Black background?

Amelia

I'm wanting to change my backgrounds to black, but moving the tanks away from the wall to do it really isn't an option.

Anyone got a cheap way to black out the back of your tank? Someone suggested using black felt. I thought of black construction paper but wasn't sure if i'd be able to find big enough bits. My tanks are 4-foot and 5-foot long.

I hate scraping paint off second hand tanks

So stop buying tanks with painted background/ use the tank with a painted background. :facepalm:

You can get a blue/black reversable background paper in most pet/fish shops. I found that if I put a tank with it on by a window that it was rather light, so I stuck a bit of poly to it and it made it work much better.

Sam -- that's a good idea. I'll have a look in spotlight.

Duraseal isn't a bad idea but that would be pretty hard to do with the tank against the wall. :dunno:

I've seen those black backgrounds in petshops but I can't really justify paying $20 per tank for a black bit of paper -- I was hoping I could get something cheaper. Plus I don't like how they are shiny.

The idea of a black sheet just occurred to me. They sell black flat sheets for beds for like $10-$15 from the warehouse. I could cut one of those to fit and it would easily do both tanks. Still securing it to the tank would be the hard part...

Don't paint it! I hate scraping paint off second hand tanks :nilly:

I used black vinyl fabric stuff from Spotlight for behind my tank, looked just as good as painted IMO.

Ooo really? No reflection or anything? I'm about to paint my big tank but will avoid it if I can. I've painted one of my small ones and it does look fantastic. The glass is so thick on big tanks I've found paper backgrounds look useless. I'm going for blue also which makes it even harder :lol:

EDIT:

Be careful with material if it get wet and does not dry you may end up with mould

Good point - hadn't thought of that. My fish splash like mad so that'd be no good.

I paint all of my tanks. Since the paint is directly on the glass, I think it looks better than anything else as you notice backgrounds when there are uneven spots.

It shouldn't be that hard to remove with a decent scraper.

However, seeing Amelia's nice tanks yesterday, I can see why she wouldn't want to paint them. Would be a lot of effort to move.

One of my tanks with painted black background. It pretty much hides the massive filter in the corner and gives it heaps of depth. The colours of the plants and fish pop too.

vAmzawv.jpg

Although it wont help in your situation of not being able to move your tank, black vinyl from a sign writer or similar is the best IMO.

Stuck to the glass you get a even, flat look with no glare, wont fall off and the ease of just pulling it off in the future. Can get any colour under the sun too! Did my tank for about $20 (applied myself).