the important($) fish came right, lost a few assorted tetras and of course the glass cats as they are first to succumb to gill damage i find. 3 days later everyone is fine :)