June 30, 201313 yr Author comment_532748 Cemix Builders sand from Bunnings, ~$8 for 25kg. just don't believe them when they tell you it is "washed"... That pic was taken with one poxy old 4' fluro on the tank with the rather average [in poor light] camera on my phone, so it doesn't really show the sand that well. It is the same stuff I had in my 1400L, there's pics in the link in my signature, it is nice and natural looking and completely inert. I've added a couple of kgs of beach sand to help buffer it or else rain water + lots of wood = pH <5... Report
June 30, 201313 yr comment_532855 you know what that piece of wood is... its spectacular! :sml1: no really, its awesome, nice how the 'trunk' is far ont he corner and looks like the tree roots are growing into the centre of the tank. also leaves plenty of room for the black aro. nice, cant wait to see it fully upa nd running! Report
July 2, 201313 yr comment_533119 :love: Whistle..whistle...the wood" David :thup: cant wait till I come up to your place for some wood hunting.. :rolfl: Report
July 3, 201313 yr Author comment_533169 Spraybar done, everything running as it should be! I'm pretty happy with how quiet it is for the amount of water that is being moved, will be even quieter once the pump is sitting up on a sponge. http://youtu.be/Gal9R8epz8w I'm about to head into town to get some C-channel to mount the lights, and I'm going to start heating it tonight. Only problem I've found with the Poret is it isn't rigid enough to support itself against the flow of water, I'm going to try track down some egg crate to put behind the last sheet to keep it from sagging too much. The aim is to have fish in it by the end of the month, fingers crossed! ps. are these pics working for non-MFK people? Report
July 3, 201313 yr comment_533170 Looking awesome mate Will look amazing if you do happen to get a bunch or peruvians in there Report
July 3, 201313 yr comment_533175 Looks good (photos are working, but I do have a MFK account, but haven't logged in in ages) Report
July 3, 201313 yr comment_533200 Love the look of that poret foam, if I go down the breeding lots of fish route again I would be tempted to use it. Report
July 3, 201313 yr comment_533207 Only problem I've found with the Poret is it isn't rigid enough to support itself against the flow of water, I'm going to try track down some egg crate to put behind the last sheet to keep it from sagging too much. Why don't you push it back against the next glass partition? I know it will reduce the area of foam it will go through but will still work. Report
July 3, 201313 yr Author comment_533229 Because I've finally managed to track down some of that plastic egg crate stuff the yanks and aussies are always using for cool stuff but we can't get! (Thanks Hovmoller) I'll have a piece of that supporting the last piece of foam and that should keep the others from bowing too much. Report
July 3, 201313 yr comment_533246 Looking good David! Is the sand staying put with all that flow? Report
July 3, 201313 yr Author comment_533250 It is now that I've made a spray bar, it certainly wasn't before! Report
July 3, 201313 yr comment_533264 I like that run over design on that section of the sump. Very nice stuff Report
July 6, 201313 yr Author comment_533467 The difference between a $5 thermometer and a $40 thermometer? About 6C! So the tank was actually warm, but I've added another couple of 300W heaters (five total now) which will all be run off a controller once Henwards Father-in-law has finished building it. Thinking about adding some fish tomorrow! Report
July 6, 201313 yr comment_533474 Now I am doubting my temp readings. Can't wait to see the fish in that pool of a tank :spop: Report
July 6, 201313 yr comment_533484 Oh man, I wonder if I was cooking my nano all that time? Looking forward to seeing the fish in place. Report
July 6, 201313 yr comment_533485 I have a cooking thermometer to regularly check my temps. cooking thermometers are quite reliable and made to ensure they are accurate. but yeah, those cheap ones are not very reliable and good, I would stick to good thermometers. reptile thermometers HAVE to be good, otherwise the lizard will freeze:D post pic when fish added! Report
July 6, 201313 yr Author comment_533488 You could test it with a slurry of ice and water, it should be pretty close to zero. or as Krazy_Geoff suggested "calibrate" the cheap ones off a good one by writing the difference on them. The expensive one above is within <0.5C of the temp on the controller for my heaters, so unless they're both equally inaccurate ... (along with my TDS pen, the temp on all three is within a few tenths). I've played around with the lights and the shadows from the bracing are unavoidable. So the 30W floods will be used for lighting the deck and bbq, and I'll be looking at either these; http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-PACK-DEAL-48- ... 337ff52d00 or these; http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-suppli ... -inch.html Thinking four 36" units suspended about 20-30cm above the tank should work well. Report
July 6, 201313 yr comment_533495 You could test it with a slurry of ice and water, it should be pretty close to zero. At standard air pressure a slurry of ice and water will be exactly 0° It's actually the definition of 0°C. Report
July 6, 201313 yr Author comment_533525 How to make a 17cm Geophagus look small and lost... They seem to really like having the big open space, the only decor at the moment is the stump and they went straight under it when I put them in there, came back an hour later and they're out exploring the open and re-establishing their pecking order... Next mission is building a drip tray, and possibly tidying the garage... :oops: Report
July 7, 201313 yr comment_533526 That's amazing David. The geos look tiny! They'll love the space. Report
July 7, 201313 yr Author comment_533536 Video of the sump running, no commentary as I didn't want the foreigners laughing at our terrible accent!! http://youtu.be/HXCLBmZJy80 Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.