Earthquake

Caryl

At least Lyttleton is in the same Island.....

And it was still based at Lyttleton and yet no-one made a song and dance about this fact when it was called the "CHCH earthquake" so why jump up and down about it being the "Wgtn earthquake" - who cares?

The people in Seddon and Marlborough who are hardly getting a mention maybe?

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't know they received just as much damage as Wgtn did - yes it must be awful for them that the media didn't pick up on that.

We went through Seddon earlier this afternoon (we were in ChCh for the majority of these quakes). A TV1 van was parked at the railway station. They are probably there now in hopes that the dam, that has developed cracks, bursts. Seddon has had chimneys down, cladding coming off houses and broken windows. At least they do not have falling masonry from tall buildings like those in Wgtn. They don't go higher than 2 stories in Seddon.

Peter Yealand said the wine silos swayed in a spectacular manner and terrified the staff but his winery was built to withstand about quakes up to 9.0.

Peter Yealand said the wine silos swayed in a spectacular manner and terrified the staff but his winery was built to withstand about quakes up to 9.0.

I find things like that irritating. "Withstand quakes of up to 9.0." From how far away from the epicenter and how deep is it? Magnitude really says little about the actual ground movement that the building is exposed to. My house has survived dozens of earthquakes over 8.5, just none were nearby.

I'm not sure buildings are even rated like that. They should be rated in peak grand acceleration that they can withstand. That's the actual stress the building would be exposed to. I can see some nuclear powerplants are rated in Gal, 1000 gal being roughly 1g, 980 to be exact. Appears many reactors in japan are designed to shut down at 400, .4G or less. For reference Fukushima was hit by about .3.-.6g. The chch quake in some places was over 2000

I haven't been able to find any ground acceleration readings for wellington though.

There are lots of things going on in quakes. One thing that put the frighteners in to me was the picture in the paper of the road in the Greendale shake where the fault went accross the road and one part move 4.2 metres so that the white line was in line with the side of the road. I used to travel that road at least once a week.