Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Black background?

Featured Replies

I'm wanting to change my backgrounds to black, but moving the tanks away from the wall to do it really isn't an option.

Anyone got a cheap way to black out the back of your tank? Someone suggested using black felt. I thought of black construction paper but wasn't sure if i'd be able to find big enough bits. My tanks are 4-foot and 5-foot long.

Don't paint it! I hate scraping paint off second hand tanks :nilly:

I used black vinyl fabric stuff from Spotlight for behind my tank, looked just as good as painted IMO.

vinyl would be a good idea. sam's full of good ideas, you will come to learn :)

as long as you can get the black stuff to stick firmly to the back of the tank, it should be okay.

what about duraseal?

I hate scraping paint off second hand tanks

So stop buying tanks with painted background/ use the tank with a painted background. :facepalm:

You can get a blue/black reversable background paper in most pet/fish shops. I found that if I put a tank with it on by a window that it was rather light, so I stuck a bit of poly to it and it made it work much better.

I've never put a background on a tank. I figure if you're noticing the background then the foreground is too boring. :slfg:

So stop buying tanks with painted background/ use the tank with a painted background. :facepalm:

The auction was poorly described and the photo didn't show a painted background :roll:

  • Author

Sam -- that's a good idea. I'll have a look in spotlight.

Duraseal isn't a bad idea but that would be pretty hard to do with the tank against the wall. :dunno:

I've seen those black backgrounds in petshops but I can't really justify paying $20 per tank for a black bit of paper -- I was hoping I could get something cheaper. Plus I don't like how they are shiny.

The idea of a black sheet just occurred to me. They sell black flat sheets for beds for like $10-$15 from the warehouse. I could cut one of those to fit and it would easily do both tanks. Still securing it to the tank would be the hard part...

Don't paint it! I hate scraping paint off second hand tanks :nilly:

I used black vinyl fabric stuff from Spotlight for behind my tank, looked just as good as painted IMO.

Ooo really? No reflection or anything? I'm about to paint my big tank but will avoid it if I can. I've painted one of my small ones and it does look fantastic. The glass is so thick on big tanks I've found paper backgrounds look useless. I'm going for blue also which makes it even harder :lol:

EDIT:

Be careful with material if it get wet and does not dry you may end up with mould

Good point - hadn't thought of that. My fish splash like mad so that'd be no good.

I've never had a problem with reflection on any of my backgrounds, maybe I apply them really well?? :dunno:

I have a sheet of pellet liner (goes between the pellet and bags/boxes etc). It's made of recycled plastic and is mottled in colour, comes in 1200x1000 I think.

Looks darker in real life, excuse the uncleaned back wall :sick:

DSCN1412.JPG

DSCN1413.JPG

photo.jpg

blueether that stuff looks pretty good.

Im in the same boat at the moment with my 600l bowlfront... im thinking of painting black

I paint all of my tanks. Since the paint is directly on the glass, I think it looks better than anything else as you notice backgrounds when there are uneven spots.

It shouldn't be that hard to remove with a decent scraper.

However, seeing Amelia's nice tanks yesterday, I can see why she wouldn't want to paint them. Would be a lot of effort to move.

One of my tanks with painted black background. It pretty much hides the massive filter in the corner and gives it heaps of depth. The colours of the plants and fish pop too.

vAmzawv.jpg

  • Author

Agreed about the black BG -- it draws the eye to the foreground rather than the background, kinda makes the tank look less boxy.

P.S I see cories in that photo. :nfs:

Although it wont help in your situation of not being able to move your tank, black vinyl from a sign writer or similar is the best IMO.

Stuck to the glass you get a even, flat look with no glare, wont fall off and the ease of just pulling it off in the future. Can get any colour under the sun too! Did my tank for about $20 (applied myself).

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.