What I do in my spare time

F15hguy

Just thought I'd share what I do in my spare time. I'm a member of the Mount Maunganui Penguin Trust

last night went out to set some traps and got a couple of snaps to share.

7jrt.jpg

u9s6.jpg

2le9.jpg

its a bit sad to see how much rubbish is around the rocks.

We have a few colonies in Akaroa harbour. I rescued one in Kaikoura once from under my parked car. Wasn't sure what was going on but a guy with more knowledge than me told me not to put it back in the water as it had come ashore to malt and would only become waterproof after gaining its feathers back and oiling them up. Lovely we guys.

We have a few colonies in Akaroa harbour. I rescued one in Kaikoura once from under my parked car. Wasn't sure what was going on but a guy with more knowledge than me told me not to put it back in the water as it had come ashore to malt and would only become waterproof after gaining its feathers back and oiling them up. Lovely we guys.

sounds like a guy with about the same amount of knowledge as you. :facepalm:

the Little blues come ashore whenever they feel like it, and during certain times of the year they are ashore more than out at sea. best to put them near the rocks where they live while ashore, that way if they want to go to sea they will. if not they will head under a rock until they feel safe to continue on to their burrow. If they are Moulting they will be in their nests and will not come out, even if a rat has a go at them (they are more than a challenge for a rat).

the mount and leisure island have about 500 odd pairs breeding on them. many are closer than you would think. :sage:

anyone who want to come out sometime and join us is welcome and can pm me here, we are always looking for new recruits. no obligation even if you just want to come have a look sometime.

Penguins are cute. When I lived on Waiheke the ferry would plough through the middle of them while they were out doing their synchronised swimming routines. A little scarey but you'd see them floating about in the wake behind.