My 1400 litre project! PART 2

jasonnz

Hi all -

To get an idea of what I have done with my tank and where I have come from - it might be useful to read my build thread here :

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=59027 - This should give you a good idea as to what I have done.

So .. I have the a tank that is 50% completed. What I mean by that is I have the tank .. the stand (although it's ugly as hell) and the following:

1. Mint substrate

2. Good water consistency

3. Good filtration

4. t5 lighting

5. Fish

And I "had" plants. Now my issue was - my selection of fish .. and my lighting.

I thought everything was sweet and I was on the home straight to success, however let's take a quick look at the state of the tank now :

xrvnrqxg.vzd.jpg

As you can clearly see - it has turned to custard. It was 90% complete and then I ran out of time and energy.

Well - I'm back at it .. and now is the beginning of round 2. First up was a new tank. The Aqua One Aquience 1800 600 Litre badboy was setup on the weekend. This is housing my "destructive fish". Leaving my main planted tank - with peaceful non-disruptive in habitants.

vh2qep0o.54p.jpg

I will add some updates covering :

1. Lighting

2. Stand and Hood (which will be built)

3. New planting

4. New HardScape - Yeah .. I know the first layout was terrible.

So Plans :

1. Changing from T5 to High Tech LED lighting.

2. Building a hood for my tank.

3. Finish the skirting on the stand .. and finish the façade so it looks good.

4. Correct fish this time.

5. New hardscape

6. New Plants.

Stay tuned.

Wow lol, those tanks are like $2000!

Well worth every cent. It's a drop compared to what I am spending rejuvenating my planted tank :)

Largest tank I could find at short notice.

Dachende is right.. got the tank for the destructive fish to live in.

Well worth every cent. It's a drop compared to what I am spending rejuvenating my planted tank :)

Largest tank I could find at short notice.

Dachende is right.. got the tank for the destructive fish to live in.

It is a nice looking tank I will admit, can't wait to see your other one finished though lol.

Yeah my clown loaches gang has reached 13 now and they're taking a pretty hard toll on some of my plants, especially when they're eating the snails and eggs as they seem to puncture the leaves to get them all. I'm hoping once all the snails are gone that they start easing up on them.

I ran out of plants before I ran out of snails :P

I kid you not though .. In the days since most of the destructive fish have been out of the tank (I'm yet to catch a couple) I'm already seeing my Glosso start to make a comeback which is great.

Pictures of what I have been up to : First up some setup pics from the new 600 litre we installed.

0artg3c3.yag.jpg

Flat packed stand

iwbmkn2d.fmn.jpg

Assembled .. We had to do this 3 times .. (don't even ask).

iwbmkn2d.fmn.jpg

Tank being unwrapped. A good friend of mine standing guard.

dwakwcgh.izn.jpg

Tank in Place : Took 4 of use to lift it

01nysbr0.knd.jpg

New substrate in

2icfrm4s.5om.jpg

Scaped and time to fill. We used 50% water from the big tank (around 280 litres) and used a quick start and new water mix to top it up. One of the canister filters from the other tank is not on this new tank.

4aw232y0.zus.jpg

NEW TANK COMPLETE. I borrowed some scape from the big tank so the fishies feel like they are at home.

djzlw300.efh.jpg

Today we installed the new LED light system on the main tank .. I also designed a hood which I will be building this weekend.

More soon.

New light setup today. Removed the T5HO setup.

Installed 2 x 80cm and 1 x 40cm LED setup.

kn2cmwz5.n0q.jpg

Lights on :

eafgzhrk.x32.jpg

Controllers are mounted on the back of the cabinet.

At the hardware store trying to visualise and work out the hood setup. This part is going to be an aluminium frame which the lights attach to and which opens with hinges to give me full access to the top of the tank without the need to lift anything out of the way. (that's my very supportive wife)

lb20oemf.2lm.jpg

A base hood will sit around the outside and there will be a top on the hood. This is an example.

nzmhq2ec.x3j.png

This is the type of look I'm heading for :

mcyty0zv.ei4.jpg

The hood will be a bit slimmer on top though.